Dan O'Hara's Homestead Farm
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshort filmold homesteadsconeskylemore abbeytractorhomestaypeatturfstrugglesbogfarmingirelandaccommodations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We referred to this B and B from the previous one we stayed at. When we arrived we were greeted by Ms. Nora. The place is beautiful! We were only 10 minutes from Clifden, a wonderful little town. Dinner at moorings was great! I would definitely recommend this place, they are very accommodating to all your needs. In the summer months beware of the midges, little gnat like bugs that like to chew on you! Hateful little creatures, but harmless. The entire staff made our stay enjoyable! If and when I come back to this area I will most definitely stay here again! Also, the rooms are very sound private. You never have to worry if your tv noise is bothering the next room, or there's bothering yours!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad C
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Before staying at Dan O'Hara's, I had read a review that was complaining because this B&B was more like a hotel..Let me just trump that and say it was much more than a hotel--definitely an extra special B&B!! This Homestead provided much more than a room and cozy bed---culture, history, and true Irish heritage!
Even if you don't have time to stay over night, make it a point to pass through Clifden, (it is a lovely town) and stop for a tour and to walk the grounds of Dan O'Hara's..in all of Ireland, it was one of my family's favorite stops.
Martin's storytelling abilities were just another added bonus (;

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Down to earth friendly people with enough to detain the visitor for two hours. I highly recommend this place. The small cafe contain cakes not found elsewhere and the tour is well worthwhile. It is well sign posted so finding it should not be a problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I have just had another fantastic holiday at Dan O'Hara's. The very friendly welcome made us feel like coming home.

As usual there was the now very warm welcome with a lovely pot of tea and home made scones and a good chat. The food (all home cooked) was just great with ample portions and extra if you wanted it.

The weather was very bad but we still enjoyed our holiday especially the ramble up the bohareen (small cow road) to Dan O'Hara's cottage on the hill-side and its welcoming warm turf (peat) fire. The peat is cut from the bog just down the way a little.

Looking out the half-door at the very unseasonal wind and rain on the Connemara countryside and the smoke gently rising from the glowing fire was just heavenly. Spot, the dog and the hens were sheltering inside the door from the heavy rain and a force 8 westerly. As I sat there with my wife and smoking my pipe thinking of what a tremendous holiday and time we were having.

Shortly afterwards the rain cleared and we continued to walk up the mountain until the climb became difficult, then it was a case of thread carefully. We reached the top of the mountain where the view was just breathtaking (see photos).

We are already planning our next holiday there :-).

A special thank you to Martin, Nora, Paula, Maggie, and all the staff who helped to make our holiday so enjoyable.

Thank you to all.

Ger & Clare

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GerCo_Clare
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently sent two lovely nights at this wonderful place. We were greeted with enthusiasm and found our accommodation to be spacious and spotless. Paula was very helpful as were Nora and Martin. WE enjoyed the old trip up the hill to the old homestead...recommend everyone who visits this area to give the Dan O'Hara Homestead a visit! Food was excellent as well. Clifden is very nearby for music, food and drink and shopping as well. I took one day and spent it in Cong for the entire "Quiet Man" experience and found the drive to be easy with breathtaking views all along the way. I highly recommend that fellow travelers stop by this location when visiting Connemara. It would be a gem missed if not!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends