“It's really lovely, but..........”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wicklow, Ireland
“It's really lovely, but..........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just finished a three day stay at the Parknasilla Hotel.
The positives : First, its location - it is quite simply located in one of the most beautuful places in Ireland - lovely gardens and right beside the sea.
Second, the staff - we found them to be exceptionally considerate and very professional in their roles.
Third, the spa - an amazing facility which takes full advantage of the spectacular Kenmare Bay views.
Fourth, value for money - we felt the B&B charge at €120 per room per night represented reasonably good value for money.
The negatives :
First, the bedrooms - notwithstanding the €120 room and breakfast charge per night, we felt the bedrooms and some of the common areas are in need of a serious upgrading. Our room had peeling ceiling paint and some shoddy fixtures and fittings (for example : no bedside reading lights and outdated cabinets !). There was also no safe in the room which we found quite odd.
Second, the food - the dinner menu didn't vary during our stay and the food itself was pricey and of quite mediocre quality (e.g. overcooked chicken and tired vegatables). A typical three course dinner without wine is €40-€45 per person which I felt justified a much higher quality food preparation and presentation. Breakfasts were predominantly buffet (which is fine) but again the quality of some of the offerings (e.g. the scrambled eggs) left much to be desired.
Overall though, I would give the hotel an enthusiastic thumbs up ! It's now under new ownership and I wish it every success. It has the makings of a wonderful hotel.
We will, I hope, be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the boiler - they are uncomfortably hot!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Gulliver077,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the spa, views and the gardens. While some of the bedrooms have been refurbished we are continually trying to improve our product where possible. Although we do not have safes in our bedrooms we do have safety deposit boxes available at reception. I was disappointed to note your comments about the food as we continually receive great feedback. The A la Carte dinner menu is based on ingredients that are available during each season and like many restaurants it does not change daily, however we always have a special which changes daily. Our staff are our biggest asset and I look forward to sharing you very kind comments about them. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the future.

Ruth O'Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a stunning spot - wonderful views from every location. We stayed in a 2-bedroom lodge but had all the facilities of the hotel's spa and gardens etc. The lodge was astonishingly good value - €120 per night for two bed suites, living/dining/kitchen/patio area plus all the equipment you could need. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Consider a self-catering lodge - you can still dine/breakfast in the main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear SDCYorkshire,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. It was great to receive your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in the Woodland Villas which were great for families very spacious, well equipped and just round the corner to a lovely playground. We had a fabulous holiday not only a beautiful place but great for kids, my daughter especially loved the fairy trail in the woods. Hotel is 5 mins walk away from the villas. Breathtaking views from hotel overlooking the sea. Lovely walks in the woods, beach, swimming pool and outdoor hot tubs were fabulous. Hotel service and food were second to none. Definitely will be coming back in the future! Only negative comment would be the noise of the boilers in the villas are very loud!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear emmacowley,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay including the children's facilities especially the new playground and the standard of service and dining on the resort. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team. I hope to welcome you and the family back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa.

Warmest Regards
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have recently returned from a break away in this magical mystical hotel set in the most amazing location . On arrival we met with our dear friends to celebrate my husbands birthday over a wonderful breakfast fit for a King. As well as a buffet, one could order from a menu, sea bass being one of the popular choices. I must admit to being a little spoilt as on entering our room found that we had the most amazing suite and would have happily sat there all weekend looking at the beautiful view. Thanks to Ann she had added a lot of personal touches. Wine, chocolates even the local carrot cake went down a treat ! All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The leisure centre was a great hit and we happily splashed away there for a couple of hours. On the deck there are two hot tubs which look out on the most amazing views . It's very serene and peaceful. We dined like Kings and Queens( must not forget the ladies ) that night in the dining room on Oysters and Monkfish washed down with a beautiful selection of red wines.

The next morning after breakfast we ventured out for a walk on the islands surrounding the hotel and then visited their herb garden . ( All the veg, grown are used in the hotel ) I did notice that the flowers that are on display in the hotel are also grown there. A nice touch I thought.!

We were lucky enough to get a viewing of the holiday lodges and again I was not disappointed. They are of a really high quality and are perfect for a young family or a group weekend away, and one has the added advantage of using the Hotel facilities.

Thank you to all the staff of Parknasilla for making our weekend away such a memorable and enjoyable experience. I look forward to visiting you again in the Autumn. ( My birthday, better start dropping hints soon )

Parknasilla truly is in a world of its own , unfortunately one I was sorry to have to leave .

Room Tip: Mention if its a special occasion . I'm sure they will oblige.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YvonneBarrett
Dear YvonneBarrett,

Thank you for finding the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. I look forward to sharing your review with all the staff here especially Ann who is a great asset to the hotel. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

drogheda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

stayed in the 3 bed villas called" Woodlands", very well finished although a little dark due to trees, very clean, good size, finished to a good standard ! great walks through the woods, tennis, archery, boating, fishing. views from hotel + outdoor hot tubs fantastic ! village of sneem close by with o,sheas pub great for food, hotel a little expensive for a family and portions a little small but tasty. will be back next year for sure , might try 2 bed lodges as they are a little nearer to hotel . don't miss the guided walk with lorna, most enjoyable !!!!!

