“Very good food- excellent service!”
Review of Guys Bar & Snug

Guys Bar & Snug
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Clifden
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Guys Bar and snog is one of the oldest establishments in Clifden, serving a wide range of local dishes daily until 9pm. Evening traditional music sessions throughout the season. Late night music on Thurs/Fri and Sat. A selection of wines by the glass.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I vacationed in the Clifden area [we stayed at a holiday house in Ballyconneely- about 7 miles south of Clifden] for a week starting Aug. 31. We went to Guy’s for a pint on August 31 and decided to stay for dinner. When we asked “the man in black” about how long it might be to get a table, he pointed to a nearby table and said he’d been saving it just for us- so we were seated immediately. We just loved it- and we ended up having dinner there three nights and had a pint one other night when we fixed dinner at our house during our stay.
The food ranged from very good to excellent. My wife loved the mussels [had them twice] and liked the fish and chips the other night. I had prawns and crab cakes [starters] one night- the prawns were good but perhaps a little too much breading while the crab cakes were excellent, I had the beef stew [good] another night, and had the hake the last night- excellent. Presentation was always very good, we liked the atmosphere, and the service was excellent. Our head person for two nights was very friendly and engaging and remembered us on our 3rd visit. While I missed getting his name at the time [I should have] I believe his name is Dominic [from the receipt]. Our thanks to him, in particular, for making us feel welcome.
They also have WiFi at Guy’s so we were able to check the internet and email messages when we were there. Our three meals averaged about 45.00 Euro which typically included a drink each. I thought the prices were reasonable. Oh, one night we split a dessert- Morrocon Orange cake- which was superb- my wife got found the recipe after we got home. Another night we split an apple crumble- also very good.
I highly recommend Guy’s Bar & Snug! Check out the pictures of some of the things we had to eat there.

There are newer reviews for Guys Bar & Snug

Reviewed September 24, 2013

we ended up having our dinner meal at Guys, on the recommendation from our B&B hostess. It was a good choice, nice typical menu, fair prices, and we enjoyed it for sure. Would return

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just ok, I have definitely experienced better.

On the face of it, the place looked promising. Cool, modern and stylish from the outside. And nicely decorated inside, which a flavour of Ireland.

I ordered the Thai Red Chicken curry. My partner a pizza.

Needed to have my meal reheated as the curry itself came to the table barely warm in the middle of the bowl. They obliged and it came back hotter. It tasted very nice too.

My partners pizza was overloaded with cheese. Way way too much cheese. The base was nothing to write home about. I could be wrong, but I doubt they make the pizzas in house. The most they'd do is add fresh toppings.

This was the second average dining experience in Clifden. I really hope this was a one off and that the many many visitors to the Clifden area get a better standard of dining than our visit did.

1  Thank Cristin L
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The pizza was delicious... Very good appetizers. Guys is more of a restaurant than a bar even though there is a full bar. Dom was a wonderful host/server/bartender/sightseeing-information-guy!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wonderful atmosphere, very helpful and nice staff and good food but above all.. free wifi in an area where internet and telephone signals are a problem. Perfect for internet junkies like me!