“Its Lovely.. but......”

Dublin
“Its Lovely.. but......”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A mid-stay review!
I decided to stay in Ireland this year and rent a holiday cottage that was attached to a large hotel to enjoy the facilities. I rented a 3 bed woodland villa.
The Positives:
- The location and setting is lovely. Its quiet and picture postcard nearly everywhere you look
- The Villa is quite large and could easily house 6 adults with 2 double bedrooms and one twin room.
- kitchen in villa has everything that you would need for basic stay.
- Outdoor hot tub to die for
- Breakfast- we ventured up one day and you can tell that quality food is being used. it is delish

The negatives
- The temp in the pool is a little cold. With the number of young children around you could not leave them in the pool for any length of time
- The water pump in the villa--OMG this is so loud everytime the you flush the toilet or run the tap
- whilst the floor appear clean having a 1 year old crawl around shows up that they are actually not overly clean and havent been washed inbetween stays.

I have yet to try a treatment in the spa.. booked in for one!

I really want to give this more than 3 stars but i feel the negatives of this let it down a little. in saying that would I come back again... Probably yes.??

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Scoopy_1,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our three bed self catering villas and availed of the many hotel facilities. I was disappointed to read that you found the swimming pool temperature to be cold as we ensure it is at a constant 29 degrees. I have spoken with our Spa Manager who is aware of your feedback. If water is used in the villas, the noise of the tank refilling can be heard as the water tank is located at the top of the stairs. All villas are fully serviced between stays however there is no excuse for a dirty floor and I have spoken to our Accommodation Manager to ensure this does not happen again. If you wish to discuss your review further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillaresort.com.
Ruth O'Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Cork
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed in the lodges with my family. From the first impression the hotel looked old and out dated. The carpet in the hotel needs serious changing. The food is expensive for what you get. In the lodge then while having a shower upstairs the water started leaking into the kitchen/sitting room area. There was a big crack in the ceiling also which is very dangerous.
A manager wrote in another review saying it is only a 4 star but why is it listed under 5 star on the website five star hotels Ireland. I don't know who gives out ratings in Ireland for hotels but they don't do a very good job or else there standards aren't as high as other countries.

1 Thank Thomas555
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Thomas555,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our lodges are very popular and we receive many compliments about them. I am sorry that the shower leaked during your stay, regretfully issues can arise that require maintenance and I am sure if you had informed us of that issue that we would have dealt with it immediately. While some of the hotel has been refurbished we are continually trying to improve our product where possible and further refurbishment is scheduled later this year. The hotel is a four star hotel but this does not excuse poor service, If you wish to discuss your review further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillaresort.com.

uk
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had three wonderful days in August to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary and we could not have chosen a better place than the Parknasilla. It really is a lovely hotel in a most beautiful setting and we had a room that overlooked the mountains and sea. Prosecco and chocolates greeted us in our room on arrival and throughout, the staff were friendly, helpful and extremely professional. All the food was glorious, breakfasts and evening meals. If this is what heaven is like then I don't mind going there!!

Room Tip: Mountain and/or Sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear x_kt_x,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you chose to stay at Parknasilla for your special birthday celebration. Our team are our greatest asset and I look forward to sharing your comments with them. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla in the future.

Norfolk, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were renting a home down the road from the Parknasilla Resort and went over one day to walk the grounds. We had perfect weather and walked beautiful trails along the water and through the woods and onto the island trails. We saw some seals sunning themselves on rocks, beautiful flowers, moss covered forests and lovely sea birds. After and hour and a half of trekking around we had a small lunch which was fairly reasonably priced considering the grand surroundings. Afterwards we took a walk down the Fairy Trail where you'll find over 20 small fairy houses nestled in among the woods and tree trunks. (there's a map you can get at the front desk just in case). These were so fun to look for and each one was so darling, even though my 7 year old would have loved it, the three of us (in our 40's, 50's and 60's) had a great time looking for them.

1 Thank maggietate
Dear maggietate,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to Parknasilla and had a chance to walk our many trails around the resort. The fairy trail is very popular with both children and adults. I hope the next time your are in the area you will come and stay. I look forward to sharing your comments will all the team.

Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just finished a three day stay at the Parknasilla Hotel.
The positives : First, its location - it is quite simply located in one of the most beautuful places in Ireland - lovely gardens and right beside the sea.
Second, the staff - we found them to be exceptionally considerate and very professional in their roles.
Third, the spa - an amazing facility which takes full advantage of the spectacular Kenmare Bay views.
Fourth, value for money - we felt the B&B charge at €120 per room per night represented reasonably good value for money.
The negatives :
First, the bedrooms - notwithstanding the €120 room and breakfast charge per night, we felt the bedrooms and some of the common areas are in need of a serious upgrading. Our room had peeling ceiling paint and some shoddy fixtures and fittings (for example : no bedside reading lights and outdated cabinets !). There was also no safe in the room which we found quite odd.
Second, the food - the dinner menu didn't vary during our stay and the food itself was pricey and of quite mediocre quality (e.g. overcooked chicken and tired vegatables). A typical three course dinner without wine is €40-€45 per person which I felt justified a much higher quality food preparation and presentation. Breakfasts were predominantly buffet (which is fine) but again the quality of some of the offerings (e.g. the scrambled eggs) left much to be desired.
Overall though, I would give the hotel an enthusiastic thumbs up ! It's now under new ownership and I wish it every success. It has the makings of a wonderful hotel.
We will, I hope, be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the boiler - they are uncomfortably hot!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gulliver077,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the spa, views and the gardens. While some of the bedrooms have been refurbished we are continually trying to improve our product where possible. Although we do not have safes in our bedrooms we do have safety deposit boxes available at reception. I was disappointed to note your comments about the food as we continually receive great feedback. The A la Carte dinner menu is based on ingredients that are available during each season and like many restaurants it does not change daily, however we always have a special which changes daily. Our staff are our biggest asset and I look forward to sharing you very kind comments about them. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the future.

Yorkshire
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a stunning spot - wonderful views from every location. We stayed in a 2-bedroom lodge but had all the facilities of the hotel's spa and gardens etc. The lodge was astonishingly good value - €120 per night for two bed suites, living/dining/kitchen/patio area plus all the equipment you could need. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Consider a self-catering lodge - you can still dine/breakfast in the main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SDCYorkshire,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. It was great to receive your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in the Woodland Villas which were great for families very spacious, well equipped and just round the corner to a lovely playground. We had a fabulous holiday not only a beautiful place but great for kids, my daughter especially loved the fairy trail in the woods. Hotel is 5 mins walk away from the villas. Breathtaking views from hotel overlooking the sea. Lovely walks in the woods, beach, swimming pool and outdoor hot tubs were fabulous. Hotel service and food were second to none. Definitely will be coming back in the future! Only negative comment would be the noise of the boilers in the villas are very loud!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear emmacowley,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay including the children's facilities especially the new playground and the standard of service and dining on the resort. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team. I hope to welcome you and the family back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa.

Ruth O'Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,479 reviews

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!