“Loved Brookside”
Review of Brookside Hostel

Brookside Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
Brookside Hostel
Ranked #12 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Clifden
Leiria
“Loved Brookside”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I've been at Brookside hostel for three days and would like to have stayed for a few more. Brookside is a very nice place to stay, very familiar, good accomodations, everything clean and peaceful. Mr Richard Bartley welcomes very nicely, gives very good informations about what to do in the region and he's always smiling and in a good humour. I had a Magic Map that was very useful. Surely i'll be back again one day. Thank you for your kindness.
Lígia

Stayed August 2008, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ontario
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Richard is the kindest hostel owner of all we stayed at. GREAT location within walking distance of pubs, restaurants, and grocery store. The rooms and inside setting are plain but very clean. TV and internet access, and a full kitchen. If you need travel advice or any other information, Richard is happy to provide. Easy to find and very quiet in the bedrooms compared to other hostels I stayed at. Great if you want to stay in a place with conveniences, but that is not a big city.

• Liked — The kind owners and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Slower than average internet is the only thing I can come up with.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Over the May bank holiday I hired a car along with my sister and boyfriend and we traveled along part of the west coast of Ireland. We hadn't booked accomodation on the Saturday night, and so when we were about 1 1/2 hours out of Cliften looked up this hostel in the Lonely Planet and called ahead to see if they had any vacancies. I was told that they did so we headed there. When we turned up we were greeted by an older man who was all very chummy and friendly, but we said that we wanted to see the dorm rooms and find out the prices before accepting them. He gave us the keys to an 8 bed dorm, or said that we could have the 4 bed dorm, but we would have to pay for the extra bed in the room. I asked what would happen if we didn't want to take the last bed and were happy to have someone else in the room and he refused to even answer!
We went upstairs, but the rooms were very basic and without any character and the bathrooms weren't ensuite. We decided that it wasn't worth it, especially if we would have to pay €80 for the 4 bed dorm(!) so we went back downstairs and said, "sorry but we're going to leave it, it's not what we were expecting." Well the chummy old man turned and started saying that we'd done "pretty much the worst thing we possibly could, ringing ahead and booking 4(!!!) hours in advance and then cancelling on him...etc... rant... etc..." I could understand his stance if I'd booked ahead and his hostel was full and he had to turn away other bookings, but I only called him 90minutes prior to arriving, the hostel was half empty and we didn't even discuss price when I called, let alone confirm a booking. He chased us out the door, yelling at us to keep going and that we should go find a 5 star hotel somewhere.
Not the way to win customers.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank mickeybos1
Ohio
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I had stayed at B&B's up until our stay at Brookside. We had gone inside to check it out and fell in love with Richard. I can't say enough about him. We ended up staying another night after following his Magic Map. We never would have known about the places he told us about and, in the end, this was the favorite part of our 2 weeks in Ireland.
My son and I were traveling together and there was a private room available that night for us to stay together.
If Richard can help you, he will. He is very, very funny! He isn't pushy, just start talking to him and he will open up. He is amazingly knowledgeable about the surrounding areas- he will tell you everything you need to know for a great experience.
When we return we will definitely stay again at Brookside Hostel.

• Stayed September 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 7, 2006

it is four years that I've been to Brookside Hostel and I still remember my time there many a day as one of the best I had in my life.

I was in Ireland for three months and nearly two months of it in Brookside Hostel because my car was stranded at a mechanic's (about that mechanic I can't tell much positive things). Brookside Hostel was then (and hopefully still is) managed by Richard and his wife. Richard is a soul of a man, who can tell you much and more about Clifden and its surroundings and even paints you nice little maps if you want to make a tour around this beautifully scenic region. Above all though he made all of us feel at home and even went with me to another mechanic who got my car working at last.

Later on they also started to rent bicycles, which are a perfect combinations to the maps Richard can draw you.

All in all: if you come across Clifden, stay at Brookside Hostel, I am sure you are going to love it.

• Stayed August 2001
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Park House Hotel
Imperial Hotel Galway
Imperial Hotel Galway
#25 of 46 in Galway
Bunk Boutique Hostel Galway

Been to Brookside Hostel? Share your experiences!