“I'd never stay anywhere else”
Review of Dun Ri Guesthouse

Dun Ri Guesthouse
Ranked #10 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Lansdale, PA
“I'd never stay anywhere else”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for a full week while conducting research for a book I'm writing, so I had ample opportunity to experience Dun Ri. I'm so glad I booked here!

First, the basics: our room (#6) was spacious (a twin bed for our suitcases, a double bed for us), the mattress was comfortable, a hairdryer was provided (very convenient!) - there was even a view of the Pony Grounds from our window - deserted when we visited (except for a few lucky sheep who had the grass all to themselves.)

The plumbing surprised us by being so good (that hasn't always been our experience in Ireland).In addition, there was always plenty of hot water - and the water pressure in the shower was great. I'll mention one minor quibble (and believe me, I had to really think hard to find one) so you know they're not paying me: the toiletries provided are minimal. Two tiny bars of soap, a shower cap, and two tiny bottles of bath/shower gel that smell like strong men's cologne. My advice? Bring your own!

As for the location, it was perfect. Far enough off the beaten path that you didn't hear the pub revelers reveling until all hours, but close enough to the "main drag" that you could walk to everything. My husband and I aren't exactly fitness freaks, but the walking around proved to be virtually unnoticeable to our 40-something feet.

The hospitality? Matchless. Owner Michael King and his wife Aileen run Dun Ri with a combination of friendliness and professionalism that many word-class hotels would rightly envy.

On our first morning at breakfast (which, by the way, was spectacular - we didn't need to eat lunch all week), I somewhat sheepishly brought a Coca-Cola to the table. Without batting an eyelash, Aileen brought me a glass of ice - and remembered to do the same on every subsequent morning without my ever asking.

I mentioned that breakfast was amazing - here are the details: "full Irish," of course (eggs, Irish bacon, sausage, white pudding, grilled tomato) which you an customize however you'd like), or pancakes and sausage, or fresh fruit and yogurt, or a cheese plate, or baked beans on toast. Tea or coffee. White toast and brown bread with jam and marmalade. A buffet with apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit sections, and 3 varieties of cereal. Getting hungry?

Back to the hospitality... later in the week, we asked Michael who we should call for a taxi - we were going to a local stable, and didn't feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road (we're American, if you haven't guessed!) He insisted on driving us himself. With, might I add, some fascinating commentary on the way. When I timidly brought up the subject of payment at the end of the ride, he cut me off with a smile - "Go," he said. "Enjoy your day."

Every night, we spent a few hours in the "lounge," sometimes meeting and chatting with other guests, sometimes relaxing with a cup of tea (provided) and checking emails. (Free wifi in the lounge and breakfast room!)

A few special touches: the main entrance hall featured a real turf fire (smells wonderful!) and the guest register told of satisfied guests from around the globe.

And now? Two more happy customers have added their names and another glowing comment.

The next time we come to Ireland, I hope we get a chance to stay here again. Dun Ri is simply the best.

Room Tip: We were in #6 - which has twin bed and a double/queen. On longer stays, that would be a good one to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked 2 nights thru the tourist office in Westport but ended up adding a 3rd night. Had a queen bed, small room but perfectly adequate & comfortable. Larger rooms are available. Windows overlooked the carpark at the front of the hotel, but the location is downhill from the main street so it was quiet. Michael & Aileen were excellent hosts - kept an afternoon peat fire going in the lobby making it feel cozy. Comfortable public areas & a good breakfast. We met another US couple who stay there regularly & we can see why. Good pubs with a variety of music in town - check out JConnneely's for early AND late music. Easy access to the Sky Road & Bog Loops, Roundstone, Kylemore Abbey. Great dinner at Mitchell's.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed at Dun Ri in mid June. Returning after a walk in the beautiful countryside we encountered very heavy rain (not surprising in Connemara). Michael had a turf fire burning and we setled in the lounge with a cup of tea and biscuits. Used the computer to take care of some business and then rested and rocked while making indoor (eating and shopping) plans for the rest of the day. The location is perfect, very quiet but a few minutes for all activities. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented. The tub in the room was a real plus. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Located in a quiet corner, few minutes away from the Market Square (not that you can be miles away anywhere else in Clifden hehe)
Rooms are amazing, comfy bed, new furniture, all clean and well decorated. Room size is rather average but it is sufficient so unless for some odd reason you plan on spending your days in the rooms it doesn't make much of a difference.
There is a great common room available where you can read a book or watch some telly.
Owners are nice and very helpful and breakfast is amazing - what more to ask for? ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tkrysiak
Parma, Italy
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Approx 5 minute from Clifdens Market Sq , this guesthouse have large elegant rooms and is located in a quiet place.
Several parking lots are located just in front the entrance.
I think it's more than a b&b , just one step from the services and accomodations of a real hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corrado M
Dublin
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My friend and I stayed here one night B&B on a weekend trip to Co Galway.
It's situated right on the middle of the little town of Clifden, a short walk to everywhere in the town.
We were met on arrival by the owner and shown the drawing room with Tea/Coffee making facilities, a full library of books for guests use, and lots of soft furnishings for relaxing. Next door was the breakfast room, clean bright and set up for the morning.
Our room then was a twin ensuite - bright and airy, tastefully decorated and clean. The colours and solid wood furniture giving a feel of luxury. The room also had a TV, which we had no need for but it was good to have if wanted.
We wanted to visit the beach and the owner very kindly gave us a map and directions to Dogs Bay, only a short 10 min drive away. Beautiful beach, spent a lovely couple hours there before taking a nice drive around the coast. Clifden is beautiful, really worth a visit.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely. Friendly and quick service with lots of choice - full cooked breakfast, cereal, fruit, pancakes and cheeses.
Check out then was quick as we had to get going again to Galway City.
All in all - beautiful property, lovely owners, great location and outstanding value. If I'm staying in Clifden again then this will be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2012
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Spent one night. Loved the location, the room, the breakfast. Michael went above and beyond to help, beginning with carrying up my suitcase to helping me change out the fuse in the cigarette lighter of the car so I could use the GPS. Aileen made a delicious breakfast. The linens smelled very clean. And it was nice to walk to the restaurants. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family