“A very special B&B in a magical part of Ireland”
Review of Faul House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
Faul House
Ranked #7 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just spent two nights in the wonderful Faul House outside Clifden in Connemara and what a special experience. This B&B is a little hideaway of warm, welcoming hospitality in the most mystical of landscapes. Sea views, ancient old walls and hawthorn trees leaning into atlantic breezes all around conjure up otherworldly times.
The walks were stunning and the light in the evenings is a painters dream - think Turner and Blake delicate gold and fiery orange.
In the midst of this, the wonderful hosts Kathleen and Michael run a B&B that mixes the best of modern facilities with old-fashioned charm. The combination of open fires, home-made brown bread with spotless rooms and everything we needed was a joy to find. The super-comfortable bed and deep silence of the country side left us feeling relaxed and utterly refreshed after our stay and birdsong in the morning was a delight for city dwellers.
Also great fun was had with our hosts Michael and Kathleen and I wanted to take the little dog Ruby home with me! Can't recommend this B&B highly enough

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights here and had a fantastic time. Kathleen the hostess is a delight and makes you feel at home. The rooms are spotless and the beds are *SO* comfortable. There is a peat fire at night which is a special Connemara experience. Breakfast was top notch. I know it seems like a simple thing, but Kathleen cooks the best scrambled eggs I've ever eaten. Maybe it was because they raise the chickens on the farm!

The location was fantastic. The B&B is on a farm, and the hosts let you walk around. The day we were there there was a new faul we got to see which was fantastic. There are lovely views of the inlet. I recommend the relatively short walk to town if you are into such things. The walk along the lane is beautiful, and there are many lovely sights you will miss going by fast in the car.

In all, I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a wonderful two day stay in the family room at Faul House. Michael let the children collect eggs for their breakfasts and introduced them to the animals - a treat for city dwellers. Location is perfect for walking and exploring. Kathleen keeps Faul House absolutely spotless and very comfortable. Delicious breakfast, warm welcome, friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Situated about 2km outside Clifden, far enough to build up an appetite and close enough to walk home. If you're looking for a definition of warm Irish welcome, then spend a night or two in the company of Michael and Kathleen. Their fantastic breakfasts will prepare you for the moist Irish weather, and their comfortable living room with big turf fire will return your spirits in the evening.

During our visit, there were lads out for the weekend, couples, both young and old, having a romantic weekend away, friends visiting friends with babies, and ourselves with a young family. I don't know what it was about the house but no one was bothered by anyone else.

For our part, we got to pick the chicken and duck eggs, were able to roam their fields, to admire the new foals and horses, to see stone walls up close and personal, see real Irish stone cottages and wade in the sea and the stream flowing down to it.

Close by is the Alcock and Brown landing site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_flight_of_Alcock_and_Brown) and the site of Marconi's first transatlantic wireless station. We also spent time on the coral beach just down the road and many hours absorbing the raw beauty of Connemara.

If it's your plan to take a trip to the west, then Faul house is a good base to operate from.

Ken.

Room Tip: Ask for a fold up bed if your family falls outside the common definition.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ken_Fallon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My Husband and I and my parents stayed at Faul House for several days whilst exploring Connemara this Spring.
Kathleen is a wonderful hostess - very knowledgeable about the area, welcoming, full of interesting stories and her breakfasts are to die for! The rooms are comfortable with everything you need. Fantastic local walks and Clifden has some lovely eating places and pubs for the evening. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Conneely family created a wonderful family — make yourself at home — experience on their farm. We still could walk the narrow lanes into town, but experience the country quiet. Breakfast to die for! Near the quay, too. Can't say enough.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

When I first arrived I was impressed with the outside of the house...hard to find, I might add. At first I felt like the owner was not super happy that I was there, but I think she was ready to leave somewhere because the next morning she could not have been nicer...I wish I would have talked to her more, and she's funny. As far as the room went, it was just ok. The rug could definitely have used a vacuum, the garbage was never taken out, the napkin over the tea looked like it was from the last person, and the towels were very stiff. The room felt a little cold...not temp-wise but could have used another rug or something. Breakfast in the morning was delicious. Overall, I would say that my stay was ok.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo