“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cork, Ireland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

My boyfriend & I stayed in the Parknasilla for 1 night a few weeks ago. We heard the hotel had been recently renovated & were expecting good things!

Unfortunately it seems they renovated part of the hotel only - and the room we were in, was clearly not recently renovated.

The room was very dated and badly in need of being painted, The bathroom was especially shoddy, with very old tiles, paint, bath, shelves etc.... We were situated on the ground floor with no view whatsoever, except people passing directly outside the window, meaning we had to keep the curtains closed.

The flex on the hairdryer (which couldn't be removed from the drawer) was so short, you nearly had to kneel down on the floor to use it properly. Even the towels were of very poor quality, for hotel standards. There was a full length mirror coming off the wall in our room, which when opened back led to a closet with pipes etc... that should clearly have been closed off. Furthermore the television reception was terrible, most of the channels were fuzzy & we could not fix it.

The spa / swimmng pool was only adequate. The stairs leading to it were in the main reception area, which means that all guests coming to & from this area have to walk through the main entrance / reception area in their bathrobes / slippers etc...

To top it all off, there was NO HOT WATER the following morning in the shower. We mentioned this at check out & got a small discount. As for the rest of the hotel, there didn't seem to be any point in complaining about the dated rooms & decor, as they are clearly aware of this themselves.

The decking outside the hotel & view over the bay was lovely, but unfortunately was of no use to us, seeing as it was raining the whole time we were there.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
waterford eire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

After reading the reviews just days before we left it was with a collective sigh of relief that we inspected our bedroon. We stayed with our two children aged 19 and 21 for three nights recently. Thankfully overall a positive experience. Would have liked a bit more attention to detail. The socket for the hair drier didnt work and being on the ground floor they should have had a net curtain on the window. Though a lot smaller the lads had no problem with their room. The tv channels were a hit and miss. One night we had none at all. On their web site it stated there was internet access in the bed rooms which wasnt there. The cloth on the snooker table was torn and when we asked for ping pong balls we were told they were waiting to come in. We went and bought our own. Considering the weather is so bad they should really have made an effort in that area. On our second morning at breakfast we were left waiting for tea with the result we were almost finished when it did arrive. On our third morning we had to queue 15 mins for breakfast. The pool and thermal suites were brilliant. The location is fab. Staff pleasant and friendly.

Stayed August 2008
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I booked a night in a junior suite as a treat for myself and my wife for a romantic night away. I found the room clean and well kitted out, but then again I was paying over 300 euro, so was expecting excellence. On the good points, the hotel itself is very old worldly and ornate with really excellent grounds for walking in and a spectacular setting. The pool and sauna are also nice, and the wife especially liked the spa facilities. There were 2 main let downs. First the lobby and public areas were overrun with children running around screaming, which was not the quite getaway we wanted (I would advise couples and older people to avoid this hotel). Second, the service was very patchy; I would recommend avoiding the restaurant especially, which is grossly over-priced with hopeless waiting staff and service and mediocre food. To summarise, nice hotel but certainly not worth the money.

• Liked — Scenary and location
  • Disliked — Hoardes of screaming kids
Kenmare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed here for one night after a family occasion it was fantastic from the seamless arranging of the event to the genuinely beautiful rooms. I organized a surprise dinner for my parents recently I wanted somewhere special and luxurious. I was actually not going to post a review as I had such a good time I would not have believed that anyone could have a bad word to say I was writing about another place and decided to see the Parknasilla page and could not really believe the negative reviews. I felt it necessary to praise the team there for the great experience we had.

I began to arrange this event in March firstly I spoke with the manager, Klaus expecting that he would put me in touch with an events person or a restaurant manager as our booking was only for 10 and we would only need 5 rooms but he was amazing and gave me all the time and information I needed, even though I did not book that day with him I knew from his attitude and approach that I would have the evening in that hotel such was his way.

After many emails and phone calls the night arrived and we checked in around6pm greeted at the door by Denis we were all checked in and sipping on cool drinks within 20 minutes!! The new rooms are really nice and to be fair they are far ahead of the old rooms but as Klaus explained this is an ongoing project and they are working hard every winter to develop a further area. Having been on the web site and seeing the rooms I was delighted to pay and get the sea view rooms for my family but on the overall scheme of things I would say the mountain views represent value for money too at those rates.

We agreed to meet in the bar at 8pm and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine before dinner. The meal was served in the main part of the restaurant due to the size of our party and in fairness I could not have been happier. The entire evening was a success from the professional understated service to the amazing food.

