“An unforgettable visit”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Built in 1832 the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel is situated on the scenic Sky Road in Connemara less than a five minute walk to the town of Clifden. It is perfectly situated as a great base to explore Connemara and take a trip into Galway city.

The grounds of the castle are lovely and have tennis courts, fountains, a lovely patio area with tables and chairs, walking trails, a mini golf / pitch and put course as well as a helipad, should you decided to leave the car and take the chopper. The castle is ivy clad with big wooden doors, everything you would expect from a castle.

Inside is full of charm and authentic touches, dark wooden panelling, elaborate art-work on the walls, lush plush decorative carpets, thrones, dark leather armchairs and sofas as well as huge chandeliers and real turf burning fires throughout the public areas.

As you enter the castle you are greeted with one of these real fires and by Gilbert, an African Grey parrot that hangs out by the reception area and chats to guests and whistles at the ladies. He is a very charming parrot, almost as charming as all the staff who are so welcoming, helpful and funny, full of Irish wit and humour. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they will be the highlight of your stay.

Downstairs is the lobby area with fires and sofas, the library with books, games, more fires and comfy sofas and the bar which also has a turf burning fire, lots of cosy seats and tables and a grand piano smack bang in the middle. There is also another room with a big screen tv, pool table, card table and another piano. This room is a good size and great for functions and watching sporting events with guests. There is also a wall of fame which is adorned with framed photos of the many famous people who have stayed in the castle throughout the years.

There are triple bedrooms with a double / twin bed and a single bed on the first floor. The second floor is where you will find a conference room with computers and large desk and the fabulous restaurant where buffet breakfast and dinner is served. There is also a very cool smoking area with big screen tv, outdoor heaters, and a fish tank! You will find lots of these quirky things throughout the hotel.

I stayed in two rooms on the second floor, one with two single beds pushed together to make a double bed and one with a full sized double bed, although it may have been a king sized bed it was so big but I am not too sure. The rooms at the back face out on to some secluded greenery area and the rooms at the front look out over a stream and offer views of Clifden.

There are many different types of room on offer including ones with canopy four poster beds, ones with a separate living are, rooms are available in the turret of the castle, loads have claw foot baths, and one has a double jacuzzi. I had the pleasure of been shown around each type of room and I can say that they are all striking and inviting and look fabulous.

The rooms I stayed in had the following: double / twin beds with lots of pillows and lovely crisp sheets, extra bedding in the wardrobes. They had two beautiful antique chairs and table as well as two bedside tables with a lamp on each one. Each room have a big screen tv and dvd player, kettle, teapot and tea and coffee and milk and sugar. There was a huge desk with mirror and chair great for writing and setting up a laptop. There was a great hairdryer in the desk and there was an iron, ironing board, trouser press as well as a safe and a big wardrobe with plenty of hangers and shelves. There was also two full length mirrors in each of the rooms I stayed in. They offer a laundry service too and the bags are in the room. There was a nice long bath, although not very wide, and a good shower above the bath. The sinks were nice and big and there was a huge mirrored wall with shelf space for all your cosmetics. Shaving plugs are also on the wall as well as a magnifying mirror. There were lots of towels and a shower cap, soap, shower gel, shampoo and drinking glasses.

There were lots of lights in the room and a lot of natural light due to the big windows, however the curtains were big and heavy enough to block out all the light and making the room nice and dark at night time. The rooms where I was were very quiet and I only heard other guests going in and out of their rooms in the morning, but I am a light sleeper so I usually hear this in hotels. The beds in the rooms I was in were a little on the hard side but as I have a bad back this was perfect for me.

I found my room and especially bathroom to be very clean and my room was cleaned every day of my stay. The whole hotel was very clean if a little shabby but shabby in a very chic kind of way, this is a castle that is nearly 200 years old. However many of the rooms have just been refurbished including new showers and carpets and whilst I was there more working was being carried out on the carpets in the public areas.

The dining room is grand and beautiful with lots of big windows and chandeliers. The food in Abbeyglen is very good indeed with lots of fresh local produce used and a very good wine list too. They always have a veggie option too and will cater for any dietary requirements. There is an extensive dessert buffet featuring all manner of fresh homemade roulades, tarts, puddings, cakes and hot desserts as well as ice-cream, crackers and cheeses. You will not go hungry whilst here. The breakfast buffet is the most extensive I have ever seen covering everything from eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding, creamy porridge, smoked salmon, fresh fruit salad, homemade brown bread, cereals, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes, yoghurts, honey, jams, fresh juices and good filter coffee and pots of tea.

During dinner time there is a pianist playing on yet another one of the castles pianos and provides a wonderful accompaniment to the whole dining experience. When dinner is over the pianist then moves downstairs to the bar where he will play into the night as guests get up and sing and dance or just sit back and listen to the musician's talent. This was one of my favourite parts of my stay, sitting at the bar and enjoying the traditional Irish welcome and craic, and I was travelling by myself but never felt alone with all the friendly staff and guests around.

Every day at 4pm there are fresh scones and tea served to all guests in the bar by the fire and then a champagne reception at 6.30pm with canapes of smoked salmon and cheese on crackers followed by a welcome talk by the ever charming hotel owner Brian, who tells a little about the history of the castle, the local activities and walks and a few jokes thrown in for good measure.

All in all, this was a fabulous experience and not just a stay in a hotel. My whole stay was very memorable and wonderful and I cannot wait to go back up and do it all again. I would highly recommend Abbeyglen Castle.

Furthermore, there is a huge hot tub and a sauna as well as beautiful relaxing and pampering treatment rooms offering loads of beauty, body and holistic treatments using top of the range Elemis products. They also do HD brows and make-up, as well as massage and other treatments.

Room Tip: Room 23 looked out over the stream and was nice and quiet on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank mrsplaying_dead
Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I got an invitation from Paul the owner to stop by for a dinner at his hotel while he was visiting place that I work. Never knew the man but it was so kind of him. I've decided to go for it and travelled 50 miles next day from Galway to Clifden to have our Anniversary dinner in Abbeyglen Castle. Paul informed me that they have been waiting for us...stylish Restaurant had a great vibe of medieval times With oldschool interior and great piano player. It was very busy, restaurant full but Paul still got a chance to talk to me and my wife. Paople staying in the hotel were so nice, all like one big family, in general I have to say that we felt like a part of this family from the first minute. Wonderful staff served us with really good food. Goats cheese was delicious and duck was unreal! We enjoyed singing happy birthday to 2 celebrating ladies as Paul banging at the glass announce that all restaurant should sing while he was bringing the cake. Than unexpectedly he did the same to us!!! What a surprise on our Anniversary, all people were singing for us... That made our evening. Brian - manager and at the same time entertainer grear piano player played in downstairs bar whole evening and made people laugh with his great jokes. Barman was a great craic, joker ;) I have to say that we have never felt this way - like at home but far from home with fantastic staff around and stunning surroundings of Conemara. Rooms are dated but that is an addition to this Manor house so you can feel real Irish oldschool hospitality. Realy great stay. Thank you to all the staff and owners for making our night special. We will be back definitely!

1  Thank Luke D
Reviewed March 22, 2014

In December my husband and I spent our honeymoon adventuring around Ireland. We were lucky enough to spend two nights at this wonderful castle. Abbeyglen has the authentic Irish charm we were so hoping to experience on our trip. The staff was warm and very friendly. I would highly recommend attending the free pre-dinner drink social hour. Brian does a great job explaining the history of the castle and Clifden. Our room was huge with beautiful views. The food at the restaurant was amazing (definitely worth the price) and the live entertainment makes a great ambiance. Brian and his dad made us feel so special, like we were lifelong friends. They gave us free drinks, had the whole restaurant toasting to our marriage, and gave us a free bottle of champagne. The grounds were beautiful too. I would highly recommend staying at this castle to anyone traveling in Ireland. We are so glad we were able to spend part of our honeymoon here!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My partner and I were very much looking forward to our stay at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel having viewed their website.Our anticipation was only heightened by the stunning scenery which beckoned us towards Clifden.Unfortunately the big build up was followed by disappointment.The hotel probably picks up brownie points for having tennis courts,a spa,helipad and serving afternoon tea & scones but surely the most important part of any hotel stay is the room you sleep in?Unlike the pristene room pictured on the website,ours was outdated,drab & dirty.The decor appeared to date from a very dull part of the 1970's, with a large black stain in one corner of the wallpaper and dust on fittings.It's obvious that some areas of the hotel have had money spent on them in recent years but even more apparent that others are in dire need of updating.In particular,the bar and parts of the grounds are shabby.Other than the gentleman who greeted us in the carpark and the lady who served the scones in the bar,we found the staff to be,at best,surly.

On the plus side,the breakfast was plentiful and tasty.I cannot comment on the Dinner Menu because the choice on the menu was limited & the prices exhorbitant.Much like the prices they listed for anyone unfortunate enough to need to purchase toothpaste,deodorant or feminine hygiene products. As an Irishman it disappoints me that so many overseas visitors will visit this hotel because it is situated in the midst of such beauty and get ripped off.We can and should provide better.That this is officially a Four Star establishment makes a mockery of the grading system.

Room Tip: Choose from one of the nicer B&B's in the area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank zaxbak
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I spent the first two nights of our 35th anniversary trip (we are from the U.S.A) at this wonderful property. The room (2nd floor in the back) was fabulous.....large room with a canapoy bed and a fireplace. The long windows overlooked a small stream, so we didn't have much of a view, but we had total privacy. The bathroom was very large and completely updated. We had dinner both nights on site and enjoyed the food and the piano player Brian as well. They put flags on the tables depending on which country you are from...a very nice touch. The host was full of stories about the property as well as the history of Ireland. We would definetely go back!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a visit to Ireland in March 2014. We had a large room and found it to be comfortable. We enjoyed the champagne toast as it gave the opportunity to meet some of the other people staying in the hotel. Our favorite part of the stay was after dinner in the bar. Aodan entertained on the piano and sang songs and a lot of the guests joined in as well. Aodan also gave terrific ideas on what to see in the area and we were able to enjoy some things we otherwise wouldn't have seen without his recommendations. A big thank you to him!

My husband also was very entertained by the African Grey parrot, Gilbert...

2  Thank WhitRPh
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for just one night ( booked out early ) we missed our cup of tea and a scone by arriving 20 minutes too late. After this greeting the lady at the desk issued us with a key to our room. You have no need to worry about losing the key as it comes attached to a dainty little key ring the size of a dinner plate.
So after driving for 4 hours and unable to devour our scone we visited the bar. Unable to buy any food at the bar ( including nuts or crisps ) we sat and stared at the wonky pictures and light fittings and thought what kind of 4 star hotel does not accommodate their guests with food when they wish to eat.
After our drink we retired to our room to dress for dinner, by this time I had eaten 2 guests but was still feeling a little hungry. In our room the fittings were very old. Not antique just old, enamel worn off the bath, toilet Handel broken, water yellow!
The meal was very good but 28.00 for a bottle of house red is a little over priced.
The entertainment was ok and the guests seemed to enjoy it for myself and my wife it was interesting but a million miles off a 4 star hotel.

5  Thank Scottytoohottie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leenane
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!