The Quay House
$107
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsnapoleon roommirror roomoysterseggs benedictharbour viewthe blue roomshort walkexcellent hostsmackerela special placeeach morningfull irishyogurtperfect in every waywarm welcomepubs and restaurantshuge room
Reviewed October 25, 2006

I booked The Quay House for two nights. My daughter was with me for the first night and Julia offered to run her over to the bus the next morning after breakfast. Let me start with those breakfasts. The side board is groaning with fresh fruit, fruit compotes, fruit cake, the most fantastic yogurt I've ever had, gourmet cheeses and more. The breakfast menu is expansive and sophisticated; the food is wonderfully prepared and presented. The greenhouse breakfast room is home to many plants, lovely chandeliers, and a run-away vine that made its charming way in. Our room was very tastefully decorated and commodious. Plenty of room for the comfy chair and love seat resting on an oriental rug before the fireplace. Floor to ceiling windows and a balcony looked out to the water. Large modern bathroom with more chrome than a '55 Chevy. And a small, neat kitchen. The decor is eclectic, to say the least. I wonder if someone way back in the family was a big game hunter and fisherman, as there are many trophy heads, stuffed birds, tusks, skins, fish in shadow boxes, etc. We got used to this and truly enjoyed the many old oil paintings, prints and dozens of other well-placed collections. There are enormous gilt-edged mirrors all around. It all came together beautifully. I asked for tea and was served in one of the very comfortable parlors. Paddy made a fire and I sat for a good while in content. You can do as I did and walk the short distance into the town proper and also walk the spectacular Sky Drive. We had a wonderful time; the sporadic rain just added to the ambiance.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank dustynhappy
Reviewed October 21, 2006

We arrived into Clifden early evening...it was dark and I was tired from driving all the way from Dublin. We looked up the best accommodation in the Lonely Planet and came across this place. On arriving into town we were tired to try too hard to find this hotel and let the car lead us down the road...to a dead end...right out the front of The Quay Hotel. It was like it was meant to be! We walked in to be greeted by Barbara (Polish young lady) who was absolutely fantastic. She showed us the first room that was available and we thought we had died and gone to heaven...we were given the Blue Room ..so romantic..I had to hide my excitement! Then Barbara asked if she could book us a restaurant down town...why not!...and she booked the best meal we have had in a long long time...at Mitchell's Seafood Restaurant. This place would make a fortune in Paris! Service and food - second to none!
Returning back to the hotel, we wandered into what seemed 4 or 5 lounges...all open for you to sit and while away your time - reading papers or magazines...sipping wine....back upstairs past all the animal rugs I took a shower in a fantasy ole charm bathroom....the bed was wonderful to slip into for the night.
In the morning I couldn't wait to open the curtains to reveal the view from our waterfront windows ...
Next day it was breakfast, this morning we were welcomed by Paddy and Julia...two wonderful hosts that made you feel so welcome! I have never eaten a breakfast so fresh and homemade. Care and attention was not only taken with all the food but the breakfast room decore was unbeatable.
I have been extremely lucky to have stayed in some luxurious places in France, but this has to be my TOP STAY! We will go back to Ireland - just to stay in this hotel again and eat at Mitchell's!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Gorgeous, amazing, sophisticated, fun! Had a great stay in a great room in a truly stunning hotel. Friendly owners, good food and a nice town to be based in. My favorite hotel of the trip, really special.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Trvlfrnd
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Had an absolutely woderful stay. Excellent room and service. The owners were just about the nicest people we met in all of Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cmb224
Reviewed April 29, 2006

Paddy & Julia are very gracious, friendly hosts. The Quay House building has a wonderful, historic ambiance, with many nooks to enjoy privacy. Our room was romantic, with a private terrace to view the water, electric fireplace logs, tv, beautiful antiques..including a canopy bed...huge bath, reading materials and other comforts. The location is a short walk to eateries. The breakfast served in the beautiful conservatory made us feel like royality...without attitude. The family pet, Pug, was quiet and friendly...we sought him out to get a doggie fix. Parking is right outside the door. We were to check out with only one night, but decided we needed two nights. Very comfortable environment with beautiful appointments (hunting tropy heads made me a little uncomfortable but they did blend well with the decor). Village of Clifden is very welcoming....nice lack of smoke in pubs. Vendor (cart) serves delicious hamburgers in the town center(if you are craving a touch of the US). Julia called numerous bookstores to locate a book we were looking for as well as recommending accommodations further in our trip to friendly Ireland. I plan to book another trip to Ireland and stay mostly in Clifden and definitely at The Quay House.

• Stayed: September 2005