“Friendly and charming”
Review of Kerry Ocean Lodge

Kerry Ocean Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Glenbeigh
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here with my (elderly) mum and teenage niece and nephew in August 2012. Like many others, Eurene greeted us by name as we arrived mid-afternoon. We had three rooms on the ground floor. Only small gripe was that two out of the three TVs were out of action (not that we had much time to watch TV I suppose).
Rooms modestly-furnished and spotlessly clean, with modern bathrooms and plenty of natural light. Free wifi is available.
Staff were happy to help with restaurant recommendations, phone numbers and reservations.
Breakfast was enormous, with the very best of local produce and a huge cold buffet table, all served with a smile by Eugene himself with his wonderful Kerry wit.
The guest house is about a five minute walk from the centre of the village, an easy stroll to a handful of decent pubs, restaurants and cafes. It is not exactly at the water's edge by any means, but the lovely beach of Rossbeigh is only a five minute drive away.
Good value for money, friendly and clean. What's not to like?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 26, 2012

After a long day of traveling, we weren't sure if we were going to make it to the hotel in time to check in. Called to see about canceling the room and were told it wasn't an option. Did everything we could to rush to the hotel and called 45 minutes out to make sure everything was ok only to be told rooms (2rooms) were cancelled... After going back and forth for a few moments we were told we still had the 2 rooms at the original price ... (seriously??) ok... Thinking everything was ok, showed up at hotel ready to sleep, only to be greeted by an angry little man with a huge attitude!! Upon telling him my name he slammed down a piece of paper on the desk in front of me telling me rooms were cancelled. He yelled at me and told me I was rude while I was dumbfounded!! Told me to lower my voice(I am In a strange country and honestly was kinda freaking out here)... I made sure to be as agreeable as possible while this man chewed me down to size!! I was so upset I ran out of the hotel in tears and opted to PAY for another hotel completely! My husband and I stayed at the oak tree lodge closer to town for the same rate(still payed for the other room)...oak tree was incredibly friendly and like a breath of fresh air after the horrible experience of Kerry ocean. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there!!! Please don't waste your time. You don't treat people that way!! I don't believe in confrontation at all... And promised myself I would write this review... Please ... Call John at the oak tree lodge... He will treat you right and serve you an amazing Irish breakfast with a smile!! It's even with in walking distance of pubs and restaurants:)

Room Tip: Call John at the oak tree lodge... Save yourself a major headache and possibly a few tears!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ashley C
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It was exactly as advertised. They helped us with free laundry on the grounds. Easy walk into town for food, pubs, church, etc. Friendly staff and good food. Beaches an easy drive. Found a nearby golf course and a great dinner restaurant an easy drive featuring an ocean setting (Jack's).

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at the Kerry Ocean lodge as part of a hiking tour in July of 2012. The room I had was simple, but clean and comfortable, with a nice sized bathroom. I was in room 29 and the twin beds were a little lumpy, but that is my only complaint. There was a computer and phone available for guests to use on the top floor. Eugene, the host was very friendly and hospitable and served a lovely breakfast each morning. The hotel is a short walk to "downtown" Glenbeigh.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We arrived at the Kerry Ocean Lodge in the lovely village of Glenbeigh about 9 pm after a long drive from Limerick via Killarney and were greeted by name as we stepped through the front door. The concierge was the most charming man with a quick wit and wonderful Irish humour. We stayed in the biggest room we have experienced in Ireland and we had a wonderful view of the bay from our first floor room. The bed was really comfortable and had extra blankets on it to keep us cosy. The bathroom was quite sizeable and very clean.
There is a reading room with a television in it (even though there is a tv in each bedroom) and a charming dining room.
It was a great setting off point for a drive around the 'Ring of Kerry' which is something every visitor to Ireland should do. The views are magnificent. Kerry Ocean Londge has lots of information about what to do in the area and scheduled, guided walks (booked with another company) can be taken from the Lodge.
We enjoyed walks into the town of Glenbeigh which is only a few minutes from Kerry Lodge. One must sample the Guiness, Irish cider and Irish food on such a visit!
The concierge is a wealth of knowledge about the area.
We thoroughly recommend a visit to this wonderfully run establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a view of the bay. If one isn't available, not to worry, the view...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathylamb52
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This property is just so nice. The rooms are spotlessly clean as is the rest of the place. Staff very friendly and are so helpful. Breakfast was really nice. I had the full Irish breakfast which was very nice. A great selection of food including meats and cheeses, cereals, fruit, yoghurt etc. The location is great- right beside the village of Glenbeigh. The only downside was having to leave.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PatrickO2020
Reviewed April 9, 2012

just spent two nights in this B and B in glenbeigh co kerry. rooms are spacious and very clean and fresh towels each day.and beds are made on a daily basis.the best offer for breakfast the ive seen in a B&B at home or abroad. a great variety of cerals cold sliced meets fresh slice fruits all the fres juices and of course a full irish breakfast menu? and nothing is to complicated for the chef, i had fried eggs on oven baked waffles. lovely. well done to all concerned

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tommy J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenbeigh
Towers Hotel
#2 of 9 in Glenbeigh
Liosderrig House
Liosderrig House
#3 of 9 in Glenbeigh

Been to Kerry Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!