“will most definitely be back...”

Dunraven Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for the first time last week, having heard rave reviews from many people over the years. We had our 7 year old and 9 year old with us and it was one of the best breaks we have ever had.

The interconnecting rooms were ideal, the children loved having their own tv and bathroom! It meant that we had a little space from them. Because it was so near to the Leisure Centre it was so easy to walk to the pool, and the children spent a lot of time in the pool - the staff are so lovely there.

I would definitely recommend the bar food, something for everyone and all home-made, even the chicken goujons. My son loved the homemade burger and my daughter the lamb curry - again the staff were so helpful and particularly kind to the children.
We treated ourselves to dinner in the main restaruant on one of the evenings and I had the most delicious risotto, my husband had the beef as he was always hearing about it, he had 2 helpings - each time cooked pink jsut theway he likes it.

Adare is a beautiful village with something for the whole family, recommend the walk along the river - just long enough for children - who just wanted to go back and swim.

It is very obvious that this hotel is run by a family, the attention to detail and the wonderful staff reflect this - it is so unusual these days to find a personal hotel, not a chain. Would recommend this hotel and we will most definitely be back.....

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank familymIreland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed March 17, 2010

We were treated to an internet special by our inlaws last weekend who stayed in the room next door. We had our two year old with us. The rooms were spacious and well appointed but there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room which in this day and age is incomprehensible. There were lots of lovely little sitting rooms many with open fires and cosy looking open fires scattered around the hotel.
The restaurant was an entirely other matter. We sat to dinner at 7.20 which was a little late for my two year old, but we were guests of our inlaws and not in a position to gripe. The menu seemed lovely, but wholly inappropriate for a small child. I asked about a child menu and was sneered at. I decided to skip the starter and order beef and planned to give some to the child. I told this to my server at 7.20. When my small person was insane with hunger and starting to get overtired an hour later with still no sign of the beef I retired to the bedroom asking my husband if he could call me on my mobile when there was food on the table, as I could no longer stand the disapproving looks from the maitre 'd who was completely disinterested. At 8.40, one hour and twenty minutes after ordering the beef finally came to the table. The portions were really tiny, and not even bulked out by the veg. There was approx two tablespoons of mashed potato (which was watery) and one floret of rock hard cauliflower with a similarly tough and tiny portion of carrots per person. Miniscule portions. And the final straw came when the beef was really fatty. The poor child was beside herself with the inedible meal and didn't eat. My husband retired from the table to bring her up to the room and give her some fruit and other food we had thankfully packed in case of emergency. I have never seen her in such a state. I asked for a fresh glass at the table as in the melee our water glasses had all become confused and was met with an arched eyebrow, and then given the glass. My husband had ordered a Cidona which never appeared. And the train station atmosphere as kitchen doors swung wildly around us didn't help. There was a Lyons club do in another restaurant on the same night and having come from a hotel and catering background myself I couldn't help but wonder if our meals were in some way affected by the desire to keep the Lyons club drinking in the bar and crowding up the foyer for just a little longer to increase profits. Although they did bring their own lemonade! I was so agitated by my experience at dinner that it took till 3am to doze off in the lovely four poster bed. Only to be awoken at 5 with light flooding in through the gaps in the curtains which refused all attempts to close properly.
Breakfast the next morning had a similar feel to the night before.... a feeling of this restaurant trying to be something special but just falling short. For the buffet breakfast there was a good selection of fruit, my daughter really got stuck into some melon but we were again disappointed to see only cereals such as coco-pops and cornflakes and rice krispies, and nothing nice and healthy such as porridge or weetabix. Home cooked ham was tasty save for the glaze not being much more than a smear of warm mustard. The sausages were lovely and the brown bread and scones really special. There were also scrambled eggs available. All in all breakfast was really close to being fabulous, but we made sure to go to the Woodlands up the road for lunch, just in case. I would stay again but I would not eat dinner in that restaurant again for love nor money! I would recommend it to people without children who have eaten prior to dinner time!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank fuzzymolly
AdareDunraven, Proprietor at Dunraven Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments.

We are very proud of our approach towards children and we do our utmost to cater for all children. In our bar we have special children’s menu using all fresh ingredients, we also offer any dish our guest wishes for children in the restaurant provided we can cater for same.

We are delighted you enjoyed your rooms as we gave you a complimentary upgrade to Junior Suites for both parties. In our rooms we state that we have 24hour complimentary room service for Tea and Coffee.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back and will ensure the stay is a very enjoyable one.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed here for a wedding. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The food was below average, we found it cold upon serving and had to send it back twice. The function room for the wedding could have done with a good clean, doors and windows grubby and toilets not the freshest. Overall, wouldn't stay here again.

1  Thank James-10
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Visited this hotel for a family wedding. The car parking area of the hotel is grubby, after seeing a broken window at the back of the hotel and finally finding the entrance door I was not expecting the comfort, warmth and beauty of the interior of the Dunraven Arms. Check in was smooth and the room we were assigned was a bit of walk from the main areas of the hotel but it was beautiful and spacious and the cleanliness was excellent. Missed the tea facilities usually found in hotel rooms though.

Fab hotel for a wedding, meal was top class, great bar service and very comfortable surroundings. Adare is a beautiful village and the hotel's location at the edge of the town is ideal.

Enjoyed the leisure centre and pool in the hotel for which there wasn't a charge. Also enjoyed sitting by the fire in one of the many lounge rooms situated in various places along the corridors.

Lovely weekend and will return again in future to the Dunraven Arms

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This hotel is uninspiring from the outside, and even on entering through the swivel door the reception area is quite dismal. However, on closer inspection it is actually beautiful and well kept. We were in a standard bedroom, lovely size and decor - no tea/coffee facilities which is my only gripe with the room. Cleaning ladies were so friendly and had the room sparkling so 10/10 for those particular members of staff. The sitting/lounge rooms interspersed around the hotel and the bar areas are lovely and keep the vibe of a hunting lodge alive throughout the hotel.

Food - fantastic. We ate twice in the hotel and both times it was a great meal. Bar service was good, highly recommend dining here. There were plenty of areas for smokers to go without standing around the front of the hotel which pleased me also.
This hotel is in a good location in the quiet but picturesque Adare and is ideal for relaxation. Beautiful pool in hotel also. Ample parking and wifi in rooms was great.

The only fly in the ointment of a lovely weekend was a member of the reception staff who was most unhelpful and impatient on the phone, but I will be advising the hotel of this person. However, the girl who checked us in was nice and the girl who checked us out on Sunday morning was fantastic.

1  Thank letitiadublin
Reviewed February 20, 2010

This hotel is one of my favourite hotels in Ireland. Having got married there last year I can tell you that this hotel offers comfortable, classy accommodation with friendly staff and fabulous food. We had the best wedding ever and the hotel staff could not do enough for us. I love the bedrooms - so cosy and the hotel location is just amazing....I will always have a soft spot for this hotel and we are already planning our next trip there and hopefully there will be many more to come!:)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LucylocketIreland
AdareDunraven, Proprietor at Dunraven Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Your comments are very much appreciated.

We always pride ourselves on the standards of food and service we offer and this is done by a great team of staff. I thank you for your kind comments on this.

We are happy to have our wedding couples from the past come back to stay with us and relive the happy memories.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2010

Located on Main St. Adare. Old country house with rooms extending back into the gardens. The best of food, comfort and sometimes great value. Their website has regular specials. Buy a room upgrade if possible, there very impressive. We stayed on a Saturday night when a wedding reception was also in full swing. The bar was only off limites to members of the public, residents and wedding guests were welcome.
Village has sevaral shops, visitor centre and some excellent pubs and restaurents. Highly recommended.

2  Thank dubtrabteen
AdareDunraven, Proprietor at Dunraven Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dunraven in the future.

Kind Regards,
Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Dunraven Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!