“Great place to stay”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very friendly rooms are clean service is very good staff are very friendly and helpfull would stay there again kylemore abbey is a must see great place to eat is the station house bar entertainment in the bar is very good would highly recommend a stay

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Amyemmaorla

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We have just returned from two nights at this hotel on a groupon deal and I cant say enough good things about it. There were 5 of us - my husband and our 4 yr old son and my parents.

The first thing I need to comment on is the staff. From the friendliness of Aine on reception when we checked in to every other member of staff we had the pleasure of dealing with over the whole weekend. All very professional but with a friendly attitude - lacking in a lot of hotels unfortunately these days but definitely not here!

We ate in the Station House Bar on the Fri. night and the food was very good. Great choice and very good quality. Buffet breakfast both mornings was very good - a bit busy but we were only waiting a few minutes to be seated and we sat in the foyer where there was juice/pastries whilst we waited. The selection was great especially the pancakes where were made to order - a particular favourite of my sons. Everything was replenished as soon as it got low so no waiting around.
We used the pool twice and the it was nice and clean. Again the staff very good.
Rooms are a good size with a double and a single bed. Very comfortable beds.
On site there is a Theatre/Cinema which was showing the Lego Movie at the weekend so this was an added bonus considering the weather was so bad. They also run kids activities all day which includes swimming, DVD, kids dining etc.
When we returned to Dublin on the Sun. eve. I realised I had left some items in the wardrobe so I called the hotel. The lady from housekeeping (Im really sorry I didnt get her name) called me back and said they had them and would post them on to me. I received them two days later. Not many hotels would have this type of service and this hotel really should be praised for it.
This was our 5th time to the hotel over the years and it most certainly will not be our last.
Another nice touch was on Sat. a bowl of fruit was brought to our room to thank us for coming to stay again.
The hotel is the perfect base for visiting the Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey and is only an hour from Galway City. Lots of good places to eat in Clifden which is a two minute walk away.
Well worth a visit (or five!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Station House as it is a nicer view than the road.
1  Thank Eileen-Mark
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had a lovely short stay while visiting relatives . The interconnecting rooms are always a bonus being a family of five. They were very clean with everything you require, even mentioning in the literature anything forgotten eg. toothbrush, could be got at reception, a nice touch. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The food in the restaurant was exceptional. The buffet breakfast had everything anyone could wish for even the pickiest eaters- my son! A big thank you to everyone.

1  Thank palnoch
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The staff was very good from the time we checked-in until we left. The food was very good too. Both the restaurant and the pub served good food. We found the pub's menu better for kids (e.g. Chicken goujons vs chicken nuggets).
We stayed during the midterm break. The hotel was very noisy and the beds were not the most comfortable. The biggest problems we had were at breakfast time. The restaurant is too small for the amount of hotel & apartments residents. Every morning, we had to queue for an average of 15 minutes to get a table (the staff was handling it very well). Once in the restaurant, it was so busy that you could queue again for a few minutes to reach the buffet. 25 minutes to get 2 pancakes on the first day!
We didn't like the pool. The water was cold. The changing rooms are too small. There was no soap to wash your hands or shower gel in the ladies during our stay.
The parking is also too small.

1  Thank SHD_Clare1
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed this weekend at station house and had a very nice stay. The leisure centre is lovely. The station house bar is really comfortable and cosy with fabulous food, and I have to compliment the kids menu, was lovely for my kids to get real cod when they ordered fish and chips, was delicious. The only downside for us was clifden itself, everything was either closed down or shut until March so was absolutely nothing to look at in the town which was disappointing.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank colleenmae
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for two nights with a groupon voucher. I had read previous reviews here, the majority of which were very positive so I was really looking forward to the break. We checked in and we were allocated a room on the first floor. It was fine, nothing at all special and in major need of a make-over. The back of the bathroom door had a hole where a coat hanging used to be, the door itself needed to be painted, the taps on the bath were missing their tops which looked very dirty and there was a stain on the bath. The rads in the room were marked, again nothing a lick of paint wouldn't sort out. The room and bathroom were clean and the shower was very good. There were holes in the walls at the end of the stairs en route to reception.It is a shame because simple things like these really make a hotel look shabby, less appealing and take away from the overall appearance of the venue. We ate in the bar across from the hotel on both nice and the food and service was top notch. Breakfast was delicious too. Overall I was genuinely disappointed with our stay. Nobody asked us at any point if we enjoyed it or otherwise. Another downfall was the noise in the rooms, you could hear everything from adjacent rooms and from the corridor. I have subsequently heard that people should request rooms on the fourth floor as they are more modern but I don't know as I didn't see any of them.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank una k
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the hotel over Valentines weekend, we ate in the restaurant that night and the food was beautiful, lot of choice and everything cooked to perfection. We had lunch in the bar, and dinner there the following day and both times food very good, the staff is what make this hotel in my opinion, they are so friendly, a great welcome and nothing seemed too much trouble. They are an asset to the hotel and the company in general. Prices were very fair and place very comfortable. Only negative I had was the restaurant was quite chilly, some patrons had their coats on during the evening but apart from that small thing I would recommend to anyone and would visit again.

Room Tip: Our room looked onto a fire station but we weren't there for a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Click-Ex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!