“The only thing they overlook there is the scenic village of Clifden”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We have been going to Abbeyglen Castle for 20 years now and each trip is as memorable and enjoyable as the last one. The warm welcome extended by Mr Hughes senior and junior is second to none. The staff are wonderful and nothing is trouble to them, I have to make a special comment here about the lovely lady who normally looks after us in room 25....Anne , each visit we really look forward to meeting her, and her efficiency and quiet demeanour is always a joy to encounter.The food is excellent and the old world appeal appears to keep drawing back repeat visits ( we spoke to another couple this trip who have also been visiting Abbeyglen Castle for the past 20 years.)The off season special offers are wonderful value, but this is well worth while to visit in high season also. We always enjoy our chats with Frieda while having our aperitif in the bar in the evenings, but unfortunately the Connemara air enforces us to retire early and we miss out on the wonderful sing songs in the bar after dinner. God willing we plan to continue to make our annual pligramage to Abbeylen for the long forseeable future.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2009

Enjoyed a wonderful midweek break.Lovely spacious bright room.The food was delicious,great service from the staff and the craic in the bar at nights was great.The Yon Ka relaxation and treatment rooms are five star, lovely attentive staff .Can highly recommend the hot stone therapy massage,the benefits last for several days.The Abbeyglen is a family run hotel ,quirky and friendly ,there aren't many places like it ,visit it while you can!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We were there at the end of Sept/begining of Oct and stayed for 5 nights. We have been lucky enough to stay at the Abbeyglen several times before in a suite and in one of the "tower" rooms (the latter being my favourite). We normally travel in the spring or autumn taking advantage of a 3 or 5 night special which includes dinner. The location is lovely, the staff are great, the food is lovely, there are 4 poster beds and the craic in the bar after dinner is great (and I'm not usually into sing-songs). The only constructive criticism I would have is I'd like to see the bed linen upgraded to quilts (like a lot of other hotels have) and perhaps upgrading the TVs. A very relaxing hotel that we'll definitely be going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Thumbstick101
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Just spent 3 nights in the Abbeyglen Castle.
Very comfortable overall with excellent staff.
No complaints and I will certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Celticjo58
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We had a great time in Abbey 'not quite the castle' Glen. the Hosts were great and the staff were all very nice & a good mix of Irish and Foreign staff. Dinner was fantastic and we were treated so well especially as it was our mum's 70th. I have to mention the Bar, Great Great Fun and singing all through the night. Me and my sister won a gold medal for Dancing on the saturday night when partying with the Galway Hen's
Any way its different and not your typical hotel experience these days and thank God for it!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pajfox
Reviewed October 7, 2009

9 of my girl-friends recently surprised me with a weekend in the Abbeyglen - in preparation for my upcoming wedding! I did not know where I was going or indeed who was coming until I arrived in the hotel. My 2 friends who arraged everything (thanks valerie and Noreen!) told me how helpful the porter and reception staff were in all their preparatory dealings with them.
Before dinner, we had a problem with our camera but the owner Brian Hughes took a photo with his camera, arrived into the restaurant during our (wonderful) dinner and handed us 9 perfect copies of our group photo and a larger copy for me. Now that's service! It is over 15 years since I last stayed in the Abbeyglen and am delighted to have had the opportunity to go back and experience such wonderful hospitality and fun there again. Great food, sing-song in bar, turf fires. etc Thanks everyone!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Botanicview
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Went with my wife for a mid week Break (we are in the restaurant Business so weekends are a no no !)After a long drive from Belfast we were greeted like Royalty by
"Sir Paul Hughes" the Proprieter and shown to our room which had stunning views of connemara.We ate in the hotel on the first night intending to go into clifton the second night but the food , service(and wine!) was that good we ate the following night as well.The next day Olivia went to the spa for a stone massage wich she thourghly enjoyed,whilst I had a lovely Cork Gin and tonic sitting out admiring the setting .thank you to all the staff well done

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Alcock & Brown Hotel
Alcock & Brown Hotel
#6 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!