“perfect family break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
drogheda
“perfect family break”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

stayed in the 3 bed villas called" Woodlands", very well finished although a little dark due to trees, very clean, good size, finished to a good standard ! great walks through the woods, tennis, archery, boating, fishing. views from hotel + outdoor hot tubs fantastic ! village of sneem close by with o,sheas pub great for food, hotel a little expensive for a family and portions a little small but tasty. will be back next year for sure , might try 2 bed lodges as they are a little nearer to hotel . don't miss the guided walk with lorna, most enjoyable !!!!!

Room Tip: if booking a villa, ask for one that does not back onto trees !!!!!!!!!!
1 Thank terry m
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear terry m,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and availed of the many hotel facilities. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team here especially Lorna who is a great asset to the team. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla in the very near future.

Ruth O'Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I brought my husband to parknasilla for our first wedding anniversary in July and it was an amazing stay. I booked penthouse suite, the views were just wonderful, great location, very good food in the restaurant, helpful staff! Everything was great. The only thing is that when we went to use the spa facilities jacuzzi and pool there were lot of kids in the pool that did not make the atmosphere as romantic as we hoped for. I dare to suggest to keep the pool open for kids and families until the afternoon and then keep it for young couples in the evening to make everyone happy. It feels like a great family place and we definitely felt in love with the place, highly recommend it!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank dashavi
Dear Dashavi,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you chose to celebrate your first wedding anniversary here at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay. The swimming pool has adult only time from 8am to 10am and 6pm to 8pm each day. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team here. I hope to welcome you back for your second anniversary.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have recently returned from a two night stay at The Parknasilla. There were 5 of us in our group.
My mother had an accident some weeks before & was on crutches. When we pulled up we were expecting a bigger entrance to the hotel, but we discovered the entrance was a small door leading into a long corridor, we had to unload the bags & quickly move the car as we were blocking an entrance to another car park, I think it may have been the staff car park. The check in is not great, if there are a few people checking in the reception area would get very crowded & tight for space. There is no concierge desk, a bit disappointing for a 5 star hotel! If reception staff are busy checking in guests, where can other guests get information from?
The whole common areas could really do with updating, maybe a fresh coat of paint & new carpets.
Our room was on the third floor & the other rooms were on the second floor. We all took the lift on the first day. Our room was OK, nothing to rave about. The bathroom was a bit of a death trap once you had a shower, there was no curtain or shower door on the shower, so the floor got extremely wet. There were no bath robes or slippers in our room, we were next to a store room & we just helped ourselves to two robes & slippers. Our room looked out onto the car park. There is no air conditioning in the rooms.
Our other family member’s room had a beautiful view onto the bay & had a lovely walk out balcony just above the conservatory.
My & myself booked into the Spa for a manicure & pedicure & for what we paid for it, we were again disappointed, my aunt got the hot stone massage & she was very happy with her treatment.
My aunt & myself than made use of the hot tub. This was amazing, the views were just stunning.
The pool area was quite busy with families.
We were booked into the restaurant that night & we had a beautiful dinner. The restaurant staff were very friendly. There were one guy in particular, I think his name was Paul or John, sorry I cannot remember, but he was a very jolly guy & very pleasant.
The next morning were down in the hot tube & pool area for 8am & this was lovely & quite & relaxing, we than had breakfast & was also very nice. That morning the lift was being repaired on the third floor, but there was no sign placed on the first or second floor making guests aware of this. When we returned that evening, they had placed signs on all floors. The lift was then out of action until we were checking out. Not ideal when someone is on crutches. This hotel is not wheelchair friendly or for anyone with walking difficulties. The lift is tiny!
Make sure to do the walk around the grounds, as this is a really nice walk. For the kids they have a Fairy trail, this is great. They provide maps at the reception area & you have to search the woods for the fairy’s houses.
The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from Sneem & it would be dangerous to walk this as the roads are very narrow. There is not much in Sneem, there is much more life in Kenmare. A taxi from the Hotel to Sneem is €8to €10 & to Kenmare is about €30 to €35.
Although we all really enjoyed our weekend, I would not stay here again. It was expensive & the Spa was expensive & I would not rate the hotel as a 5 star. I think for what we paid, we could have got something in Kenmare just as good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out to the sea.
1 Thank dollyw
Dear Dollyw,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay, in particular your experience in the spa. I wish that you would have made me aware of them during your stay so that I could have addressed them.

