“Good choice - Pak Wood Arms Hotel”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Tucson
“Good choice - Pak Wood Arms Hotel”
Reviewed October 4, 2006

I chose this hotel because it was close to the airport. The property is clean, safe and well maintained. This is not your typical Irish tourist hotel, it mostly caters to business travelers. The room and bathroom was large and clean. The beds where comfortable. The TV was very small. Breakfast was very good and had a good variety to choose from, it was also free.

• Liked — Clean rooms, closeness to Shannon airport
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank tuslac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Kinsale
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Recently I stay at this hotel and they broke my credit card on departure, and failed to book a taxi, please give it a miss.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — breaking my credit card
  • Tips/Secrets — give it a miss
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank kinsaleman
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I was only scheduled to stay here one night, on my way into Ireland. The desk staff was pleasant and helpful, athough she seemed to be from a slavic country so I had to strain to understand her. Although, I had a fair amount of bags and was traveling by myself, she offered no help and did not even tell me where I could find an elevator, so I had to drag all of my bags up the stairs. I requested a nonsmoking room. The one I got had an obvious stench of smoke, especially after my shower the next morning. The furniture and the hallways of the hotel were impressive. Large and oak. The room was large enough, and the bathroom seemed clean. However, the wallpaper was coming off in places and there were tears in the bedsheets. I could only hope it was from getting caught in the dryer or something. The linens themselves were not at all impressive. They were exactly the same as hospital bedsheets. Unfortunately, the hotel where I had booked for my the night before my return flight had overbooked, so they put me back in the Oakwood Arms. Again smelling of smoke (this time a full blown smoking room). Looking out the window was the back lot where the boys were loading and unloading things for the bar. More torn wallpaper and bedsheets. The breakfast was ok, but rushed by the somewhat friendly staff. They didn't seem to have the ok to change table linen between guests. The table where I sat had fresh jelly stains and random crumbs, not my idea of a relaxing breakfast.

• Liked — The ambiance and the furniture. Close to a shopping mall and restuarants and the airport.
  • Disliked — Unkept sheets, smoking, walpaper and unclean breakfast tables.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try somewhere else in town first and book early.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
6 Thank PixieJosie
Odessa, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I have to say this property was a very nice surprise. A little off the beaten track , but worth the effort to find. The rooms are very nice and clean. The beds and linens are soft and cleans as well. The staff are helpful and friendly. The food in the pub was fantastic. The whole atmosphere is wonderful. It was a wonderful way to start and end our trip to Ireland. The hotel was nice and close to airport so had no problem making our very early morning flight. Our arriving flight arrived before check in time, but they made room for us and let us have a room so we could rest. I can not recommend this place enough. With a huge plus of high speed internet, wireless to boot, and anyone who has been there knows how hard that is to find. The only down side was that it is an old hotel and the walls are thin and noise does carry, but people do seem to be polite and try to be quiet.

2 Thank KPTX33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,147 reviews

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!