“Great stay in Connemara”
Review of Ben View House

and 1 more site!
Ben View House
Ranked #1 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Lawrence Kansas
“Great stay in Connemara”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I arrived in Clifden by bicycle, without lodging arranged. Ben View house was found located directly across the street from the tourist office, which happened to be closed at the time.

The room was clean, the staff friendly and accommodating. Upon my request, secure storage of my bicycle was provided. The price of the room was more than reasonable. In the area of the hotel were a variety of restaurants and pubs. Breakfast was of good quality and quantity.

I would go back, and would recommend to anyone interested in a great Irish holiday.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
Alabama
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This is one of the best kept secrets of Ireland! I cannot find enough wonderful words to describe the owners of this old world charm B&B. Our room was a nice size (typical European) the bathroom was larger than MOST bathrooms I have experienced in Europe and the noise level was not at all unbearable! Charming antiques and a wonderful breakfast can be found here as well! I would stay here time and again! I really feel that these owners go out of their way to make you feel right at home and part of the family!

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners!
  • Disliked — Maybe parking?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
Reviewed May 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed there on a cold rainy night in January, Despite the other reviews, we had a big room, an excellent bathroom, it was warm and cosy. We were at the back of the house upstairs. The owners were very friendly and helpful. I loved all the family memorabilia and the breakfast room. We stayed at 10 different places in Ireland and it is the one I will always remember. Would I go back there? every time. I really felt at home. We should have stayed longer.

Stayed January 2008
Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2007

If you want the absolute best in Irish hospitality, this is the place! Eileen & Desmond Morris knew the name of each family member, advised us on evening activities, and would have done anything to make our stay lovely. We had multiple breakfast choices that were delicious and beautifully composed on the plate. I only wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — Warm and kind owners
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halmstad, Sweden
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The smallest B&B room I've ever seen in this part of Ireland. The bathroom was inside a closet, 15 cm from the bed, with doors unable to close properly. Not the ideal thing for shy people... The shower was located permanently high upon the wall, and the water pressure was very poor.

The floor ofcourse was covered with a rug, which had not seen a cleaning machine ever. Bring your slippers!

The place is very centrally located, and faces a busy street through town centre (one way street around centre). This means there was traffic noise nearly all night, and much noise from people heading home after a night at the pub.

The breakfast room was overfilled with antiques, for them whos interested. The breakfast itself consisted of several choices, you could have pancakes and fruit instead of full Irish breakfast.

So all in all, search for another place if you need space, hygiene and a good night sleep.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank BravoNovember
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I love this place. Yes, the rooms are small and the facilities may not be "up to date", but the folks who own this place are top rate. The same family has run it for generations and they take great pride in what they do. I stumbled across it four years ago and now it's where I stay in Clifden. It has a great location, right in the village of Clifden with gift shops, book stores and pubs all within easy walking distance. It makes a great base of operations for explorations of Connemara.
The dining room and lounge are full of fascinating family mementos, antiques, and other items relevant to the region. It has a character you won't find in more modern establishments.
The proprieters are warm and welcoming and have gone out of their way to help me each time I've been there. The first time I stayed there, they let me use their phone to make a long distance call to the US when I was having a problem with my bank card. I wouldn't think of visiting Clifden and Connemara without a stay at the Ben View.

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — No off street parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Be friendly!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank Northshore9
London
Reviewed May 31, 2006

Ben View is located in Clifden, Co Galway.
Rooms are very small, bathrooms smaller and in need of a good update (like doors that close, and a shower you dont have to run around to get wet in)
Room was also draughty and noisy. Also felt cold even with the heating on.
Part of the charm of this place is it's theme of 19th Century. That may appeal to some on the heritage trail, but those who want a decent night sleep and good bathroom facilites may want something more up to date.
However that said, the staff were very friendly and the full Irish breakfast was nice. It is also centrally located for the town and nearby Sky Rd, where the scenary is magical.

I alway judge a place on the 'would I go back' factor. Well probably not. For the money there are better places and considering myself a 'seasoned' traveler think this was expensive for what I got.

2 Thank Drooper