“A welcome retreat”

Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We arrived at the restaurant well after the early bird special was finished ( had a bunch of children with us) however the hostess kindly made the menu available to us. The food and service were excellent, the waiter heated some baby food for us without any fuss. I would certainly go back and would recommend the restaurant; we also had a few drinks in the hotel afterwards, lovely ambience with open fires on a cold wet night.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I dined at the Gallery Restaurant on Sunday evening. I had booked in advance for a table at 7.30pm - I need not have bothered! When we arrived only two other tables were occupied. We were seated by the window and presented with the a la carte menu (having declined the Mothers' Day Menu). The menu is very good and not too overly priced. I had a starter of crab cake which was excellent. Hubby had chicken caesar salad and his spotlessly clean plate attested to its quality. I had grilled salmon for main while hubby had the rack of lamb. My salmon was simply superb and hubby enjoyed his lamb. Side dishes were very ample in size and very tasty. While eating our starters the other two tables were vacated so we were entirely alone in the restaurant for the remainder of our meal. I know it was a Sunday night and the end of March so I suppose one couldn't expect it to be very busy but we found the distinct lack of atmosphere very off-putting. It would be interesting to try this place during the high season.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you are looking for pub fare and noise, don't come here! After many trips to Clifden, we finally wandered into The Gallery. What a wonderful surprise!!! Sitting at the window in the soft candle-light watching the unwinding town go by made such a lovely evening. We had starters of mushrooms and leek and potato soup - both delicious! My husband had the bacon-wrapped chicken entrée and I had the red thai curry with rice and naan - again, both wonderfully prepared. The wait staff were great - very efficient and pleasant but not intrusive. We lingered over coffee and tea for quite awhile.
Later in the week, we returned for an Irish breakfast. This was one of the best I've had and very reasonable. We definitely will return on our next trip to Clifden.

2  Thank Carolyn F
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service but if you're after the local famous atmosphere, you won't find it here. It's a nice quiet spot.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was one of the best meals I have ever had. My girlfriend and I took our annual trip to Clifden and decided to try The Gallery restaurant for a change. The staff were very intelligent and seen we were looking for some romance so they gave us the best seats in the house... beside the window. We found the menu had a great selection of food much to our delight. I would highly recommend the spicy chicken wings to start and the salmon for mains. Delicious!! Mind blowing food. As for deserts... The chocolate mousse cake was incredible! coupled with the great wine the girlfriend and I were well pleased with ourselves for this 'discovery' and we will be back