Alcock & Brown Hotel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Maol Reidh Hotel(Tullycross)
View Hotel
All reviewscentre of towntransatlantic flightcentral locationstreet parkingresidents barnext morningcould not have been more helpfulroom was spaciouslovely hotelenjoyable staystayed here for one nightgreat weekenda lovely staysecond to nonedining roombreakfast was excellenttop class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I got a 200 euro deal for my partner & I that included 2 nights B&B and 1 evening meal and I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much. I was wrong, rooms clean, staff friendly & helpful and the best bit for me was the food. The fish chowder was AMAZING!! This really is a lovely hotel in a very beautiful part of the world. I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you DJ, glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again sometime. Regards, Declan.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great location, friendly, helpful staff, great food, comfy rooms.
Connemara is fantastic for a relaxing holiday and the little town of Clifden is pretty much the capital. The Alcock and Brown hotel is at the right end of town for all of the shops, restaurants and bars to be in easy reach.
Being aware that we were travelling by motorbike the staff had arranged secure parking for us before we arrived. Just the first example of their 'it's no trouble' attitude to looking after us.
They really know the area so when they tell you "it's a nice day, you should go and see the Sky Road" do so and you will not be disappointed. Look through the leaflets and books but make sure to ask for recommendations from the staff of where to visit.
Breakfast was included and was the choice of anything from a light snack from the buffet to the full Irish. Extra toast and coffee was always available and when four of us ordered different cut down versions of the cooked breakfast it wasn't a problem.
Evening meals were excellent. Stylishly presented, well cooked, decent quality food. We were trying bits from each others meals so we didn't miss out on anything - except that the mushrooms were so good my girlfriend refused to share.
Every night there we slept very well, which is more than can be said of the chain hotel we stopped in before catching the ferry from Wales.
Everyone there made us feel welcome, taking an interest, answering our questions, praying for nice weather for us, supplying our never ending thirst for tea.
In summary, they really made our holiday great and staying in Connemara again we would not think of going anywhere else.
Thanks a million Alcock and Brown.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, rooms at the front have a good view of the town square.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank graeme e
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hi Graeme, thank you for your lovely comments. We are happy you enjoyed your time in Connemara so much. We look forward to seeing you again....and don't hesitate to send your friends over to us too !! Regards, Declan.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked this hotel for it's Market Square location. Best choice in town. Our room looked out on the square - great. All bars and restaurants close at hand. All (I mean ALL) the staff were the friendliest and most helpful people you could meet and the food was top class.
. Clifden is a super friendly town

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your kind words Dick. We look forward to seeing you again. Regards, Declan.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am a driver guide and while my clients stayed in Ballynahinch Castle I stayed here for 2 nights. I don't normally review hotels where I stay but I had to for Alcock & Brown as it is such a great place. It is a 3 star hotel with evening food as good as any 5 star but at 3 star prices. I stayed here before the new owners took over (Declan & Sharon) and was reluctant to return. How a place can change. From the minute you arrive you are met with a friendly smile and helpful staff. The room was clean and had all the essentials a guest could ask for. The price is very reasonable and well what can i say about the food. Breakfast was plentiful and will set you up for the day. I had the sirlion steak for dinner and if you closed your eyes you would have mistaken it for fillet. It was that good! The rates are on par with B&Bs but you get so much more. These people and their staff are what Irish hospitality is all about and I wish them all the success in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul G
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hi Paul, thank you for this lovely review. We appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon. Regards, Declan.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at the hotel for one night on Sunday 12th May. We were travelling for a few days and wanted to stay in Clifden. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful with good local knowledge and good knowledge of the hotel and the bedrooms as she recommeded we opt for one of the refurbished rooms as we would be more comfortable. It was a good size room, clean with basic but all we needed amenities. Loved the big picture window had a lovely view of clifden and it was great to have a clean window which isnt always easy with irish weather. Food lovely, service very good. The lady owner was very helpful recommended areas to visit and was very interested in our feedback regarding our stay, both good and bad, she was consious of how her staff treated guests and she obviously puts a lot of time and effort in trying to train and keep staff = happy staff = happy guests! Yes I would go back!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Hi Clare, thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards, Declan.