“A perfect getaway”
Review of The Quay House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
The Quay House
Ranked #1 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2007

Stayed in this lovely guesthouse for two nights in October. It was excellent from start to finish. The guesthouse itself is very beautiful and is furnished to a very high standard. Our room was huge with a seperate kitchen and equally huge bathroom. The owners of the guesthouse were very hospitable and gave us plenty advice about the town and where to eat. We also had a lovely view from our bedroom which also had a balcony...Would definatley stay here again...Also I would highly recommend Mitchells Restaurant...they have the nicest chocolate cake ever!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed August 31, 2007

We stayed at the Quay House for two nights and it was not long enough. This place is magical. The hosts and staff were welcoming and it seemed that nothing was too much trouble. When we arrived Julia made tea and booked us a table in Clifden for dinner that evening. Our room (studio one) was perfect. It had its own kitchen, lounge area and balcony to sit and admire the view. The bathroom was huge with seperate shower and free standing bath. Breakfasts were amazing with a choice of cooked meals and a buffet also. The interior of the guest house is fantastic with an eclectic mix of antiques and interesting items which seem to work together well. There is a small beach a short walk away and Clifden is a ten minute walk the other way. They have an adorable pug dog too if you need a doggy fix! I was sad to leave and will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Having enjoyed our stay in Oct 2006, we booked for several nights in Aug 2007. We were greeted warmly by Paddy on our arrival - he remembered us from our earlier visit - and he brought drinks to our room to help us wind down before going out for dinner.
We stayed in the Mirror room which was spacious, had a comfortable bed (I am 6ft 5 in tall) and had great views of the estuary. It was nice to have a large bathroom and separate toilet - some resealing around the bath is required.
As before, breakfasts are well above average in the lovely conservatory - though one of the eastern European serving staff could do with training in customer relations.
Paddy and Julia are excellent hosts and we look forward to staying again when we next visit Clifden.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Our only regret is that we stayed only one night.
What a great place. Not only are the owners great (the whole family helps to make you feel at home), but the rooms are comfortable, the views of the bay are amazing when the tide is in, and the breakfast was the best we had in the two weeks we were travelling in Ireland. My husband and I were travelling through Clifden on our honeymoon, and I happened to sprain my ankle while coming home from EJ Kings (great pub, by the way). The owner was helpful and supportive, and I did not worry about a thing. What could have been a terrible experience turned out to be fantastic. Can't wait to return under better circumstances for a longer stay!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Quay House while touring Western Ireland by car. I called ahead same day and was quoted a reasonable price for a one night stay. When we arrived, parking was not a problem right in front of the hotel. Upon entering, it was something like a museum, very eclectic with tons of mounted animals and horns, artwork, antiques, ect. We loved it! We stayed in the "Bird Room" and thought it was one of the nicest rooms we stayed at in Ireland. Very spacious and the balcony was just big enough to put to chairs out and enjoy the harbor in the evening. It was gorgeous. Although we were glad to see the Harbor fill in with the tide, as we drove in mid-afternoon and were taken aback by the low tide brown dried up harbor. After a short nap, it was full- much better! It is a great place to relax and enjoy Clifden.

Julia and Patrick were very nice and accomodating. They run a very clean, unique B&B that is well worth a stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2007

If you're staying in Clifden, I can't imagine that you'll do better than this in a B & B. The rooms are spacious, the place has character, it's located a little bit away from the fray, and the people are awesome. Easily the best B & B we stayed at in Ireland, and I don't say that lightly. It costs a little more, but totally worth it!

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We made a return visit to the Quay House for two nights over the second weekend in June and we were welcomed back like old friends, even though we had sdtayed for only one night the year before. Our stay on this occasion was made all the more wonderful by the fantastic weather - yes, the sun can shine in Connaught. We arrived at the Quay House late in the evening, at about 10pm after a long drive from Dublin. Strangely enough, and by pure chance, we were given studio 6 again. This is a delightful studio on the top floor with stunning views over the little harbour and the countryside beyond from the small balcony. The room has walls covered in light wooden panels with pictures and the odd stuffed bird. Trust me it works, the entire B&B is an amazing mix of styles and this room just reflects the eclectic feel and ambience of the whole place. But back to the room. Large bed, comfortably small sofa and chairs, large bathroom and a little kitchen. Trust me, next time I go back, and I will, I could well ask for the same room again. I should add that I had asked Julia if she could arrange for wine and a rose to be waiting in the room and of course they were there. What else should I say? The breakfasts are amazing, firstly they are served in a delightful, bright conservatory with lots of plants around. Secondly the staff are friendly, professional and chatty. Then there is the food itself. I could go into raptures about the fresh and poached fruits, the peaches are amazing, plus the yoghurts and cheese. I could talk about the jug of freshly squeezed orange juice waiting for you on the table, or the copious amounts of fresh coffee. I also should mention the slices of seeded wheaten bread. But best of all is the selection of mains that you are offered. Of course there is the ubiquitos irish fry (not as good as an ulster fry, but there again I am biaised), there was eggs benedict, smoked salmon with scrambled egg, kedgeree and also haddock served again with scrambled eggs. If there was something that you wanted changed then this was absolutly no problem, so my guest enjoyed an eggs benedict with smoked salmon rather than the usual ham. I could wax lyrical about The Quay House all evening, however if you are someone who is looking for somewhere that has amazingly friendy, can't do enough for you hosts, that has superbly comfortable rooms and has breakfasts to die for, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Steve C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ben View House
Ben View House
#2 of 45 in Clifden

Been to The Quay House? Share your experiences!