Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Adare
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I just wanted to drop you a little note to say what a great event it was last night and thank you so much for your hospitality. Your hotel is really beautiful and the organisation of the event was perfect. It was clear that you and your staff had worked very hard to achieve the results we got last night.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,697)

Reviewed May 18, 2010

This hotel is the real Irish family run hotel! Lovely staff ,very friendly & helpful made us feel really welcome. The whole hotel is gleaming, its obvious the staff work very hard. The pool is lovely if a tad cold & gym has everything you could need. They also have an onsite Spa.

We had both dinner & breakfast in Timmy Macs Bistro. Great wholesome menu with local fresh ingredients. They have a great early bird menu on offer for dinner 2 courses €22.50 & 3 courses €25.00 with an option to add a bottle of house wine for only €15 extra! You can actually get the early bird menu later in the evening for just a few euro extra. The childrens menu is also quite good 2 courses €11 & 3 courses €14. They currently have an offer where children eat free at Sunday brunch.

The rooms are large & clean as are the bathrooms. There is also a whirlpool bath in most rooms. But the bed truly is worth writing home about, duck feather mattress toppers, pillows & duvets. There is nothing better than sinking into those beds.

At the moment they have recession beating prices for accommodation! We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank purple_swb
Reviewed May 14, 2010

A night or two at the Woodlands House has become a bit of a tradition during our annual trip to Ireland, when flying into and out of Shannon. The primary reason is location; about a half hour to the airport, yet less hectic than staying in Limerick and more enjoyable than the sterile hotels encircling the airport itself. We enjoy the well-furnished fitness center and the pool, as a way to work off jet lag when arriving, or work off a few Guinness when departing.

No, this is not a five-star hotel, nor would I consider it a destination in itself. Our welcome, however, has always been pleasant, the cost is reasonable, and Adare is a beautiful little town with some good pubs and restaurants.

The Woodlands House is a busy place; you can virtually be assured of a wedding reception or other event going on. These can get a bit raucous, but we've never been disturbed in our room by the revelers in other parts of the hotel. The breakfasts (included) offer a lot of variety and you will not leave hungry. It is really too far to walk into Adare, but we always have a rental car, so that is not an issue. We've always had a good night's sleep, allowing us to start--or end--our stay in Ireland refreshed.

The Woodlands House is a classic old Irish hotel; a little rough around some of the edges, but with enough charm to compensate. If you're looking for opulence, or a place to spend a week, this isn't it. If you're looking for a pleasant place to stay at a reasonable price, close to Shannon, in a nice town, you can do much worse. Believe me, we have.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2010

From the minute we entered the Woodlands Hotel the staff took care of us. The receptionist already had our booking our ready by the time we reached the reception desk, warmly welcomed us and made recommendations about the local area and walks etc and had so kindly upgraded us to a beautiful suite room overlooking the garden.

The stay was exceptionally good value and the staff went out of their way to assist even jump starting our car the next day when we had problems starting and printing off road instructions for us.

Would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone.

A much better standard than some of the other 4 star hotels we stayed in during our time in Ireland.

My only small regret was that the restaurant was not open the night we stayed and we had to dine in the tavern instead where the food was not as special as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I first visited Fitzgeralds Woodland House Hotel for a friend’s wedding of in 1992 and I liked it immediately.
Over the years I have stayed there as a guest, to give workshops and on social and business events. I was always extremely well looked after by David and his staff. They have a personal touch to make you feel very welcome and at ease while staying at the Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel. It has that ‘Old Ireland’ hospitality feeling which many aspire but few achieve!
My wife Ann used the Revas Spa while we stayed there and she was very impressed by the Revas experiences. She found it relaxing and rejuvenating.
I would highly recommend the Fitzgeralds Woodland House Hotel for a weekend break or if you have to stay in county Limerick for business!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed with my best friend on a spa break recently. Got a great deal 2 nights B & B 1 Dinner in a superior room, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and mallows in our room plus gorgeous soft comfy robes all for E129. The room was huge, beds very comfortable but the decor was so bland and depressing. Just changing the borning cream coloured walls to a soft warmer colour would have made such a different as the duvet covers are plain white. Bathroom a good size, great shower but water went all over the place so its not easy to be "green" like they want you to be! A few stains on the blue carpet which wasn't nice & the reception on the tv was bad but I suppose they are minor things. On arriving at the hotel and I admit it was early 11 o'clock we were told by a very dour receptionist that "I do realise check in is 4 O'Clock don't I?" We had no problem waiting and had coffee & scones at our leisure as after all the name of the weekend in our books was total relaxation and we would have gone out for a walk as well as it was such a lovely day. I do think though that 4 o'clock is very late for check in especially for people who are only there for 1 night and want to make the most of it. However, the room was ready about 12.30. Unfortunately our weekend was somewhat spoiled by this awful smell coming from the plugholes in the bathroom. It slowly got worse as the weekend went on and particularly evening/night-time. It was impossible to keep the bathroom door open with the stench. We did complain to reception and the girl there said she would bring it to housekeeping's attention but nothing was done. On checkout the same girl asked us if the problem had been rectified and we told her it hadn't been and emphasised how bad it was. She was very apologetic and gave us a free nights stay whenever we wanted which was a lovely surprise as to be fair it takes a lot of us to complain about anything. The communal areas of the hotel could definately do with a facelift and are bordering on pretty old fashioned.
Breakfast and dinner were just great, absolutely no complaints there. Great choice for breakfast which is in Timmy Mac's bistro. The toaster though is abit antiquated! You have to wait ages for it and I'd hate there to be a queue as by the time its done your food would be well and cold. Its normal with hotels to bring you toast with your tea/coffee. Dinner was delicious and the waiting staff very helpful.
The spa was out of this world! It certainly doesn't match the hotel. Its like something that you would see in a top 5 star hotel. We've been to alot and this was by far the most gorgeous. The thermal suite was fantastic and the outside area just lovely. You could spend a lovely hour here before any treatment. The relaxation areas were very private and soooo relaxin! The treatments we got were lovely but we were both finished quite abit before we should have been as advertised in the brochure so this was disappointing. The massage I had was a swedish one and it was alot of just rubbing with an awful lot of oil. It was relaxing but I went for this particular one as I also wanted the therapist to get to my problem areas of my back & shoulders which she did abit but not much. The reflexology was great but again my treatment said an hour and a half and I was finished in just under an hour. I didn't know the time as I didn't have my watch until I got back to the relaxation area otherwise I would have mentioned it before leaving the treatment room. Having said that it wouldn't stop me going back as they have a fantastic range of treatments.]
Overall despite one or 2 things I would definately go back to the Woodlands.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We had a wonderful weekend and the service we received in all areas was second to none, Woodies fun club was fantastic my 5 year old loved it. I have advised my colleague at work on what a wonderful service your hotel has to offer as well as highly recommending you to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dunraven Arms Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
Castletroy Park Hotel
Castletroy Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Castletroy

Been to Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel? Share your experiences!