“Wonderful hotel but oh my .............................the food!”

Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The Ardagh Hotel is situated in an idyllic location overlooking an inlet of water about 2KM outside of Clifden. This is definitely part of its attraction as all of the front facing rooms have a simply wonderful view. We were blessed with 24 hours of benign weather in an otherwise wet spell. Our reward was a spectacular sunset followed by a delightful morning view with sun shining on the water - all viewed from the room.

The hotel itself is very good, seeming to get a good balance between the privacy of a hotel and the homely feel of a top rate B&B. Part of the latter is given by the common areas that you can use to relax, read or just admire the views. The rooms are comfortable and the beds a good size. TV should not be high on your agenda so forget about the small sets with limited channels - that should encourage you to enjoy the wonderful surroundings.

Regardless of the hotel, the outstanding memory for us (my wife and I had a single night here in early July) was the food. On reading the consistently good reviews, we booked for dinner and were given a table for two at the window overlooking the water and mountains beyond. As a cloudy evening cleared to blue skies, mother nature put on an unforgettable display. Even whilst cloudy, however, I found myself mesmerised by the view - a picture painting.

The food needs some detailed mention. My wife and I both went for the a la carte 3 course menu. The cost of 38 Euros (I think) was slightly less than a seafood only option with lobster. There were also individual selections that you could have which for two courses would be only marginally cheaper than the lower priced set menu. However, forget the price - the standard is worth at least this amount. I chose the seafood chowder for an appetiser (as good as I have had anywhere - and I've had some good ones in New England, USA) followed by cod and chips, with the melt in the mouth cod coated in a very nice tempura batter. A divine apple pie with raspberry coulis and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream ending a memorable meal. My wife had outstanding mussels to begin, a wonderful lamb shank and then a very good cheese plate.

As for plain old breakfast in the morning - superb. The omelettes are light and very, very tasty.

The only reason that I can explain the the restaurant is not packed to the rafters every night is that it is not in the town centre. The food is as good as anywhere I have eaten before!

Our evening was rounded off by a walk along the road at the front of the hotel (busier than you might expect at 10.00PM) and a whiskey back at the hotel for a night cap. If you like peaty, smoky single malts, go for the local Connamarra. It is really very good and compares with the best Speyside malts.

If you are anywhere near Clifden, stay at the Ardagh and more importantly, eat here too. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Statsi
There are newer reviews for Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here on the 28th of june for 3 nights. What a place,Great views,in all the places we have stayed it has been the best,never tasted food like it. Owners lovely. Staff very freindly and helpfull

1  Thank 35-mt
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The reviews I have read understate this wonderful establishment. It ticks all the boxes. Hospitality, great food and atmosphere.

I will certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Melanjen
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Ardagh Hotel Connemara

Magical Views - Oysters on demand

The Ardagh Hotel is located 2 miles from the town of Clifden overlooking Ardbear Bay. One thing that we have found when you ring to confirm your arrival time that it is an old friend you are talking too instead of the owner of the establishment. I recommend that you take a sea view room to make the most of the views and the sun. The sea view room is huge and will comfortably sleep 3 people; the bed was a super king in our room. The superfast wifi was brilliant and free! There is loads of parking space. The drive to Clifden was only a couple of minutes and the roads seemed very sleepy and peaceful. We had our breakfast here and it cost 10 euros for continental this was fine for us, there was also a full Irish for 15 euros. There is no elevator that I could see but there are only two upper floors and the owners seemed happy to carry the bags up which we declined. The hotel has a very sweet dog named Rockyin reception that we had to say hello to and rub his tummy, this was more for us than him. I discovered the Connemara local whiskey which is absolutely divine and will pick a bottle or three up from the local store if they have any left, however there is bittedr competition between Jamison’s fans for the prize of best Irish Single Malt. If you like peaty malt flavours then this is the whiskey for you.
Try the local oysters with a pint of Guinness in the house lounge next to the peat fire, for 1.75 euro each you cant loose. We went to Clifden and they were 2.250 euro so this is great value for money.
We dined in on the last night and I suggest the Crab Cake as a starter which my partner had and the duck was devine as a main. My partner had the Turbot which I found lovely also as a main. The service was friendly and prompt without being overbearing. This hotel is only open for 6 months over the summer and is worth a long stay if you are going to really appreciate the wonders of the area. I think that being open for this summer period means that you get the best of everything and then the staff can have a break to refuel for the next 6 months.

Room Tip: front facing seaview room is the best.
2  Thank globaltravel_writer
Reviewed June 22, 2012

What a great place this is. Never had to say my room number as everyone knew it and everything was spot on. Great food and view, and such value for money. This place comes highly recommended and the owner/manager is always on hand for a chat. A+++

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Braai_boy
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I cannot fault this hotel at all! Beautiful well-kept hotel, extremely friendly staff always on hand to help, food simply divine! We ate from the set menu which varied everyday and with great selection. Views are spectacular with an amazing sunset if your lucky enough to catch one with the irish weather. Easy location to Clifden town which has a few bars a thriving night life. Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, open turf fire in bar and restaurant and very soft sofas. Well stocked bar, oh I could go on and on. This place is great! Highly recommended. We will definitely be staying here again. Owners were always around from breakfast in the morning until the bar closed that night.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double room on the first floor. It was spacious and very comfortable. Was at the back...
2  Thank gracegirvin
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Lovely hotel, excellent and attentive staff, fantastic food and spectacular views. Lovely bar with a peat fire, the specialist fish menu is outstanding, but the set menu which changes daily is also fabulous. Rooms comfortable and spacious. A 5 minute drive from Clifden town which has some good pubs and live music. One of the very best hotels I have ever stayed in - really can not understand how anyone can find any complaints! Particular thanks to Sydney in the hotel bar for being wonderful! PS Rocky the dog - referred to in some reviews - is a delightful big softy who is a well behaved old boy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlooking the fantastic view are fab.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Shropshirelass56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!