“Quite amazing short break”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Builth Wells, United Kingdom
“Quite amazing short break”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Arrived in snow flurries here after dirve down one of better parts of Ring of Kerry.

Snow in garden, setting right on the sea, snow on the mountains and palm trees, reflection of sun on water - just mindblowing.

Hotel nice mix of old world and new, very very friendly and efficient staff. Room had old windows overlooking sea, worried it would be cold - but wasn't! No bath in superior rooms :(

Food in both restaurant and bar was very good, wine selection a little pricey. Walks in their grounds - highlight of trip! They own small forest and lakes and several islands by coast with mapped walks, amazing views, widlife, everything. Like several grand masters rolled into one.

Spa was ok, outdoor hot tubs in the snow nice.

Room Tip: Superior rooms 300-320 in old building excellent size, location, views, but no baths! Only in standa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear AndewD,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa.I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and availed of all the hotel facilities. I will pass on all your comments to the team here. I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla in the near future.

Ruth O'Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
County Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having driven for a few hours we arrived in Parknasilla - a place of never-failing hospitality and joy for us. The commotion started before we set foot inside the front door as Denis O'Sullivan arrived with hand outstretched and broad welcoming smile. PJ followed with similar demeanor. Once inside the foyer there was a welcome from charming Ruth, the Resort Manager, and John appeared from the restaurant to say hello and welcome. After an introduction to the newly arrived managing director we were brought to a wonderful suite by Denis. There is a heaven on earth (whatever George Bernard Shaw might think!).

Soon afterwards my brother arrived for his annual stay and I am grateful to reservation staff for arranging for a room he likes over the front door. Thank you! As for the suite - what a view and what a room! Thank you!

On this visit we stayed from 27th to 31st December and as always in the past at this time of year we had a relaxing and refreshing time. The real asset of Parknasilla, besides the idyllic location (even in the soft Kerry rain!), is its human resource. The high degree of professionalism, genuine character, the wit and the humor are sadly missing from any other establishment in the country. Maurice, the bar manager, is excellent and other hotel managers should clone him. Padraig in the restaurant is professional to the tips of his fingers. And so we could go on - George, the two Georginas and so on.

The new chef did not disappoint and we wish him well in the future. The restaurant at Parknasilla is currently a relaxed environment and the fare is good. The sunroom daytime menu is good too and we probably indulged more than we should have. Best wishes to Kathleen on her retirement in the Spring. For many years we have enjoyed her company.

Yes, the golf course was closed due to water-logging and the Kerry Way walks were less enticing due to poor weather, but there is still lots to do in the resort. Kevin's clay shoot was missed but it was great to see him one morning near reception when he dropped by on other business.

We wish the new management and proprietor of Parknasilla all the best. They have taken charge of a very enchanting place and some very exceptional and committed staff. Thanks for helping us to enjoy yet another memorable stay away from the real world that we leave on the roadside somewhere between Tahilla and Blackwater Bridge. Good luck for the future! Hope we get to enjoy your hospitality again soon.

Room Tip: Ring reservations desk (rather than book online) and discuss your requirements. There are lots of ac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Coolnacarrick
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Coolnacarrick,

Thank you for your fabulous review of your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. It was great to read that once again you all had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our hospitality. I will pass on your compliments to all the staff. I am very proud of the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here in Sep 2012, my partner and I and his parents. We rented a 2 dbl bedroom lodge for 500e per week which was great value.

Accomodation: Fantastic in the lodges anyway (can't speak for hotel rooms). Loads of room and very comfortable. The first night we were there the toilet was broken and spent the whole night filling up - we let the staff know and they changed us straight away to another lodge. The bathrooms (in general) could do with better maintenance though, a bit shabby for 4*.

Food/Service: Well, I'm pulling food & service together because this was the big let down for us. One of our party was coeliac and they weren't the most accommodating. We ate in teh bar and there was no coeliac friendly food but there was on the restaurant menu - so we asked for a dis there and they were really a bit silly about serving restaurant food in the bar. I mean it' s a 5* hotel so I couldn't believe it. They eventually did but made such a scene of it we really avoided eating in teh hotel again and self catered for the rest of the week.
The bar staff weren't great - there's being professional in a 5* hotel and there's being arrogant and I found the staff a bit cold, not very friendly or chatty.

Location: Location is fab, the grounds are great and loads to do. But just know it's about 20 mins from Kenmare so factor that into any plans!

Room Tip: Remember it's 20 mins drive from Kenmare. Lodges seem like much better value for money rather t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravellingNoirin
Dear TravelingNoirin,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your accommodation in our two bed self catering lodges. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience in our bar. We pride ourselves on catering for all dietary requirements and will have a number of coeliac options on all our menus for the future. I do apologise that we did not cater for your needs. I was surprised to note your comments about our staff as we always receive great compliments about the team, although Parknasilla Resort & Spa is a four star hotel, this does not excuse poor service. If you wish to discuss this further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie.

West Limerick
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We wanted to get away after Christmas 2012 with just the kids and booked a house on the resort - 3 bed forest lodge for 4 nights. The house itself is well presented and located, quiet and well appointed. Compares well with Castlemartyr Hotel (rented here once and slightly better at Parknasilla), and Fota House Golf Side lodges (rented here twice and they are a little more luxurious than Parknasilla). Good facilities in the house and everything you need, very comfortable. Excellent washer dryer (it was winter). Houses 5-10 mins walk to hotel but through stunning coastal walks ( we live looking out over the ocean but this truly is beautiful). Hotel is in such a stunning setting winter or summer that you can really enjoy the walks with the kids - all marked and interesting. Pool is good and depth right for the children (7&8) - not crowded - Outdoor hot tubs are fab. Gym not up to much. Tennis courts are reasonable standard. Bar in hotel is lovely and relaxed with open fire and good service. Stock up with goodies in M&S in Killarney if you are coming that way. One gripe and it is starting to annoy me with places in general - no WiFi in the house (had same prob at Fota) - please guys - get with the times and sort it. I unplugged the phone cable and plugged into the data port and got reasonable speed. Overall we had a really positive experience and would highly recommend if you want a relaxing break with some luxury and top location. Would return here now before Fota or Castlemartyr.

Room Tip: Forest lodges for full houses but other lodges are same level of decor and equipment in courtyard se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GlinFoodie
Dear GlinFoodie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your break away with us and availed of all the hotel has to offer. We have WiFi available in the lounge beside reception and this is free to all guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the near future.

Cork
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I spent a night in Parknasilla recently, my first visit and wanted to try as I got positive reviews from others that stayed there. There is no doubting that the Hotels location is spectacular and is a haven for walkers of all ability. The staff too let me add are efficient and friendly. What was disappointing for me was the quality of the bedroom we stayed in, which looked out at a roadway and the forest. 20 minutes after checking in the flogas lorry rumbled by our window with a delivery. The room was in serious need of a makeover. The room was so hot and impossible to regulate, so much so it was very diffiult to sleep. The thread worn carpet on the stairs was also very noticable. The Spa however is very good but the outdoor hot tubs were unable to keep the water at a temperature hot enough to enjoy the experience. The most disappointing part of the visit for me was dinner. Limited choice and poor value. The Vegetable samosa for starter was served on a bed of yogurt & cucumber was awful, soggy and badly presented. I would get better down my local Indian takeaway. The chicken strips were overcooked and dried out and lacked imagination. The Pork Medallions for main course turned out to be tiny pork chop coated in breadcrumbs and would cost €1.50 down at the local butcher. The dessert was a banana creme brulee which had a strange texture served with ice cream that was so sweet it was inedible. The other choices for main courses were a breast of chicken, Duck, Monkfish and John Dory which looked miniscule and a vegeterian dish. The side dish of potatoes they served were badly prepped. This hotel is supposedly 4 star, this meal was 2 star quality in my opinion. The hotel was shutting down for 7 weeks just 2 days after we left, hopefully for refurbishment. Hopefully the new overseas owners of this fine establishment will return the place to its former glory soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Hilltop1,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel surroundings, the spa and our wonderful staff. However, I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. While some of our bedrooms have been refurbished we are continually trying to improve our product where possible. I was concerned reading your comments about your dinner as we always receive great reviews and compliments from guests about their dining experiences. If you wish to discuss this further please contact me directly at rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a relaxing way to start 2013. I'm not a Christmas fan ever but after a very tough year my family booked me into Parknasilla resort in Sneem for 4 days. On my arrival I was greeted with such friendliness and warmth at reception. I was given a fantastic room overlooked the sea with panoramic views. There was plenty to do in Parknasilla with lovely walks to explore (even in the rain). The spa was superb with plenty of variety and the Elemis facial I booked with Elaine was one of the best I've ever had. The food in the bar and restaurant was delicious and well presented. All staff were so helpful and friendly at all time. You could always find a quiet corner to read or just sit and relax and admire the views. It was a very safe comfortable place to stay on your own. While looking out at the sea its easy to see why water is "God's Tranquilizer". Do go there to rest, relax and recharge the batteries. Well done all at Parknasilla I do hope I get back there again. Trish

Room Tip: Just ask for what you require they will be glad to help you
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Sad29
Dear Trish,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that your family chose Parknasilla for your breakaway and how much you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your lovely comments to all the team here especially to Elaine. I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa in the near future.

Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in December and it was glorious. A relaxing break with country walks, good food and elegant surroundings. The outdoor whirlpool looking out on swimming seals is another bonus! Would highly recommend

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Lisapop
Dear Lisapop,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent visit to Parknasilla Resort and Spa. It was a pleasure to read that both you and your husband had a wonderful stay. I will pass on all your comments to team here. I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla Resort and Spa in the near future.

Ruth O’Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,480 reviews

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!