“Shocked by negative reviews”

Connemara Country Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Connemara Country Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Jupiter, Florida
“Shocked by negative reviews”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Some of the "local Irish" reviewers seem to have very harsh words for the foreign tourists looking for "leprechans and old country". I for one found Mary and her daughter to be charming, gracious and ever-so-kind to us. As a matter of fact, both Mary and her daughter remain the two kindest people we came across in Ireland and will be our FIRST and longest stop on our return trip next summer. If you want a beautiful home in a beautiful area with a gracious and kind hostess than Connemara Country Lodge is for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Plus side-Good location for seeing Connemara, good location in the town, friendly owner, all expected facilities, cosy enough room, easy walk into town, good breakfast that sets you up for the day
on the negative side, the walls are made of paper and you can hear you neighbours toilet trips, and its pretty expensive for a B and B - but then everything in Ireland is!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank James P
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently went to Clifden for the Tour de Connemara. We picked the Connemara Country Lodge for its reasonable price (the prices for hotels were through the roof due to the Tour) and the reviews it had received. Our first experience of its wonderful owner, Mary, was a phone call giving us directions and letting us know we could bring my boyfriends bike into the house for safe keeping. The B&B is a 1 min drive and less than a 10 min walk into Clifden. The rooms were comfortable and freash towels were provided both mornings. Mary is a wonderful host who made everyone feel welcome in her home and offered a brilliant selection of items for breakfast. However, you better be hungry as Mary really does provide the Full Irish breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karlsfeld, Germany
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Slanting toilet-lid, dirty shower entrance, smelly room bad bed basic furniture. A strange owner makes strange jokes. I did not like the place at all. It is the worst bed & breakfast on our trip. The only good things are an own carpark and workinf WIFI

Room Tip: As the rooms have no number - how can I give an advice?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank wuzile
Galway
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night as all of the hotels in the area were booked out.

We found the owner, Mary, to be a little overbearing. She insisted on filling us with stories and sang songs at breakfast. Very entertaining for the European tourists there I imagine but not for us Irish!

The room was small and the bed was comfortable but the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything happening out in the corridor in the morning.

The breakfast was ok - some items on the full Irish were undercooked but there was a decent spread of toast and cereal to go with it.

I found the key system strange - you were expected to leave your key on a table in the entrance hallway when you left. I'm a trusting person but others may find this system a little odd - anyone could take your key and enter your room!

For Irish holidaymakers - look elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Vagab0n
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife booked this B&B for the upcoming long May weekend. Three nights bed and breakfast and a confirmed booking from a well known travel site. Booked on Thursday 4th April for 3rd, 4th and 5th May. On Thursday 11th April, my wife received a phone call from the owner to say that her daughter had taken some bookings by phone while she was away and there was no room for us. Now this is highly unethical, we were obviously first to book the room and were gazumped by the owner. She then asked that we cancel our confirmed booking with the agent. I must say that this was a free cancellation, but why I had to cancel my confirmed booking instead of her phoning the guests that had booked after me. I suspect that we may have been bumped because she got a higher rate from someone else, highly unethical, highly unsatisfactory and the first time this has ever happened to me. Beware CONFIRMED bookings with this establishment.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank jemser
Rhodedendron, Owner at Connemara Country Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Jemser
I am so sorry that you are disappointed. It was our error that resulted in too many bookings for this night. I can assure you it was simply human error. I did direct you to another fine establishment but understand that you only wanted to stay here. I hope you will call again. Best wishes, Mary.
Cork
Reviewed April 7, 2013

An expensive guest house with a great location. For 80 euros a night (dearer than many hotels) you would expect a far better furnished room. As in many of these old houses, there is poor sound insulation, so expect to hear lots of loud footsteps from your neighbours.

I can see why foreign tourists would be enraptured by the 'entertainment' provided by the hostess but surely most intelligent people can see it for the stage Irish nonsense that it is. The 'singing' (don't give up the day job) and tin whistle playing was toe-curling to say the least as well as headache inducing first thing in the morning. I won't even get started on the 'banter' with the guests.

The photo in the hallway of the proprieter arm in arm with Irish political gangster Bertie Ahern should have given us some idea what we were letting ourselves in for I suppose.

Overall, a fine guesthouse if your an easily impressed foreigner looking for leprechauns in the Auld Country. If your a local or fancy a bit of privacy on your travels then steer well clear.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank CorkNitpicker
Dear Corknitpicker
I am so disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. It is important to point out though that for many years we have advertised the fact that we play music for our guests. This is advertised on all websites and also on the sign at our entrance. I must say that most our visitors enjoy the experience and respect the fact that we try hard to offer something a little different - perhaps that is something all businesses strive for. You will remember that all other guests applauded roundly and thoroughly enjoyed their breakfast. I hope you will return another day and join in a song with me and maybe help me find a little leprechaun out the back !! Best wishes, Mary.