“Really Good Lunch”

Mitchell's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Clifden
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, European, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ireland
“Really Good Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Stopped by today on a whim and had a really tasty lunch for three for less than €40. The fish cakes looked a little forlorn on a large plate and as a main course, they were a little light on quantity and the small salad didn't really make up the gap. Apart from that, no complaints. Soup and Calamari were top notch and I like that a jug of decent water is placed on the table without request. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2014

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A Wonderful Impulse Stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were talking about dinner when I saw Mitchell's; it just looked welcoming and good. We were lucky enough to get the last table as we did not have reservation. The food, the staff, and the atmosphere were all wonderful. We are so glad we stopped there; it was the best dinner of our honeymoon!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were just passing by and decided to give this place a try. Man, was that a great decision. They were able to sit us without reservations. The food from starters to desert was simply amazing. The service was great. I will return to Clifden just to come to this restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Dublin
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Although we had to book a table and it was extremely busy it was worth it. We had fish cakes and crab cakes for starters, fish and chips and scampi for main course. It was faultless and some of the best fresh fish we have ever had. Staff are very professional. My 4 year old decided he wanted stew!! He ate ever bit of it so even better when your child eats every bit.

Oxon
“Relegation Zone Looming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Staying near Clifden during a short motoring tour, Mitchells was recommended by our b&b host as the premier fish restaurant in town. This was echoed by our taxi driver and so, having pre-booked, we arrived for the 7p.m. serving (another starts at 9.00p.m.)

A modest frontage led into a very busy dining room (it was Saturday) with tables and chairs leaving very little free space (I think there is further capacity on the second floor). Decoration was pretty much neutral, if not austere, and which I felt rather soulless. It was certainly difficult to discern any defining character to the place beyond a clear focus on food service. Tables were laid with paper napkins and, surprisingly for a fish restaurant, without fish knives.

As expected, the menu offered a wide range of fish dishes and it would be a very particular diner not able to find something to delight and three of the four of us did exactly that. I regret that I found myself odd man out although my starter of caramelised pears teamed with cashel blue and dressed rocket was excellent. Unfortunately, my enjoyment was marred by the maître 'd using the back of my chair to prop himself up while chatting to guests behind us!!

No, the real disaster arrived with the main course of wild salmon on purple sprouting broccoli. It was obvious just by sight that this had been cooked to extinction and I actually wondered if it had already been rejected once. The vegetable on which it resided had been transformed into a vile black stick while the supplementary vegetables served for the four of us defined "al dente" (they may have been near hot water!). In fairness, this dish should have been rejected but on the other hand a restaurant which has built its reputation of serving fish might be expected to exercise better control of what is placed before the customer. A slightly pricey Muscadet was fine.

I've rated this establishment as very good to reflect the fact that three of us had little criticism of the food. However, I feel that Mitchells will need to "up their game" if relegation from the premiership is to be avoided.