We have a set down area at the side entrance to the hotel where cars park temporarily while the luggage is unloaded and brought to reception by our porters and our main entrance is at the front of the hotel overlooking Kenmare Bay. We have two check in desks at reception and our Porters desk is located at the main entrance. While some of the public areas have been refurbished, we are continually trying to improve our product where possible. Due to the age and history of the building only some rooms are accessible by lift, regretfully during your stay out lift was out of order for 24 hours as we had to wait for an engineer to come and replace a part. Although Parknasilla is actually a four star hotel, it does not excuse poor service. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our fairy trail and the stunning views from our hot tubs.

If you would like to discuss your review further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillaresort.com.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I just came back from travelling the ring of Beara and the Ring of Kerry. We broke the journey at the Parknasilla hotel. It is a fantastic location on the water with a great spa and nice atmosphere. We ate at the bar and had a nice meal except for the fish chowder, which was very tasteless. I mentioned this to the staff and dropped the GM a quick note. On checking out, the item had been removed from the bill which was very good customer service in my view.
I'd definitely recommend the hotel and the grounds are stunning. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colombus72
Dear Colombus72,

Thank you for your review your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa.I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have mentioned your feedback regarding the chowder to the Executive Chef. I look forward to welcoming you both back to Parknasilla when you are next in the area.

Dublin
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed in a Woodlands villa. Very comfortable and well-specced, although not having a barbeque was a loss. Our villa was adjacent to car park which was a bit noisy in early mornings and there is a high pressure puump on the water system that gives a great shower vibrates the whole house when any tap is turned on, or the loo is flushed.

Hotel is very nice and in better condition than I had expected given other reviews. We only dined in the bar and this was OK but not great. Spa and pool are excellent. Childrens play room is a bit of a dump though and only Sky TV was in the upstairs Library adjacent to a large snooker table, making comfortable viewing difficult. Another issue was the lack of a sysyem to book a tennis court - its on a first come first served basis - and this is very annoying as it can get quite busy. Surely a 5 star hotel can organise a timesheet for 2 tennis courts??

Location outside Sneem is nice, but we were surprised to find Sneem to be very limited and a base closer to Kenmare/Killarney would have suited better.

Overall though Kerry is fantastic and Parknasilla is a very nice place and we would recommend it. for families.

Room Tip: If you're booking a Woodlands Villa, book one well set back from the main entrance/car park.
3 Thank Oneeyetwo
Dear Oneeyetwo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed to note your comments regarding our bar food as we have received many great compliments about it. Our children's games room includes table tennis and a pool table and we have also added a new playground to our children's facilities this year. Our two tennis courts are available to all guests and we find the first come first serve system works best on past experience. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the future.

Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband & I are just back after a night in Parknasilla. It was my 50th birthday. We had a really lovely night there and would certainly like to go back. On arrival, I was a little annoyed with the receptionist, as our room was not ready & she just said it will be 40 mins (no apology or anything) & then it turned out to be over an hour before it was ready, and that was all ok with us, but if the receptionist had just been a bit nicer about it! But anyway, everything else was 'top class'. Our room was overlooking the bay, It was georgeous. The manager had kindly left us a bottle of champagne (as it was my birthday). We really enjoyed that. The dinner was delicious and again, they had my dessert on a plate with happy birthday on it. This again, was a very nice gesture. All the staff were exceptionally nice. We did a lovely walk. There are loads of walks around the hotel. I had a spa treatment and that was just brilliant. I think the therapist name was Caoimhe. She was very good. We had a lovely stay in this hotel and would highly recomment it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarianGall
Dear MarianGall,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and enjoyed your stay. Our check in time is 3pm and we strive to ensure all rooms are ready for that time however if it is busy it can take a little longer. I apologise that you felt it was dealt with incorrectly and I have passed your feed back to our Front Office Manger to ensure it doesn't happen again. I look forward to sharing your comments with all the staff including Caoimhe who is a great asset to the team. I hope to welcome you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the future.

Kildare
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is not my first time in parknasilla , in fact I have stayed there on quite a number of occasions , however it was the first time we were there with our four boys including five month old twins and our stay was fabulous . The place itself is wonderful, and I have yet to encounter a more friendly helpful staff .. Anywhere! The babysitter we had was so kind and went the extra mile for our children .. thank you Rosie! This time around there was some new kids facilities playground etc which made our stay even more pleasant. We stayed in one of the lodges and as usual they were spotless and equipped with everything we needed. Parknasilla is such a relaxing place , it is a real gem. I cannot recommend it highly enough ...roll on next year !

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank BANKSIE35
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Banksie35,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am delighted that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us and availed of the many activities and facilities the resort have to offer. I will pass on your very kind comments to all the team especially Rosie. I look forward to welcoming you and the family back again in the very near future.

Ruth O'Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
The Europe Hotel & Resort
#12 of 38 in Killarney
Sheen Falls Lodge
Sheen Falls Lodge
#2 of 6 in Kenmare

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!