“Top Marks”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
“Top Marks”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My Wife and I stayed here through a 2 night Groupon deal that included Breakfast and Evening Meal.

Positives
Staff - Excellent
Leisure Facilities - Excellent
Location - Excellent
Evening Meal - Sublime
Breakfast - great variety
Rooms - Spacious and Functional

Not so Good
Breakfast - Cold (as were plates)
Bath - Small and Plug wouldn't stay in.
Wifi- Free Only in Public Areas

Really enjoyed our Stay, The Area is absolutely stunning and the Locals are uber friendly

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Finlay C
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Fincarrick,

My sincere thanks and appreciation to you, for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Clifden station house hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

We are in the process of finalizing WIFI in all bedrooms in the Hotel and have made changes to the plate warmer in the dining room. Thank you for your honest feedback .

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel sometime soon.

Kindest Regards,
Ronan Fahy,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Lee-Anne133
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was a Christmas present for my Fiance and we couldn't wait to use the offer. We got a great deal for 2 nights B&B and an evening meal for one night.

We got there on Friday evening at approx. 7:30pm and checked in. From the minute we walked into the hotel until the moment we left (even after we left the front doors the manager Ronan took the time to chat to us and offer us another night in the hotel for a bit more money) we were treated like valued guests.

The rooms are decked out with all the amenities that you will need for your stay including shower gel, lotion and shampoo and conditioner as well as soap and a shower cap or two. All these things are usually part of the hotel bathroom decking but I was very pleasantly surprised to find two facecloths, something in my opinion, hotels fall short of providing. In all my years staying in hotels in Ireland, not once have I found one that provided facecloths. Such a small thing but to me this was saying that "we have listened to our guests and what they have asked for".

On each pillow was a bite sized Crunchie chocolate with a little guest card that read "Thank Crunchie its Friday". This made us chuckle and relax after a nearly 5 hour drive to get to Clifden.

From the décor to the staff to the Signal bar and things to do in town we were disappointed and even though the weather wasn't summery (March) we found a long drive around the Sky Road and also a long walk along the Beach Road.

The locals and staff alike were some of the friendliest people that are around. The staff in the hotel were all courteous and friendly and you didn't feel that they were in your face or on the other end of the scale to far from you to notice if you needed something.

The hotel also boasts self catering apartments which looked big and there is a horse paddock out the back of the hotel. Although the horses were being walked around from quite early on the Saturday morning, this didn't bother or interrupt our sleep.

The breakfast was to die for. A full on selection of breakfast was available from cereal such as coco pops and fresh juices to mini croissants, danishes and pecan pastries, and fresh smoked salmon with lemon slices and capers and of course not forgetting the full Irish breakfast consisting of sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs (both scrambled and fried), pudding (black and white) and a selection of yoghurts and fresh fruits. The breakfast and other menus in the Clifden Station House Hotel really caters for all patrons.

The Signal bar is only across the road (literally a 10 second walk) so this doesn't disrupt the hotel guests at night. The atmosphere in the bar was quiet yet friendly, you got the feeling that the locals weren't eyeing you up and just accepted newcomers there. The menu was extensive and I might add that the seafood chowder was to die for.

The pints were fresh and the service was great!! I couldn't quite believe it when the staff had thought to reserve the tables knowing that we would be coming to eat. Talk about really thinking outside the box. They had the tables set for dinner and reserved so that people just drinking without eating wouldn't sit in the seats leaving guests to fend for themselves and not enjoy the evening meal.

I cant think of anything bad to say about this hotel, from the bottom floor, décor in the lobby and reception to the rooms and food and service were outstanding. I see now after checking other reviews that a few years ago some people had bad experiences but I am delighted that the hotel owners and their staff obviously take their work very seriously and have improved things that might have been bad for previous guests in the hotel.

I cannot wait to go back there again and was so depressed coming home this evening.

Thank you Ronan, Susan, Sharon and other staff who we didn't get to personally meet but let me thank you for making our little getaway one we are not going to forget in a hurry and cant wait to come back again for another stay.

Room Tip: Best room in my opinion would be at either end of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lee-Anne133
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hi Lee-Anne

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to serve and look after you during your weekend break. I personally look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Had one of the best little breaks ever,great staff and great accommodation in a beautiful place,food was fantastic ,everybody was so welcoming in the hotel especially the manager Ronan, he was so professional and very proud of this hotel,it was clearly a very well run hotel,can't wait to go back there

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diver844587
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review for the Clifden Station House hotel.

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us. Our core values are customer care and trying to make every guest feel welcome, its good to see we accomplished this during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another enjoyable stay with us.

Warm regards,

Waterville, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We arrived as a tired group of golfers and left thoroughly refreshed , excellent facilities and very friendly and helpful staff who really know how to make you feel welcome. A slight hitch with our reservation (our fault I might add) was sorted quickly with good humour. A receptionist called Aine proved to be a treasure trove of local information.
Lovely stay
Will return

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Rob O
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Hi Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us in the Clifden Station House Hotel

It was a pleasure to read such a positive review. I am so pleased that you felt a warm welcome from the team on your arrival and throughout your stay. Thank you for your comments, I will be sure to share them with Aine and the rest of the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.

Kindest Regards,

General Manager.
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Have just returned from at terrific weekend at the Station House . The staff could not have been more charming and friendly .The room was spotless and the food excellent .I would definitely stay again JT

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank JackieDublin
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your kind words, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Our daughter treated us to a break in Clifden.We stayed in The Station House Hotel.We would highly recommed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very comfortable .The food is amazing can't praise it enough especially if you like seafood but they cater for all tastes.
Noeleen & Michael Baneham..

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Noeleen B
Hi Noeleen & Michael,

On behalf of the team here it was a pleasure to look after you, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Basic rooms but done the job. The staff in reception and the dining room extremely friendly and helpful they couldn't do enough for us. A special mention for Lana & Kathleen in the dining room who looked after us so well for dinner and again for breakfast thank you for helping with all my dietary requirements!! The food and atmosphere in this hotel is one of the best I have experienced with fab music in the lobby. I will definatley be returning very soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over bar as road side can be a little noisey
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Rose J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!