Room Tip: if booking a villa, ask for one that does not back onto trees !!!!!!!!!!
1 Thank terry m
Dear terry m,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and availed of the many hotel facilities. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team here especially Lorna who is a great asset to the team. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla in the very near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I brought my husband to parknasilla for our first wedding anniversary in July and it was an amazing stay. I booked penthouse suite, the views were just wonderful, great location, very good food in the restaurant, helpful staff! Everything was great. The only thing is that when we went to use the spa facilities jacuzzi and pool there were lot of kids in the pool that did not make the atmosphere as romantic as we hoped for. I dare to suggest to keep the pool open for kids and families until the afternoon and then keep it for young couples in the evening to make everyone happy. It feels like a great family place and we definitely felt in love with the place, highly recommend it!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank dashavi
Dear Dashavi,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you chose to celebrate your first wedding anniversary here at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay. The swimming pool has adult only time from 8am to 10am and 6pm to 8pm each day. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team here. I hope to welcome you back for your second anniversary.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have recently returned from a two night stay at The Parknasilla. There were 5 of us in our group.
My mother had an accident some weeks before & was on crutches. When we pulled up we were expecting a bigger entrance to the hotel, but we discovered the entrance was a small door leading into a long corridor, we had to unload the bags & quickly move the car as we were blocking an entrance to another car park, I think it may have been the staff car park. The check in is not great, if there are a few people checking in the reception area would get very crowded & tight for space. There is no concierge desk, a bit disappointing for a 5 star hotel! If reception staff are busy checking in guests, where can other guests get information from?
The whole common areas could really do with updating, maybe a fresh coat of paint & new carpets.
Our room was on the third floor & the other rooms were on the second floor. We all took the lift on the first day. Our room was OK, nothing to rave about. The bathroom was a bit of a death trap once you had a shower, there was no curtain or shower door on the shower, so the floor got extremely wet. There were no bath robes or slippers in our room, we were next to a store room & we just helped ourselves to two robes & slippers. Our room looked out onto the car park. There is no air conditioning in the rooms.
Our other family member’s room had a beautiful view onto the bay & had a lovely walk out balcony just above the conservatory.
My & myself booked into the Spa for a manicure & pedicure & for what we paid for it, we were again disappointed, my aunt got the hot stone massage & she was very happy with her treatment.
My aunt & myself than made use of the hot tub. This was amazing, the views were just stunning.
The pool area was quite busy with families.
We were booked into the restaurant that night & we had a beautiful dinner. The restaurant staff were very friendly. There were one guy in particular, I think his name was Paul or John, sorry I cannot remember, but he was a very jolly guy & very pleasant.
The next morning were down in the hot tube & pool area for 8am & this was lovely & quite & relaxing, we than had breakfast & was also very nice. That morning the lift was being repaired on the third floor, but there was no sign placed on the first or second floor making guests aware of this. When we returned that evening, they had placed signs on all floors. The lift was then out of action until we were checking out. Not ideal when someone is on crutches. This hotel is not wheelchair friendly or for anyone with walking difficulties. The lift is tiny!
Make sure to do the walk around the grounds, as this is a really nice walk. For the kids they have a Fairy trail, this is great. They provide maps at the reception area & you have to search the woods for the fairy’s houses.
The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from Sneem & it would be dangerous to walk this as the roads are very narrow. There is not much in Sneem, there is much more life in Kenmare. A taxi from the Hotel to Sneem is €8to €10 & to Kenmare is about €30 to €35.
Although we all really enjoyed our weekend, I would not stay here again. It was expensive & the Spa was expensive & I would not rate the hotel as a 5 star. I think for what we paid, we could have got something in Kenmare just as good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out to the sea.
1 Thank dollyw
Dear Dollyw,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay, in particular your experience in the spa. I wish that you would have made me aware of them during your stay so that I could have addressed them.

We have a set down area at the side entrance to the hotel where cars park temporarily while the luggage is unloaded and brought to reception by our porters and our main entrance is at the front of the hotel overlooking Kenmare Bay. We have two check in desks at reception and our Porters desk is located at the main entrance. While some of the public areas have been refurbished, we are continually trying to improve our product where possible. Due to the age and history of the building only some rooms are accessible by lift, regretfully during your stay out lift was out of order for 24 hours as we had to wait for an engineer to come and replace a part. Although Parknasilla is actually a four star hotel, it does not excuse poor service. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our fairy trail and the stunning views from our hot tubs.

If you would like to discuss your review further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillaresort.com.

Ruth O'Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,458 reviews

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!