The next morning we arose a little later than normal to a busy restaurant the staff were excellent and got us our table from the previous night! Which we were not expecting! Once again the service and the food were top class.

Overall I would say that they have done a great job to this legend of Irish Hotels!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — departing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I was with trepidation that I made my way to Parknasilla after reading recent reviews here. Thankfully I wasn't swayed and went away for a child free weekend with my husband. We had not been to the hotel for over 7 years and it has changed hands in the meantime. We found the staff friendly and helpful at all times. The athmosphere was relaxed and not in your face.

The food was good, dinner menu changes ever day. Staff answered andy questions regarding ingredients and repected my husbands wish of no sauce. The fresh fruit at breakfast was lovely, but I didn't like the buffet scrambled eggs (but they made me a boiled egg instead).

The spa and the pool area were lovely. The outside hot tubs in the pouring rain was an experience! The grounds were beautiful, so make the effort to do some walks there. There were older (7 plus) children at dinner. To be honest as we were on a weekend without the kids this was great as it was very civilised with no kids runing around. There were kids in the bar but they were well behaved and created no problems. The room we had was nice, looking into the wood. There was a little mould in the bathroom on the wallpaper (I am mistified as to why people put wallpaper in the bathroom), some carpets were torn and worn in the halls but I suppose it is not trying to be a contempary hotel, they want to be a friendly old pile.

Overall, I relaxed on the holiday. The staff were without exception friendly and helpful and things go slowly there, which was what we wanted.

• Liked — scenery, relaxed athmosphere
  • Disliked — hoovering at 9 in the morning!
wicklow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

We have just returned from 3 nights stay in Parknasilla and couldn't wait to leave.We were so looking forward to our stay and were so dissapointed. When we arrived to check in we were ignored by the reception staff for about ten minutes. we were finally checked in by a very grumpy receptionist who gave us no information on the hotel. We were staying in the villas which were about a ten minute walk from the Hotel whiche meant we had to drive up and down to the hotel as we had two small children and an elderly gentlman in our party. The Hotel advertises itself as child friendly which couldn't be further from the truth. Children are not allowed in the dining room which is OK but there is nowhere else to eat after five thirty with your children. The pool is really cold and closes at 7pm.
We found the majority of the staff unfriendly and unhelpful with the odd exception. At lunch one afternoon in the bar a waitress accidentally poured a pot of boiling water over my mother's legs. I am a nurse and immediately took her to the toilet to check her leg. The hotel staff were very slow to respond and didnt seem to have a first aid kit. I had to suggest to them to call a doctor. We were left in the ladies toilets to our own devices. They then had the audacity to charge us for the lunch (which we didnt eat).

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — every thing else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank louWicklow
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

My girlfriend and I had been looking forward to staying in Parknasilla for some time and after the major restoration work had been completed earlier this year we thought it the perfect time to stay so we booked for two nights over the long weekend. Our first impression was very good with lovely grounds and the main house looking fantastic, PJ the conceirge was very nice and polite however Lanika that booked us in was rude and clearly didnt want to be there, when we entered our room we were completely shocked it was the worst room I have ever seen the decor, size, and condition was an absalute disgrace. Our mountain view was of a wall and the kitchen staff were looking in our window so we had to keep the curtains closed, the TV looked ten years old and we could only pick up two channels which we had to tune in ourselves by using a cup to hold up the aerial! The bathroom was filthy and tiny and was in major need of a overhaul. When we rung down to reception we got a cranky Lanika again who was unbelivably rude and practicaly hung up, Juliet then rang back who was'nt much better and wouldnt change our room even though 40 guests were yet to check in. They would not cancel our second night without the full charge apparently a 72 hour cancelation applies so we rang the manager who was the worst of all and claimed i was the only person to ever complain even though when we checked out the lady ahead of us was complaining about her room and Sheen Falls got 3 couples that night from Parknasilla, we also tryed Aghadoe Heights for a room and the lady said she gets alot of business from Parknasilla guests leaving! We eventually stayed the first night and couldnt wait to leave in the morning it was the worst we ever experienced in a hotel and when we arrived in Sheen Falls for our second night found we were upgraded to a suite to make up for our bad experience the night before, now that is proper service! Photo's will follow

• Liked — PJ
  • Disliked — Room and staff
4 Thank 55D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 39 in Killarney
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!