“Great and friendly service.”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a four-star hotel with a seven-star heart. Friendly and warm service. Good value too, especially after coming from London. The surrounding area is beautiful. Yes, in-room coffee and tea maker would have been nice and yes, some rooms are in need of a face lift at least, but I would come back for another stay. The Hughes father and son team interacting with the guests were charming, I thought.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We travelled Ireland for 7 days and stayed in 6 different hotels. This was the most expensive because we wanted one night in a castle. The owner and staff are very friendly, the grounds are very nice overlooking the town, they have a tennis court, three pitch and putt golf holes and 2 heli-pads with a customs office. Our room was on the ground floor looking out at a rock wall on both sides. There were no sheers so heavy drapes had to be drawn for privacy making for a dark room. The room was large with a queen four poster bed and a working gas fireplace. The TV was 20 years old and there was no wifi in the room. No tea/coffee service in the room. Large bathroom with separate tub and small 3X3 foot shower. Room 42 is fully equipped for handicapped. Dinner was a 2.5/5. Good fish chowder and the worst Irish stew that I have ever had. Breakfast was much better with a full hot/cold buffet available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel as the rooms at the rear face a rock wall or a hill.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the moment you arrive at this breathtaking hotel, you are swept away with the beauty and feel of yesteryear.. Upon approaching reception, you are made to feel very warmly welcomed with personalised concierge and friendly staff. The hands on approach from Brian was what was truly remarkable. He would introduce himself, find out a little about you and remember, for evening meal times when he would place nationality flags upon your table during service.. The rooms were immaculately appointed, the champagne and canapés service were a delight, generous complimentary afternoon tea, the grounds are beautifully kept with golf course and tennis court, a few minutes stroll would get you to the beautiful town of Clifden. Evening entertainment during dinner and followed by in the bar afterward was lovely. Breakfast and Dinner service were a whole other treat in themselves. Nothing has been overlooked and we would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone, thankyou Brian, John and Staff for making our stay so pleasant and memorable, we'll most certainly be back next time we're over! Thankyou Donna and Malachy Woods, Australia

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I must confess that I expected Abbeyglen to be more like Butler House in Kilkenny. However, Kilkenny is frequented by hoardes of international travelers; Clifden is more laid back. I put off reviewing Abbeyglen because I wanted to be fair. However, three weeks out, I still believe this place could be improved greatly even with a few inexpensive changes.

First, though, the young staff could not have been more welcoming or enthusiastic. They were perfect.

However, the room was average. The mattress was average, the linens were clean but dingy and worn. I felt sorry for the staff that had to make do with washing, ironing, and changing them everyday, knowing they were clean but that they didn't look their best. I found it odd that there was a sort of press for a suit (Who's wearing a suit here? Maybe lots of people book dinner parties and weddings here.) but no room for in-room coffee or tea. We started our days by 7AM to see as much as possible since we've come so far, and coffee or tea would have been nice. We were going to have dinner here, but found that there were only two items from which to choose, so we opted for a restaurant.
After dinner, we were tired from our day, so I took a shower, which was cramped as I tried to shave my legs and I am not a huge person (5'6" 135lbs) . Now, I understand the Irish version of cramped is different from the American version. However, it is billed as a luxury hotel. Also, I had to flush the toilet five times for only a small tinkle and five squares of toilet paper. I told the men to wait for "big things" until we got back to Dublin the following night. These are all things I expected and got from average B&Bs all over southern Ireland and wasn't disappointed because they were not billed as luxury accommodations.

I understand that Clifden is more remote than Dublin, Kenmare, or Kilkenny, but the website says it's a "Luxury Hotel." Adequate, yes; luxury, no.

Room Tip: Don't expect luxury and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed there for one night in August of 2013 and wished we had booked it for a longer stay. We had a very large room with a fireplace, separate standalone old bath tub and lovely period furniture. We arrived around 5:30pm and were assisted to our lovely room and invited down for complimentary champagne in the bar at 6:30. A member of the owning family told us about the history of the hotel, things to see and do in the area, and provided a real welcoming during the champagne hour that set the mood for the visit. We ate there that night and found the food to be quite good and the dessert bar to be fabulous! Breakfast in the morning was a typical Irish breakfast and was good but not outstanding.We found Clifden to be an interesting town and the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel to be an excellent place to stay.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

we were greeted with champagne and things got better! there was more free champagne at 6:30 followed by a tasty, well presented dinner. there was lively piano playing and singing after dinner that was well attended...not an empty seat in the bar..and enthusiastically received. the grounds are beautiful and the location on the sky road is breathtaking. do take the drive along the coast. some of us had treatment at the spa and they were judged among some of the best we had ever had. the town of clifden is charming and lively and the walk is totally doable. we were all very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank verysatisfied09
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed one night at the Abbeyglen Castle but wished I stayed many more! The service was outstanding. The owners, Brian and Paul made me feel at home and provided wonderful service during an exquisite dinner. My back was sore from travels and Linda from the spa gave me a top notch massage. The grounds and my room were amazing as well. I will definitely be back and recommend many to visit this castle. When you visit - done forget to go on a hike and find the Clifden Castle ruins!

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Alcock & Brown Hotel
Alcock & Brown Hotel
#6 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!