“Still Tops!”
Review of Adare Manor

Adare Manor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My son, David and I visited at the Adare Manor Castle resort this Nov., 2011. I have been there a total of 6 times in the long past. They go all out to make you feel at home. Unlike Ashford Castle they aren't hung up on procedures when they affect a resident of the Hotel. Shea
Gillespie is still working at Adare Manor. He is one of the very best
employees that they have. If you need anything during your stay, ask
him. I now have 3 friends at Adare Manor. Linda Wilmott, Shea Gillespie, and a former employee Maura Lee. Staying at Adare Manor
is like going back home. This is a rare place, both for Atmosphere and
Service.

Room Tip: Ask for a state room overlooking the beautiful Salmon river.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Frank C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed here for one night and from the moment we arrived till the moment we left the stay was just fantastic nothing was a problem for all the staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Adare Manor isn't exactly cheap. For the price, I've been in much nicer rooms. We had a deluxe room which was large and tastefully appointed, but not luxuriously appointed. There was no wow factor at all. My favorite part of the room may have been the serene view of the river and the golf course. That, or the very large bathtub where you can actually comfortably take a bath.

That all being said, I don't know if I've ever stayed at a hotel this majestic with grounds as impressive. I didn't play the golf course (and at 80 Euros, I don't know if it's worth it), but it is a very well kept, challenging course from what I could see. We walked the grounds to see the Vietnam Memorial to the Cedar of Lebanon and a few other little sites. You could spend an entire day walking around here and taking it all in.

The interior is also very nice. We stayed during an Irish/Australian wedding, so we were among a handful of people in the hotel that were not part of the wedding. That just made it all the better. We did the eight course dinner which was actually reasonably priced and of excellent quality. Afterwords, we visited two of the bars. The bartender was excellent and friendly. The service throughout was exceptional. The porter who brought our luggage into our room even stayed and talked with us for a bit at our request regarding the town of Adare and what to do around the Manor. Very helpful.

I'd go back to Adare Manor to experience more of the grounds and hopefully get in a round of golf next time. Here's hoping.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rajiv H
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Pictures are worth a thousand words but they cannot truly do Adare Manor justice. Driving through the front gates you are presented with seemingly endless manicured grounds. In fact, we had trouble finding our way off the property our first evening. The lobby and dining areas are opulent and the views at breakfast are incredible. The staff is top notch, everyone very eager to please. The food at breakfaat was great. The rooms are nice. They have beautiful bathrooms and big screen TVs (too bad the programing wasn't better). Plan some time to stroll the beautiful grounds and take pictures Adare Manor was a highlight of a great trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have mixed feelings about Adare Manor. My husband and I stayed in the main house for two nights at the end of October. The room was fine, but certainly not anything special or even really good - the beds were small, the room was dark, and it lacked the amenities and updates of hotels in the same price range. I felt like the rooms were decorated sometime in the 1980s. Friends stayed on the first floor which is more of a ground floor/basement with a musty smell. I realize the Manor is old - but some of it felt kitsch. The hotel is definitely geared towards American tourists and larger groups. I think it's probably the perfect spot for people who want to stay close together and golf.

Having said that, we were there for a wedding. And I can't imagine another place that could host a 100 person wedding. The wedding dinner in the library was very good - I especially liked the leek and truffle soup. Breakfasts in the main house were excellent, though the group breakfast in the Carriage House was average. I recommend the pancakes with berry compote.

A fantastic aspect of the hotel was the service - I had to go to the local doctor and not only did the hotel call and make the appointment, give me all the necessary information, but they also drove me to and from the appointment, as well (we did have a rental car). The hotel staff truly went above and beyond.

Unfortunately, we had the opposite experience in the spa. After two terrible manicures, the bride asked to have hers retouched just before the wedding (or to buy the color of nail polish so she could do her own) (the spa technician had globbed on too many coats without letting them dry - causing bumps and chipping --- it really was pretty ugly and definitely noticeable). The people at the spa were less than kind, hinted that it was the bride's fault, and went out of their way to say they didn't have time to fix her nails (because they were going to do her soon-to-be sister-in-law's instead). When the other guests offered to let the bride go before them, the spa technicians told them no. And when the bride's sister-in-law cancelled they allowed her to have her nails re-painted but told her she was "lucky because I otherwise wouldn't have done them." It was poor, poor service.

So we had a series of great events and a disappointment with the spa. But on whole I felt that the hotel charged a lot for what it offered and that it coasted on sub-par rooms. I realize the manor house is old but it lacks the charm of other old and interesting places in Europe.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house on higher floors are better - try to avoid the first floor, especially rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank 1775DC
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel is a magnificent Victorian pile specialising in weddings - we were there for a niece's wedding. Nearly all the quests flew in from USA so the whole event was pitched at big-bucks delivery. Nearly flawless but I deduct a point for the excessively hot bedroom [even though the heat was off and we were at ground level] and the scant regard for energy saving even though one of the main corridors was very dark. It's the old issue, even when near perfection there are basics that should have be sorted.

The service from the staff was flawless!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Grahamkaimes
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I was recently staying with a group in Adare Monor for a dinner tasting menu and one night. The tasting menu was excellent, service, wine and food all top class.

However, some of the group stayed in the main hotel, which is an amazing old Irish estate home / castle. But as we booked late we had to book the rental houses (called lodges) on the estate. I have stayed on "lodges" as part of 5 star hotels in Ireland before and I know what to expect. These houses would be fine if I was booking a stag weekend away in Lahinch or something. They were your typical semi detached house you would find for rent in any bog standard holiday rental village in Ireland, but with 5 star prices. The houses were very cheaply decorated, with cheap furniture, carpet etc. Not to mention the smell of sewage outside our house. I just thought for the price we were paying and the quality that Adare Manor aspires to be they could have at least given some effort to making their guests in the lodges feel like they were in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank cathal2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Absolute Hotel
Absolute Hotel
#1 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Adare Manor? Share your experiences!