WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Cork
“Lovely Food, Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in March, can't praise the staff enough so warm and friendly couldn't do enough for us. Food in the restaurant was absolutely amazing, rooms were lovely and the hotel was in a nice central location. Will definitely be returning. Very impressed overall

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank CloCork
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear CloCork,

Thank you for kindly for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Trip advisor.
Our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest take time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.
We very much appreciate the recommendation and hope to see you in the Oakwood Arms Hotel in the near future.

We would be delighted to welcome you back on your next trip.

Tel. 061 719 236

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I had my wedding at the Oakwood Arms Hotel Shannon on 14th Feb Valentines Day this year. My Husband and I had a Civil Ceremony performed at the Hotel and the wedding reception afterwards. I would highly recommend this hotel as a perfect wedding venue. From start to finish they were amazing and we could not have asked for a better day. This hotel does a wedding fair every Sun at the end of each month for a certain period of time where you can see the room as it will be on the day taste the food and offer refreshments, from the moment we booked until we checked out of the Hotel two days after the wedding we were given the royal treatment. The Wedding Co-Ordinators Frances and Rita were excellent they looked after everything and made sure that the room was decorated exactly the way we wanted it nothing was a problem and I could contact them anytime I needed to. The Managers Amit Chopra & Ted Germaine could not have done enough for us, they really took into consideration the importance of this day is to a Bride and Groom, we could not fault any part of this day, the service the food and the overall running of the day was superb. They looked after everything and my husband and I were able to relax and enjoy the run up and the day itself. The civil ceremony room is beautifully decorated with a white light tree and a big window which lets the light flow in no matter what the weather is like it was the nicest room by far that we viewed for a civil ceremony. We got married right in the middle of the storms this year, I was worried that my dress might have been ruined making the travel over. They contacted me to say that if I wanted to get dressed in the Hotel they had my room ready for me and would make sure I could come in the back entrance so none of my guest could see me arriving until I was ready. Everything Ran on schedule, Rita our wedding co-ordinator on the day was on the ball checking with us and our family that we were happy with what was going on and there was no stress or delays at all on the day. All my guest commented on it being one of the best meals they have had at a wedding and really enjoyed the cocktail reception we had they said from checking into checking out anyone who said had only good comments. The honeymoon suite is lovely and we loved the vintage style room we also could not have any photographs taken outside due to the bad storms but were amazed at how many nice spots there are around the hotel for inside photographs. Oakwood Arms is definitely a hotel to consider when booking your wedding in the Clare area especially if you are having a civil ceremony. The Registrar herself who dealt with our wedding even said to her that she loves doing weddings in the Oakwood as they are always so organised and professional.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SandyHarm,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely personal review on your recent wedding. Our wedding planners at the hotel strive to ensure that each couple experience their dream day right from the beginning. It is a great pleasure to read such kind words about the hotel and the various departments and the staff you encountered.
The Oakwood Arms Hotel had its origins as a family owned run business and we enjoy creating that special bond with each couple. You are now part of our extended family and look forward to welcoming you back on any occasion that you are in the area.

Tel. 061 719 236
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

This place screams "understaffed" and "captive audience, we know, so we don't have to try very hard". There are only, from what I could find, 3 hotels close to the airport. We chose this one b/c it had the least terrible reviews on tripadvisor. The decor as others have mentioned is old and so very tired. Cigarette butts wedged into outside cracks of sidewalks, the paint was peeling a bit around our bathroom mirror, and my gosh the entire hotel is so dark it felt like a Las Vegas casino. Every time someone flushed the toilet on our hall our shower temp dropped by 10 degrees (grrrr). We ate in the hotel bar--also very dark and dim--and the poor wait staff looked overworked: two waitresses for the bar, which was 3/4 full, and only one bartender. The food was adequate although I chuckled inwardly at my server's complete confusion that I wanted chicken left off my Caesar salad (I'm vegetarian). She seemed to have never encountered that before, although that could simply be cultural. Food was average. Staff okay. The dining room looked nice (and better lit) but they had some weird all inclusive dinner and no way to order single items off the menu (according to the host) so we declined. We didn't have time to sample breakfast the morning we left. Yes, the carpet was stained in a few places. The bathroom toiletries consist of liquid soap in dispensers that smell like dishwashing liquid. The towels were clean but extremely old, scratchy and gray from overuse. But the TV worked, the king size bed was comfy, and we got a good night's sleep for our extremely long travel day back to Arizona. Easy to find the airport from here and the car rental return. If I were staying here for more than one night, I'd be rating this hotel lower, because I'd expect better, but it was okay for 16 hours or so.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was surprisingly excellent! I had lamp cutlets (chops) in a red wine sauce with fennel and other spices that was wonderful.

As for the hotel...our room clearly needs refurbishing. The bathroom was old and frankly a little dirty (see shower photos). The walls were paper thin, and whenever the room next to us ran the water or flushed the toilet the water running was so loud it actually woke me up!

The sink has 2 separate taps which makes washing your face difficult as you basically have to go back and forth between cold and hot.

There is no thermostat so no way to control the temperature other than opening the window which I wasn't going to do as we were on the first floor.

The toilet had a funny smell. It had been cleaned but maybe years of use had embedded a urine smell. We had to keep the lid closed to contain the smell.

And finally, the tub didn't drain well so both of us ended up ankle deep in water when showering.

Overall I'd say don't stay here, but have dinner here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have just spent the last two nights in this lovely hotel.From the time we arrived until we left we were treated so well by all the staff and management.It was great value.The room was huge.We had a kettle and plenty of tea and coffee supplied. Loads of hot water.There was a bath with a shower over it.It was so quite an peaceful.The dinner and breakfast were perfect.There was a girl Debbie in the bar who was so kind and helpful.Well done Debbie you made our stay very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to others.Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful break.Linda and Joanne Dublin

Room Tip: Had a look at a lot of rooms and they all looked good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Linda N
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Linda N,

I'm delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you took time out to share your feedback with us. We are very fortunate in having a great team of staff here at The Oakwood Arms Hotel and believe that this enhances guest’s experiences during their stay. I will be sure to share your feedback Debbie, who as you note is a excellent member of the team. Thank you once again for reviewing your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again

My Kindest Regards

Co.Clare
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed at the Oak Wood Arms Hotel for 2 nights in June with my mom and a friend. We each booked separate rooms, but each had the same type of room.

My mom's smelled like cigarette smoke even though the door had a "No Smoking" sign on it. The staff quickly changed her room.

Both mine and my mom's rooms had lovely technology and a welcome screen with our name on it. My friend, who paid more for the same type of room, had an old tube TV that only worked on 3 channels.

My room was clean and HUGE. I was on the first floor, and noise is an issue as I could here stomping and pounding from the room above most of the first night. My friend said that her shower was disgusting, but I didn't see it myself. Breakfast is plentiful, but not delicious. Restaurant staff was friendly; hotel staff helpful, but not warm and fuzzy. Beds were better than the hotel we had in Dublin, but it's still Europe, so they were thin, hard mattresses - all springs.

Overall, I felt like we got a good value for our money (a good deal with an online travel site), but there was nothing particularly impressive about the place (other than the size!). Easy access to the airport and reasonably comfortable on a budget. If I wanted to spend more, I would stay elsewhere, but on the same budget I would stay here again. I would request a room on the top floor, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to prevent issues with noise from rooms above.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Erin H,

I would like to thank you for writing a review on the hotel, our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest take time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

We really hope to welcome you back again soon

Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

stayed quite a few times ,,hotel is beautiful...it has become a second home
love the buffet idea at breakfast its great with the kids
love the suites for family,, and the beds are huge and very comfortable

Room Tip: its great to be able enjoy a drink,,, and kids are allowed around
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FrancesClare_Ireland, Guest Relations Manager at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear marymgallagher,

Thank you for the lovely review you posted following your recent weekend stay with us at the Oakwood Arms Hotel. I’m delighted you enjoyed the hotel and found all of the staff excellent and helpful and that you thought that your two night stay was great value. We are a family owned and family managed hotel and at all time we aspire to ensure that all guests experience a warm, friendly and professional atmosphere throughout. I’m glad to hear that this was the case for you.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

My Kindest Regards

Co.Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,812 reviews
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!