“Nice place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Hillside Lodge
Ranked #4 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Clifden is a great little town with a great surrounding area of natural beauty. I was we would have spent more time in the area.
As for the house, everything was great minus it's being a ways out of town. The room and beds were comfortable, the food tasty, and the host friendly and helpful.
It is an easy drive into town and to some great overlooks with wonderful views. However, if you want to go into town for a few pints, don't plan on walking.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank ColeDog13

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I wish I could give Hillside Lodge 10 stars. I stayed at the Hillside Lodge in Connemara for just 2 nights in Sept 2012, with my Mum. First of all, I would not describe Hillside as a B&B, I think it was built specifically as a guest house, and there is big difference. It's not just a house converted to a B&B with really small rooms/bathrooms. Our room was really large with 2 twin beds and a large bathroom, both were decorated very tastefully and classy, with very personal touches by Ruth the owner, and it was immaculately clean and spotless. The bed was very comfortable, and the bed linens were top quality. It was very cozy but modern. Instead of a $15 alarm clock radio next to my bed, I had a kick a_ _ Bose alarm clock radio with an IPod dock !!! Waking up and looking out our bedroom window to see our neighbors, a herd of sheep just grazing in the pasture across the little road, was just what I had hoped to see on my trip to Ireland. The rest of the house was furnished just the same as our bedroom, cozy but classy. The guest living room is warm, comforting and just like home. The breakfast room was very spacious, with a very cute chalk board above the buffet table where Ruth gives her guests notes on "today's weather". Ruth's breakfasts were the best I had on my trip, with a wonderful "Irish Breakfast" of top quality bacon and sausage etc. along with the buffet of juices, cereal, yogurts, fresh fruits and Ruth's homemade museli, a must have. Ruth's assistant who served breakfast was amazing too, very polite, professional, and always there. Just as I poured my last cup of delicious fresh coffee, she brought me another full pot. Ruth was very friendly, personable, and professional, gave great advice on where to go and what to see, but didn't impose and was not "in your face" like some other proprietors that we met on our trip. Clifden is a great mid point place to stay while visiting beautiful Connemara, and the Hillside Lodge is DEFINITELY the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LosAngelesSue
Reviewed October 9, 2012

lovely b&b in the countryside, with sheep under the windows. Spacious and confortable room, hostess very well organized (you can order breakfast the previous evening) and 5min drive from clifden and the restaurants. The place to stay in the area!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Don't know where to start...
Just the road to get this B&B is beautiful, but when we entered to Hillside lodge, we were amazed.
It was definitely the most beautiful B&B we ever saw.
Ask for the Beatles room !
We spend our first minutes by just taking photos of this lovely room. They think about everything in advance, every question and information you need - is already answered in the information book in the room.
They offered a free rent of bicycles or winter mud boots. Ruth recommend us to drive a little bit on the Sky Road to see the sunset, and it was so beautiful.
Breakfast had a great variety of choice and of course - the lounge and dining area are also highly decorated.
The only downside was that we only had one night stay... We wish we had more time !
If there was an option to give higher to Excellent rating - we would use it !

Reviewed October 9, 2012

As with many stops on our three week+ tour of UK and Ireland, one night was not enough. Hillside Lodge is simply superb in a wonderful country setting. HINT: Skip the time-consuming side trip to O'Dowd's Seafood Bar in Roundstone and head straight to Clifden. [There's plenty of fine food in Clifden]. Clifden turns out to be a neat little walk-about town and our walk up the road from Hillside Lodge exposed us to one of the most magnificent vistas seen on the whole trip.

An added treat and one of the trip highlights was finally satisfying my craving for lamb chops. Seamus Kelly; Butcher Extraordinaire supplied the mountain-grazed chops. Yes, Ruth thought my breakfast request a bit odd but she cooked them to perfection in lieu of the morning bacon and sausage. What a treat! Thank you Ruth.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a very comfortable place to stay while visiting Clifden. The rooms are very clean. Breakfast was delicious! Located directly across from access to a walking trail to Clifden Castle. (Be sure to use the boots provided near the front door! The path is often very muddy!) The hosts were not really around much while we stayed there, but Ruth was very pleasant and helpful when we met her. The house, as noted in several reviews, is FULL of music memorabilia. We stayed in room 6. It was nice to have the TV room. My wife took a nap while I watched some TV in the seperate room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wonderful place, comfortable, clean, great view, fantastic breakfast, great hosts, and brilliant also for music geeks! Location was good, just outside town on the scenic Sky Road. Managed to get the Beatles room, very interesting.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple