“Great stay in Cliffden”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
Joyce's Waterloo House B&B
Ranked #38 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2008

I've been meaning to write this review since May. What a greatr stay my wife and I had. The room we stayed in had an alcove with couch. The room looked out over some fabulous scenery. IT was a great place to enjoy a cup of tea, glass of wine or a whiskey adn read a book on rainy afternoon or before dinner.. The breakfasts were hearty and tastey.

Although not downtown, we found the Waterloo was a great distance to walk to town for dinner and trips to the Pub.

The owners were extremely pleasand helpful.

Rooms clean and comforatble.

We would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank stripersonfly

Reviewed August 27, 2008

Warm friendly welcome from pk and patrica. There was a nice family atmosphere. The room was spacious and comfortable. It is located on the outskirts of Clifden and is only a 5 minute walk to the town yet has the feeling of being in the country. Would recommed it to any of my family and friends.

Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank Perts55
Reviewed August 25, 2008

TK and Patricia are the sweetest hosts and really make a stay at Joyce Waterloo a treat. The rooms are a good size, and some have a nice sitting area with a couch overlooking the front property. There is a hot tub that guests can use and plenty of information on exploring Connemara. Breakfast is wonderful, and certainly plenty to fill you up. This place is a great value, and within a short walk down the main road/highway to Clifden.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank adk23
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I booked four rooms in the Joyce's Waterloo for my family this past July. My family arrived at the Joyce's Waterloo right from the airport at 10:30 AM. The b&b was very kind to let us have our room, called the "family room" early (as they told us no one occupied the room the night before) - first clue. We were thrilled we could carry our already-sleeping children right into a bed, but when I got into the room, I was surprised with it's overall appearance. It was smaller than I expected a family room to be, dark and musty. The bathroom was dated, with cracked tiles on the floor. I ventured on upstairs to check in on my other relatives who now occupied three rooms upstairs. Their rooms were much brighter, some with lanai-type seating areas - and the same size, if not larger than the downstairs family room. I did notice two of the upstairs rooms were unoccupied so I asked PK about switching to one of the rooms - one with two large poster beds and plenty of room for another cot to be rolled in. I even told him I'd pay for the cleaning of the room we had already occupied for a few hours. He told me it wouldn't be possible for me to switch rooms because he had a booking the next night. I asked him if we could have the room for one night and was told that I couldn't because then he'd have to "sell" our room - the family room. Anyone reading between the lines here? We also ran out of hot water both days and on the second day, had to go to my in-laws room to use the showers. I didn't find PK very accomodating and would even question his sincerity - especially after staying in other b&bs on our trip and having completely different experiences. I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it. To those with children who do choose the Waterloo: make sure you request a room upstairs.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank jasper567
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed at the b&b for one night. We arrived at 6pm and were greeted by PK.

We had a upstairs kingsized bedroom booked for myself and my husband. Loved the dormer type window with access onto the balcony. Nice to sit there watching the world go by!

Room very clean and liked the fact the bathroom has a walk in shower. Lots of information in the room about what connemara has to offer. DVD player available in room to use.The bed was very comfy.

We checked out the hot tub but didn't use! Didn't get up in time for breakfast so can't comment on that.
The only downside is that it is a fair walk into town. But with a car it only takes minutes.
We would stay here again, oh and i loved the flags outside of the room!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Scorpionfiona
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Joyce's Waterloo House is a very nice B&B, located along (but back away from) the main road from Galway into Clifden. It is easy and convenient to get to/from town, but a little to far to walk. This is a beautiful property, with pleasant views across the road and into the distant hills. Our room also was quite nice, with a glass-enclosed sitting area, and access to a private balcony. The television is well-sized and there is free internet. Breakfasts were very good, with a nice variety.
Now for the quirks. I have never been in a B&B that had so many "thou shalt not.." signs. I'm not sure whether the owners have had bad experiences with guests taking things, but it seemed like every time we turned around we were being warned of the dire consequences of (a) taking towels, (b) taking magazines and pamphlets, (c) taking fruit that you aren't going to eat in the breakfast room, etc. That seemed a little creepy, but it didn't really affect us, so no big deal.
I would strongly recommend front-facing rooms, and the upstairs king-size bedrooms in particular. At 104 euro per night, we thought our room was well worth it. On the other hand, be forewarned that rear-facing rooms look out upon a giant retainer wall -- pretty ugly in my estimation.
For dinner, I recommend E.J. King's. We had a very nice meal, reasonably priced, in the upstairs pub.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ColumbiaTrekkers
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We planned to stay 4 nights and ended up staying 6 nights - we felt like we had arrived at an amazing, friendly and comfortable home of a favorite aunt.. Waterloo house is an older but charming and comfortable guesthouse. PK and Patricia greet you like old friends and you get the sense they truly want your stay to be great.

We left outselves in the capable hands of PK about suggested places to visit and more importantly the best to way to get there. I know we got to see and experience much more with his help than we would have otherwise. Waterloo house was a welcoming place to come back to each day - large comfortable room and lounge filled with eclectic furnishings and lots of books. The place is spotless maintained.

Breakfast was delcious and plentiful - lots to choose from the cold buffet and menu of hot dishes. Loved the pancakes and brown bread. Patricia even gave me the recipe.

Since the property is a few minutes walk from town (10-15 minutes) its in a quiet area - off the main road. They had outdoor tables and chairs overlooking the garden for their guests to use - so relaxing.

Taking the time to chat with PK and Trish and their lovely daughters was wonderful - gives you a real feel for life in Ireland. That's why you stay in a B&B or guesthouse rather than a impersonal hotel.

Loved the Connemara area and plant to return to Waterloo House.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple