“Would book again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
“Would book again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We will definitely book this hotel again. We booked a week in a 3-bedroom apartment which, while not the most modern, was clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly, helpful and really quick to respond - I reported a beeping smoke detector and it was fixed immediately. The location of the hotel is excellent. The pool is large, clean and well supervised. The Station Bar had great food at a reasonable price. My only (minor) comment is that the apartment could benefit from a bit more equipment for cooking for a family (e.g. oven dishes and a sharp knife) and a couple of shelves in the hotpress to dry wet swimming gear, towels and wetsuits. There were 5 of us, and that's a lot of gear! This was our first visit to Clifden and I would highly recommend it - so much to see and do and the kids had a great time. Didn't get to try the Kids Club as the weather was uncharacterstically good, so we made the most of it. There are loads of great eating places, sightseeing, stunning beaches and plenty of lake fishing. We couldn't fit everything in over the week so see you next year!

1 Thank Jacqueline M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

this is a fabulous hotel for families with young children . we have been here 4 x in past couple of years 2x each year for a mini break, It is so relaxing for the whole family , short stroll into the centre of Clifden for a bit of shopping for the Mum , (or a pint for Dad !) the Kids club keeps the kids entertained for practically the whole day ..in fact the first time we went both myself and wife were almost getting withdrawal symptoms as we didint know what to do without them ! . they even took them at evening time for dinner . this left us to have a relaxing apperatif in the beautiful old Railway Station Bar before having a quiet meal together in the restaurant (lovely food is seved informally in the Station Bar as well) The staff are so much geared up for kids and even knew the names of the boys when they came back ..(dont know if thats a good thing form the hotel or a bad thing about my kids !! :) ) There is a theatre onsite as well which doubles up as a cinema and one night we went to see a film . the Pool is very clean and well maintained and the Family room accommodation sufficient with a double bed , single bed and campbed .
Sadly we havent been for the past year but our children always ask when are we going to the 'Galway ' Hotel (even though its a good hours drive from Galway)
Maybe later thi year we might get up again , But I for one would certainly recommend this Hotel for its friendly service, Excellent Food , Reasonable price , Cleanliness and All round excellence.

Room Tip: Check to see if the Kids club is on during Holiday time and have an extra bit of time for yourselves...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisR67
Ballerup, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed two nights early July with my adult daughter. The room (twin) was very nice and pretty large. The pool was a pleasant surprise - larger than the "normal" hotel swimming pool.
The hotel is within an easy walk from the city center where a good number of restaurants can be found.

The only slighter minus was breakfast - the coffee was NOT good.

1 Thank 60yarsofage
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Had a wonderful time staying here with the family, the room was perfect as it took all 5 of us. As for the staff. The middle aged lady was fantastic with helping us decide on places suitable to visit especially with the children. Both the waiters and waitresses in the main Hotel and in the Bar were very accommodating. Was a wonderful family holiday

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maeve d
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Reserved a Station House Self-Catering apartment. The following conditions welcomed me: 1) the electronic door lock had to be repaired while I waited in the bar. Why didn't reception know that the lock was out of order? 2)The apartment had no telephone, which is advertised in the Website, and, after I trapsed to the Reception Dest to ask for one, a member of the housekeeping staff came to the apartment to tell me that the line was out of order -- a telephone was not possible. Why didn't reception know this? After a visit by the manager of the self-catering units, I was moved to another unit (already having moved my things into unit #1). 4) There the telephone was located a few feet from the entrance, not in the bedroom where one would want it for safety. 5) There was no hot water in unit #2 -- another visit from the manager who had to call in an electrician to tinker with the settings. 6) After I unpacked, I realized that my $500 camera (with 5 days of photos on the memory card) was missing. I searched both apartment units, even though I had not unpacked in unit #1, as well as every hole and crevice in my car. I visited the bar just in case I had left it there while waiting for the door lock to be repaired. In my travels I never left the camera in the car and I never left the car unlocked; yet I had to assume that, in all of the moving from apartment to pub to a second apartment and the going back and forth to the reception desk, I had broken both rules and that it had been stolen from the car. 7) There was no keyboard in the apartment, which is required for the advertised Internet access through the television set; upon yet another trip to the reception desk, I was told that there was not one available to give me -- no apology, no "I'll see what I can do," etc. 8) Supposedly equipped for self-catering, the kitchen in the apartment contained not a single knife sharp enough to peel a piece of fruit, no colander (food drainer), no cereal bowls (only some tiny dessert bowls).

I decided not to stay beyond a second night at the apartment; and, when I left, I reported the camera loss to the hotel manager who assured me that he would immediately ask staff to search every inch of both units and would telephone me within 24 hours; 9) I never heard from him.
SIX DAYS after this assurance, however, and after I had bought another camera, I received an e-mail from a receptionist saying that, when they had cleaned unit # 1, housekeeping had found the camera IN THE DISHWASHER! I had been in that unit for less than 45 minutes, without unpacking and certainly notopening the dishwasher. Therefore, how did it get there? And for what purpose? I suppose I'll never know.

Room Tip: If other self-catering apartment units have as many unworking parts and missing amenities, I suggest...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SamanthaOhio
Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Had a super weekend in Clifden (well - Friday and Saturday) Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating, hotel was comfortable and food was excellent - especially the fish!! Weather was a bit off while we were there but plenty to do in area all the same. Particluarly liked 'Barry' playing piano in the lobby last night (Saturday) - excellent. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Stay on courtyard side - a little quieter!!
1 Thank MaireadBrennan2012
Eire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Lovely hotel in a great location with a really nice breakfast and good food in the station house bar.

Staff were always friendly and welcoming.

Improvements could be made to the bathrooms which while clean and modern lack the style of some other hotels. I stayed in several rooms here while on business and all were three bed (single and double), some of the rooms I felt could have been left with a double bed alone thereby making room for a bigger bathroom with a stand alone shower.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 405. Room is next to what must be the heating system for the hotel therefore the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Culainn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Clifden
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!