“Medieval character, in need of little updating!”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Dublin, Ireland
“Medieval character, in need of little updating!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just back from weekend break in oak wood arms, shannon. Lovely hotel, but a little dated! When we checked in we were offered "smoking" or non smoking! I thought this was done away with, but my hubby being a smoker opted for the smoking, and boy would you know it!! It reeked of smoke. The room itself was very small but comfortable. However, the decor is very 70's! and the sink in the bathroom was cracked all the way across. Not a good look! The tv was advertised as having free movies whenever you wanted, but this didnt work! Despite many calls to reception, and they did deal with it promptly, it still didnt work! Pity there is no pool either, as having a steam and sauna seems crazy without a pool?? The service was excellent, friendly staff, always happy to help. The food was also excellent, and very reasonable. We ate in the bar on saturday afternoon, and the menu was lovely. When the meal arrived it also was gorgeous. There was music in the bar saturday night, a traditional band with harp and violins and accordions, but no mike! Hard to hear the guy singing.Very near to shannon airport, but otherwise no town as such to shop! Enjoyed out stay, but as it was lashing we were a little bored stuck in our small hotel room and no pool or leisure centre to hang out! Would not go back!

Room Tip: Dont go for smoking rooms, as we think you get a small dingy room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Springs poking out of the side of the twin bed mattress scratched my leg. The shower didn't drain which meant one stood in water. Light covers were missing in bathroom, and no a/c. The cincher was it was billed as an airport hotel but had no commuter service. Taxi service was $15 to the a/p, about 15 min away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveller1947291
Reviewed October 15, 2013

stayed here for two nights recently and we had a lovely time friendly and helpful staff lovely breakfast and charming hotel,we used it as a base for visiting bunratty castle and we were glad we did overall i have no complaints about this hotel and would recommend it

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carolinek138
Fermoy, Ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights because we got a super deal which included 2x nights B&B and dinner! When we arrived we were given a smallish double room which was very clean but was very dated. Chipped paint was evident etc....! Following some drinks in the bar we returned to our room smelling of cigarette smoke! As we don't smoke I found this hugely surprising and wondered if someone had entered our room. Rang Reception & they were extremely helpful & following a check of the CCTV assured us no one had entered our room. However they also decided to move us and " upgrade" us to the " bebhinn suite". This was a much bigger room and thankfully a lot warmer than our previous room. On the downside though this room was also terribly outdated and grotty. The worst part of the room though was a freaky picture of a young girl that looked like something out of the film the "exorcism of Emilyrose"!!! She followed me around the room whereever I went and when I slept!!! Get rid of this picture!!! The service was super however & I must commend the food! We are both very fussy eaters & like to eat in the best restaurants but I must say that dinner in the hotel was excellent - we were really surprised!!!! Can't fault the staff- top class customer service but the decor is hugely outdated and a bit if a turn off and that picture has to go ASAP!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank edujbaby
Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at Oak Wood Arms Hotel the last night in Ireland for our Honeymoon because it was so close and convenient to the Shannon Airport since we had a very early flight out the next morning. We were VERY HAPPY with our choice! The food was decent in the pub and we had a few Guinness as well of course! Quiet stay and we got a great night's sleep! Very satisfied at how easy it was to get to the airport early the next morning!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Motown07
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My travelling partner and I decided to avail of the great offer that was running on Deal rush of 2 Nights Bed and Breakfast midweek with dinner one evening for excellent value of €99 in total. When you hear that some people can be a bit "iffy" on what to expect.

We didn't go in with any sort of expectations in mind so what we got was absolutely fantastic. The gentleman who checked us in was lovely and very clear on directions to the rooms which when you walk down through the lobby the layout of the hotel could confuse you so the directions were a must! The hotel has an aeronautical theme to it but at the same time has an unusual medieval theme with thrones and wooden walls throughout! A real difference to the way a lot of hotels are decorated!

