“Okay for a one night sleep before leaving Ireland” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
“Okay for a one night sleep before leaving Ireland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This place screams "understaffed" and "captive audience, we know, so we don't have to try very hard". There are only, from what I could find, 3 hotels close to the airport. We chose this one b/c it had the least terrible reviews on tripadvisor. The decor as others have mentioned is old and so very tired. Cigarette butts wedged into outside cracks of sidewalks, the paint was peeling a bit around our bathroom mirror, and my gosh the entire hotel is so dark it felt like a Las Vegas casino. Every time someone flushed the toilet on our hall our shower temp dropped by 10 degrees (grrrr). We ate in the hotel bar--also very dark and dim--and the poor wait staff looked overworked: two waitresses for the bar, which was 3/4 full, and only one bartender. The food was adequate although I chuckled inwardly at my server's complete confusion that I wanted chicken left off my Caesar salad (I'm vegetarian). She seemed to have never encountered that before, although that could simply be cultural. Food was average. Staff okay. The dining room looked nice (and better lit) but they had some weird all inclusive dinner and no way to order single items off the menu (according to the host) so we declined. We didn't have time to sample breakfast the morning we left. Yes, the carpet was stained in a few places. The bathroom toiletries consist of liquid soap in dispensers that smell like dishwashing liquid. The towels were clean but extremely old, scratchy and gray from overuse. But the TV worked, the king size bed was comfy, and we got a good night's sleep for our extremely long travel day back to Arizona. Easy to find the airport from here and the car rental return. If I were staying here for more than one night, I'd be rating this hotel lower, because I'd expect better, but it was okay for 16 hours or so.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was surprisingly excellent! I had lamp cutlets (chops) in a red wine sauce with fennel and other spices that was wonderful.

As for the hotel...our room clearly needs refurbishing. The bathroom was old and frankly a little dirty (see shower photos). The walls were paper thin, and whenever the room next to us ran the water or flushed the toilet the water running was so loud it actually woke me up!

The sink has 2 separate taps which makes washing your face difficult as you basically have to go back and forth between cold and hot.

There is no thermostat so no way to control the temperature other than opening the window which I wasn't going to do as we were on the first floor.

The toilet had a funny smell. It had been cleaned but maybe years of use had embedded a urine smell. We had to keep the lid closed to contain the smell.

And finally, the tub didn't drain well so both of us ended up ankle deep in water when showering.

Overall I'd say don't stay here, but have dinner here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have just spent the last two nights in this lovely hotel.From the time we arrived until we left we were treated so well by all the staff and management.It was great value.The room was huge.We had a kettle and plenty of tea and coffee supplied. Loads of hot water.There was a bath with a shower over it.It was so quite an peaceful.The dinner and breakfast were perfect.There was a girl Debbie in the bar who was so kind and helpful.Well done Debbie you made our stay very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to others.Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful break.Linda and Joanne Dublin

Room Tip: Had a look at a lot of rooms and they all looked good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Linda N
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Linda N,

I'm delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you took time out to share your feedback with us. We are very fortunate in having a great team of staff here at The Oakwood Arms Hotel and believe that this enhances guest’s experiences during their stay. I will be sure to share your feedback Debbie, who as you note is a excellent member of the team. Thank you once again for reviewing your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again

Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed at the Oak Wood Arms Hotel for 2 nights in June with my mom and a friend. We each booked separate rooms, but each had the same type of room.

My mom's smelled like cigarette smoke even though the door had a "No Smoking" sign on it. The staff quickly changed her room.

Both mine and my mom's rooms had lovely technology and a welcome screen with our name on it. My friend, who paid more for the same type of room, had an old tube TV that only worked on 3 channels.

My room was clean and HUGE. I was on the first floor, and noise is an issue as I could here stomping and pounding from the room above most of the first night. My friend said that her shower was disgusting, but I didn't see it myself. Breakfast is plentiful, but not delicious. Restaurant staff was friendly; hotel staff helpful, but not warm and fuzzy. Beds were better than the hotel we had in Dublin, but it's still Europe, so they were thin, hard mattresses - all springs.

Overall, I felt like we got a good value for our money (a good deal with an online travel site), but there was nothing particularly impressive about the place (other than the size!). Easy access to the airport and reasonably comfortable on a budget. If I wanted to spend more, I would stay elsewhere, but on the same budget I would stay here again. I would request a room on the top floor, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to prevent issues with noise from rooms above.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Erin H,

I would like to thank you for writing a review on the hotel, our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest take time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

We really hope to welcome you back again soon

Kind Regards
Co. Clare
Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

stayed quite a few times ,,hotel is beautiful...it has become a second home
love the buffet idea at breakfast its great with the kids
love the suites for family,, and the beds are huge and very comfortable

Room Tip: its great to be able enjoy a drink,,, and kids are allowed around
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
FrancesClare_Ireland, Guest Relations Manager at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear marymgallagher,

Thank you for the lovely review you posted following your recent weekend stay with us at the Oakwood Arms Hotel. I’m delighted you enjoyed the hotel and found all of the staff excellent and helpful and that you thought that your two night stay was great value. We are a family owned and family managed hotel and at all time we aspire to ensure that all guests experience a warm, friendly and professional atmosphere throughout. I’m glad to hear that this was the case for you.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Enniscorthy, Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here over the weekend after getting a deal on Biteabargain. The hotel itself is lovely. We stayed in the Amelia suite and it was amazing. The buffet breakfast was lovely and dinner was nice too.
Would defo stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences following your recent stay with us here at The Oakwood Arms Hotel. It’s part of the hotels policy to read our reviews closely and use them for both employee recognition and to ensure that you our clients are receiving the highest level of service. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team, so they can see how their attention to detail and great customer service pays off.

Glasgow UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed here a few times on business due to it's convenient location. It's location, and the relative lack of competition are its saviour. I can imagine it's retro chic wood panelling interior was the last word in classiness in the 70s/80s but it seems a little tired and faded now. Can't fault room cleanliness, facilities are adequate ( although the needless interactive TV menu is infuriating after a while), everything is just a little ....tired. Breakfast is adequate if unimaginative, but better dining options are available nearby. Business centre is handy for printing emails, boarding passes etc ( and free!) Overall value for money is nothing special.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, ask for one not adjacent to a smoking one, The smell of smoke can so...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 stars 853 reviews

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!