“Old world charm!”

Pub at The Olde Glenbeigh Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Glenbeigh
Reviewed April 15, 2014

A old pub full of charm. only had drinks but a nice plaice to stop off.
On our way around ring of Kerry so after a half of Guinness had to have tea!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

An old pub. Not fancy and plastic like some reviewers here seem to be looking for!

It's wood. It's old. It's got old faded pub-style art. It's quaint. The people who eat and work here are nice. The food is quite good. I had salmon with veg and potatoes. Nice size portions and the skin of the fish was crispy fried and placed back on top - a nice touch! My friend got the seafood pasta special. The pasta was thin spaghetti cooked well. The seafood was plentiful and the cream sauce wasn't one that made you say "I'm never eating again" when you got up from the table! Quite good. I would order either again.

They pour a good Guinness with a smile. And they have tatos, always welcome.

We eat here a lot (we have a place nearby). We've had veggie stir fry, shepherds pie, fish & chips, and more. It's a good spot I highly recommend.

Sue, Today in Ireland.

1  Thank Vagabond-Sue
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had a lovely romantic dinner here on Valentine's Day! The atmosphere was great with a blazing fire and quiet room. Our starters were so good, mussels were in a light garlic sauce and out if the shell so there was not much work to eat every mussel, yum yum! My husband had a great steak, cooked to perfection while I had a delicious stir fry. We were not rushed out so the entire experience was delightful! Will definitely return!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Dining options on the edges of the Iveragh Peninsula/Ring of Kerry), especially in the shoulder season, are not multiple. Staying in the delightful and life memory Taobh Coille B&B (see reviews) in November, we chose two Glenbeigh dining options over two of our nights in the area. One was decidedly less than desirable, the other a classic of type: that being the Pub dining room at the Olde Glenbeigh Hotel.

It's in the name, folks. Nobody's trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. It's old and it's a classic. Its " savory bouquet" hints of a bit of mood setting musty antiquity. To myself there' an inspiring muskiness just perfect given the overall appointments and atmosphere, and peeking around the whole first floor, it feels like classically snooping, not into another's bathroom medicine cabinet, but a beyond two centuries and a score thriving countryside apothecary.

We were too early for any musical entertainment, which I am told is of excellent quality. The bartender/host/waiter of the early quieter night proved a most charming fellow, echoing the distinctively historic former elegance of the place. A few colorful locals were peppered about at the bar as we settled in for a whatever quality meal of "what have you" out of season limited possibilities.

The dinner experience proved to be quite positive and very reasonable (as in borderline inexpensive for Ireland). For starters, I ordered the classic root soup as I call it (creamy mashed root veggies nicely seasoned in a larger bowl with solid brown bread. My wife had an open lightly toasted generous slice of (faux or quasi: take your pick? but decent nonetheless) ciabatta with nicely roasted veggies and melted good quality Irish chedder.

Herself's main was a (conservative as is her culinary wont) chicken goutons, with tasty crisp, light and fresh batter and similar quality chips. For myself I had a surprisingly fresh and more than ample portion of three hearty slices of sea bass filet in a perfect light lemon butter sauce. Both our mains were supplemented with bowls of fresh peas, broccoli and carrots, none waterlogged or whimpy limp. A tasty pint of Murphy's stout , a half of Heinekin and pitcher of ice water filled our table as we enjoyed the fireside dining room table. y wife finisher her dinner with a dessert of again suprisingly good cheesecake with rasberry sauce, fresh cream and a "cuppatay".

All in all, a very fine meal in a modestly tarnished grande dame historic setting for, in dollars American a measely $53 makes it a bullseye, and get this. The gracious gent absolutely refused a tip, saying he was a bartender sitting in for the late arriving wait staff.

There are off course always those who will knee jerkedly determine the place in need a strong dose of sprucing up, of revitalization, even modernizing. I say, "poppycock. balderdash and away with ye. Don't mess with my glorious west coast gems oozing with character, just as they are. even if you could somehow afford to gild the lily here and there. Leave such thinking to a more industrious minded elsewhere perspective. This said by a lifetime Sicilian New Yorker who can't get enough of Ireland's (especially Altantic side) wonders in five generally long stays thus far over a lifetime.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The drink is good, the food is good,the locals are friendly,the crack is 90, but the piano playing has to be heard to be believed you make book in because when he starts you wont want to leave

1  Thank Jonboyat33