The room was ample sized and perfect for the 2 of us with a comfortable double and single bed that didn't squeak! The number of places that I have been that the single beds squeak is amazing so to experience a non squeaking bed at such great value really made me so happy :-D

We decided to avail of our meal that was with the package on the first night and what we received was top class. I decided to have the Fish cake to start and the chow mein for main and it was beautiful! Plenty of vegetables in the chow mein and it wasn't completely overwhelmed with the sauce. The portion sizes were fantastic and you definitely wouldn't feel hungry leaving the restaurant.

The decor of the restaurant was also lovely but completely different to the rest of the hotel. The room is bright and the lighting or you could say chandeliers are all lovely and a very unique style.

After eating we decided to enjoy a few quiet drinks in the bar and the value was great! We were drinking the house wine and at €15 a bottle it is a great tasty choice as well.

Breakfast the next morning we arrived down nearer the end of breakfast so there was obviously a lot of the breakfast stuff gone. If we had been down earlier there would have been a really fantastic selection available so we can only blame ourselves for that as we learnt the second morning! We made do with what was left on offer and all was fine except the scrambled egg. I don't know if it was a case of too much milk added or just not cooked long enough but they were not nice and I just couldn't bring myself to try them the next day. Other than that though everything was lovely and I have to say it was lovely to see Hash Browns on the menu. An odd one I know but I have not seen them in a long long time so I was delighted!

After deciding what must have been one of the wettest days possible to do a bit of sightseeing at the Cliffs of Moher I'm sure the housekeeping ladies must have been shocked when they walked into our room to see coats drying from every possible raised angle possible and I mean possible! Between 2 of us we ended up with 4 coats and 2 ponchos absolutely soaking wet! I ended up having to go to the shopping centre to buy new clothes we got that wet! However they came in and cleaned as best they could around the chaos of drying!!!

All in all we would both be happy to return to the Oak Wood Arms Hotel Hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to other people in a heartbeat! Staff were lovely, ambience was lovely and the place is kept very well.

Only recommendations I would have for the hotel is look into maybe getting fans in the bathrooms. After showering the bathroom is very stuffy but again that is only a minor thing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank broadtraveller862
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel the weekend of the 31st of August to the 2nd of September. I had bought a voucher along with others on deal rush to view for my wedding next year. We arrived at about 2:30 on the Saturday afternoon after travelling from Dublin. The first person we met on arrival was Susan the head receptionist who was unable to find the booking I had made for myself and my bridal party four weeks before hand. The lady was very rude and made booking us in a huge effort. As she is the front of house staff she was not very pleasant or welcoming. I explained that I would be looking to speak to someone who could show me around the hotel as I was interested in having my wedding there next summer. We where told that the manger was not available but that he would call to the room later that day. We where also informed that the meal we wanted to book in for would not be in the restaurant because it closes on a Sunday and we would have to have dinner in the bar.The rooms we where giving were nothing like the pictures that are advertised on the website and where very outdated. We booked are meal for 9 o clock on the second night, as we had to have this in the bar I wanted to reserve a table as the night before there where none left. The bar staff didn't know anything about having a meal from the restaurant menu. After talking to the receptionist about this they agreed to reserve a table. On the way down for are meal I asked to speak to the manger because I was still interested in viewing the wedding room and bridal suite at this stage no one had came to be regarding my request to view the wedding room and bridal suite. To my surprise the manger knew nothing about me being interested in having a wedding here and neither did the wedding planner. I was told that I could have a look around after dinner. When we went to the bar for dinner there was no table reserved like I had requested. My mother was the only one to have chicken for her dinner and had to go back to the room straight afterwards as she felt very ill. Due to this it was only myself and future mother in-law that was able to view the wedding room. The wedding planner Rita was a lovely lady and was one of the nicest staff we came across the whole weekend. The next morning myself and two of my bridal party went to breakfast. When we went for breakfast the bread was green mould, we brought this to the waitress attention and was told that was the 5th one that morning. When I returned home I sent an email to the manger who rang me and was ever so apologetic and offered myself and my partner a free trip to view the hotel for are wedding. I told him I would have to speak with my fiancé but if he could send me details I would get back to him. After hearing nothing back four weeks later I emailed to ask for details. Yet again to be let down with no response. I would urge people to avoid this hotel as it was a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: The only good room I seen on was stay was the bridal suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank jenny d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
#1 of 2 in Bunratty
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!