“5 star food in a 3 star hotel”

The Gallery Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 36 Restaurants in Clifden
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Sligo, Ireland
“5 star food in a 3 star hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A friend of mine recommended I ate here. It was a long drive from Galway city but it was well worth it. I booked a table for 2 and was greeted warmly at the door. The décor was very calming and the lighting combined with the background music created a lovely atmosphere. The staff were all very polite and helpful. I was glad we had booked as the restaurant was very busy. The soup was veg and curry. It sounded strange but tasted delicious, better than boring tomato or veg like everywhere else. My husband had mussels to start and they were cooked to a perfection. I had chicken for mains and it really hit the spot. The desserts were all homemade and you could certainly tell. I have already told all my family and friends about this restaurant. I will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013

“A great place with great staff.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

A group of 10 stay at this hotel and had ouf dinner in the galley . The food was first class and very nice staff. I could not say one bad thing about it. Yes I will be back . Thanks all .

“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 night and i could recommend it more. We ate in the restaurant both nights as the food was fantastic and great value. The staff were so friendly and attentive nothing was any bother to them. I would highly recommend this restaurant to my family and friends. And we will dif be goin back to them.

Dublin
“Ate here as it was rated No 1 by trip advisor at the time”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I expected more. This place is really just a coffee shop in the front of the Alcock and Brown hotel. The staff were friendly and tried hard.

I had the chowder which had been highly commended in Trip advisor reviews, I found it very disappointing just some cod and salmon in a milky sauce,no mussels or other interesting shellfish. I am not quite sure what turnips have to do with chowder. Absolutely the worst Chowder I had in years.

The Monkfish ( the most expensive main course we had all weekend) was seriously over cooked and rubbery. Cheesecake desert bland and felt bought in.

The wine selection in line with a country pub , limited and cheap. The tables were tiny again in line with a coffee shop. All the artwork was for sale and the noise echoed through the room. every surface was hard.

The evening menu worked out more expensive than the "real " restaurants next door. I believe they do an early bird menu which was cheaper but it finishes at 7.30 pm. All in all an expensive bad experience.

This place was the worst meal of the weekend in Clifden where the standards have risen considerably since the demise of the Celtic tiger.

Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent food by a French chef!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had eaten in The Gallery Restaurant previously and really liked it. While the first time was during early Spring, there seemed to be a lot of regular diners eating there. The restaurant is attached to the Alcock & Brown hotel (see separate hotel review). I recently planned a birthday dinner in The Gallery for 60 people. The chef, who is French, prepared the agreed menu and it was just terrific. All my guests thoroughly enjoyed the food (the smoked salmon and prawn roulade is delicious) as was the hake and beef dishes. Wines (recommeded by owner) were great. Above all the service is excellent. The main dining room personnel, Paula and Bernie, really know their business, but all waiters/waitresses were friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them. They certainly helped in ensuring my special night was a great success! The owners take a very 'hands-on' approach to the hotel and restaurant - and their attention to detail is evident.

Visited July 2013