River Island Hotel
Glenbrook House(Castleisland)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely hotelring of kerrywonderful staffcentral locationbuffet stylewarm welcomedining rooma family run hoteldinner menucountry towncouldn't do enoughrooms are basicbite to eatwell worth a visitcannot faultgreat foodthe main street
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Had breakfast this morning Sunday good breakfast. Unfortunately my dread the microwave. Can't be helped. This is the age we live in. Very good plenty of everything well cooked. Bantam eggs rare. Lots of tea! Had a visit from a few bluebottles. I eat faster than them. (Believe they are in season.). Staff good. Wondered if the wan from Scart was forewoman. The only critical. Bit the Blasted TV Blasting football on a Sunday morning. Some great stuff on Kerry radio. Wi go there again. Great place to grub up before hitting the Tourist traps. Free parking all over town. Town traditional not Trap

Room Tip: Did not stay there. Looked up room rates not bad.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for four nights two weeks ago at this hotel. Was on a coach party, food was lovely and Tom the manager couldn't do enough for us. His Irish dancing was brilliant and he was good at getting people on the dance floor. The room was overlooking the back and heard some dogs barking but didn't keep us awake.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Tom the manager could not have made us more welcome, being one of a party of 43 we created quite an influx of work all at the same time but we were made to feel very welcome. Our room was spacious and clean and the food was excellent. The staff worked really hard and were always on the run, but with smiles on their faces. Would be happy to recommend this hotel to any one who is exploring the Dingle or the Ring of Kerry

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in this hotel with a coach party. From outside the hotel does not look impressive, but once you enter everything changes with plush carpets and polished woodwork. I had a large bedroom at the front, which was well appointed and very clean. We had evening meals and breakfast and could not fault the food, in fact there was often too much for me. The staff were very pleasant and extremely efficient. On the nights I visited the bar there was good entertainment. I would certainly use this hotel again. As I never give 5 stars this hotel gets my top rating.

Room Tip: Although my room was at the front and overlooked the main street. I heard very little noise except on the night I accidentally left the window open.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank oapcameraman
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were on a tour of Ireland with a group (42 people). We spent 2 nights in this hotel. At first we were disappointed, because we had large and spacious 4* hotels before this one, and this one looked small and old, in a small old town (village ?). A few stairs to climb with your heavy luggage before finding a single lift (not very handy when several groups arrive at the same time). Our room was not extremely spacious, but let's stay the size was OK. The room was clean, comfortable, bright, bathroom OK. The view was poor : the back of some pubs, with people smoking all night - but we didn't hear any noise thanks to the windows (dubbel glazing). Other members of the group had a room on the front side, it was worse (traffic). A lot of pubs in the surroundings, music here and there.
The food was fine, the service was too slow though : the "usual customers" complained because the groups were requiring too much time and attention from the staff. They could have done with extra staff, especially on a week-end.
So, if you want to enjoy this place, try to avoid groups. All in all it's a rather charming old-fashioned place downstairs, and quite modern upstairs in the rooms. Food is fine!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back get the sun and are rather quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family