“An Excellent Stay”

and 1 more site!
Dun Ri Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at Dun Ri for 2 nights then added another night on as it was so welcoming. Lovely peat fire awaited us in the reception area with chairs next to the hearth. A comfy sitting room with kettle and chocolate biscuits to have with tea/coffee after a days sightseeing. Beautiful Irish breakfast each morning with lots of good coffee. The bedroom had crisp white linen and large beds. Some rooms have a view of the mountains also.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Really lovely accommodation in the heart of Clifden. Stayed here for one night after Christmas. Breakfast was super. Michael the host was kind with his time and recommended a trip down the old bog road, made famous due to the locals not travelling this road at night due to its supernatural past. Great way to come to back to Clifden from Roundstone and a really beautiful yet eerie road. Thanks Michael. Alexis and Peter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The friends we were with on this trip have stayed at Dun Ri eight times and we can see why. The location is fantastic, an easy short walk to the town center. Our room was very comfortable, I appreciated the bath tub one evening when I was chilled. Michael and Aileen were very friendly and we also enjoyed talking to their children. The peat fire in the lobby was an added bonus. We would definitely stay at Dun Ri again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed in Dun Ri for the second year. Really enjoyed last year and felt immediately at home this time. Michael and Aileen are excellent hosts and have the right measure of being on hand when needed but not intrusive in any way.
The accommodation couldn't be faulted. Spotlessly clean and comfortable. We were there for five days and had our bedding changed on the third day and pristine towels every day. Very efficient shower and plenty of hot water at all times. The weather had turned chilly but the house was well heated. The turf fire in Reception was a real bonus!
Breakfast was really great, well presented and varied. The homemade bread was a great favourite.
I must mention Michael and Aileen's two lovely young daughters. They were delightful.

All being well we will return to Clifden next year and the only place to stay will be Dun Ri.

Many thanks Michael and Aileen

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for a full week while conducting research for a book I'm writing, so I had ample opportunity to experience Dun Ri. I'm so glad I booked here!

First, the basics: our room (#6) was spacious (a twin bed for our suitcases, a double bed for us), the mattress was comfortable, a hairdryer was provided (very convenient!) - there was even a view of the Pony Grounds from our window - deserted when we visited (except for a few lucky sheep who had the grass all to themselves.)

The plumbing surprised us by being so good (that hasn't always been our experience in Ireland).In addition, there was always plenty of hot water - and the water pressure in the shower was great. I'll mention one minor quibble (and believe me, I had to really think hard to find one) so you know they're not paying me: the toiletries provided are minimal. Two tiny bars of soap, a shower cap, and two tiny bottles of bath/shower gel that smell like strong men's cologne. My advice? Bring your own!

As for the location, it was perfect. Far enough off the beaten path that you didn't hear the pub revelers reveling until all hours, but close enough to the "main drag" that you could walk to everything. My husband and I aren't exactly fitness freaks, but the walking around proved to be virtually unnoticeable to our 40-something feet.

The hospitality? Matchless. Owner Michael King and his wife Aileen run Dun Ri with a combination of friendliness and professionalism that many word-class hotels would rightly envy.

On our first morning at breakfast (which, by the way, was spectacular - we didn't need to eat lunch all week), I somewhat sheepishly brought a Coca-Cola to the table. Without batting an eyelash, Aileen brought me a glass of ice - and remembered to do the same on every subsequent morning without my ever asking.

I mentioned that breakfast was amazing - here are the details: "full Irish," of course (eggs, Irish bacon, sausage, white pudding, grilled tomato) which you an customize however you'd like), or pancakes and sausage, or fresh fruit and yogurt, or a cheese plate, or baked beans on toast. Tea or coffee. White toast and brown bread with jam and marmalade. A buffet with apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit sections, and 3 varieties of cereal. Getting hungry?

Back to the hospitality... later in the week, we asked Michael who we should call for a taxi - we were going to a local stable, and didn't feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road (we're American, if you haven't guessed!) He insisted on driving us himself. With, might I add, some fascinating commentary on the way. When I timidly brought up the subject of payment at the end of the ride, he cut me off with a smile - "Go," he said. "Enjoy your day."

Every night, we spent a few hours in the "lounge," sometimes meeting and chatting with other guests, sometimes relaxing with a cup of tea (provided) and checking emails. (Free wifi in the lounge and breakfast room!)

A few special touches: the main entrance hall featured a real turf fire (smells wonderful!) and the guest register told of satisfied guests from around the globe.

And now? Two more happy customers have added their names and another glowing comment.

The next time we come to Ireland, I hope we get a chance to stay here again. Dun Ri is simply the best.

Room Tip: We were in #6 - which has twin bed and a double/queen. On longer stays, that would be a good one to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked 2 nights thru the tourist office in Westport but ended up adding a 3rd night. Had a queen bed, small room but perfectly adequate & comfortable. Larger rooms are available. Windows overlooked the carpark at the front of the hotel, but the location is downhill from the main street so it was quiet. Michael & Aileen were excellent hosts - kept an afternoon peat fire going in the lobby making it feel cozy. Comfortable public areas & a good breakfast. We met another US couple who stay there regularly & we can see why. Good pubs with a variety of music in town - check out JConnneely's for early AND late music. Easy access to the Sky Road & Bog Loops, Roundstone, Kylemore Abbey. Great dinner at Mitchell's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed at Dun Ri in mid June. Returning after a walk in the beautiful countryside we encountered very heavy rain (not surprising in Connemara). Michael had a turf fire burning and we setled in the lounge with a cup of tea and biscuits. Used the computer to take care of some business and then rested and rocked while making indoor (eating and shopping) plans for the rest of the day. The location is perfect, very quiet but a few minutes for all activities. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented. The tub in the room was a real plus. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends