“Open on Good Friday. For chocolate cake”
Review of Aunty Lena's

Aunty Lena's
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Adare
Cuisines: Irish, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Aunty Lena's Bar situated in Adare Village arguably the prettiest village in Ireland was established in 1806 and has famously served the needs of its patrons with great success. Our highly skilled kitchen team serve delicious traditional Irish food all day and in tandem with that our bar stocks an extensive selection of beers, wines and the finest Irish whiskeys to help wash the meal down with. Our customers are a mix of local people and visiting tourists who we are more than happy to cater for with our own brand of superior customer service. Our large LCD High Definition TVs provide our customers with the perfect place to view all of the major sporting events (especially Munster, Limerick & Adare matches) live, in full comfort and with an atmosphere that you have to experience to believe. We also have live traditional music sessions every Friday night where audience participation is a must and people travel far and wide to experience this 'Lenas' Craic! We have also hosted some of the new and established live bands from around the region as we believe strongly in providing the best possible entertainment for our patrons, if they're happy then so are we!
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Good pub with good atmosphere. Actually swung by with the family looking for something to do on Good Friday. Was surprised to seemthisnplace open but realised they were doing a roaring trade on Good Friday. A testament to their food as pubs can't serve booze on Good Friday.

9  Thank Darren L

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stopped here for some lunch on my wife's 30th birthday in November, on our way to the Adare Manor. In fairness, our first choice for lunch (The Arches) was closed, so we decided to try Aunty Lena's instead.

Decor is fine, and the pub is spacious and welcoming for the most part. I can't fault the pint of Guiness I had. And that's about as good as it got.

As soon as I started reading the menu alarm bells began to ring. I was hoping for honest Irish homemade food (which is more or less what the signs outside promise). Instead, there were chicken wings, spring rolls, and bits and pieces from all over the place (and very little Irish). Reluctantly, we chose loaded potato skins (me) and deep-fried brie (my wife) for starters, and tempura batter fish and chips (me) and an open crab sandwich (my wife) for mains. So...

The loaded potato skins were like nothing I've had before. Normally, a loaded potato skin is the skin of a potato, crisped and covered in cheese and your choice of toppings. Simple, basic, hard to get wrong (which was why I'd ordered it). This, however, was closer to a baked potato, with a flabby potato skin piled with mashed potato and tasteless extras. The whole thing was just stodge and largely inedible.

The deep fried brie was even worse. Rather than having no taste, it had a distinctly unpleasant taste. The cheese had the texture of a hockey puck, but tasted worse. Frankly, it was vile.

Now, I don't know what tempura batter means in Adare, but in my world it means a very light, almost ethereal batter that originated in Japan. Quite simply, what I got wasn't tempura fish and chips. The batter was probably a beer batter, but in any case it was dense and unpleasant. The chips were dry, the fish itself not that fresh.

My wife's crab sandwich was, again, terrible. The crab was watery and tasteless, the dressing poorly executed and whole dish just didn't work.

Overall, the meal was appalling. What's worse is that the bill came to roughly €50. Service was slow and amateur-ish.

Whilst this review may seem harsh, allow me to quickly explain why I was so unhappy. The signs outside, and on their website, promise fresh, home-cooked food. Nothing that we had on our visit was freshly prepared on-site or home-cooked. It bore all the hallmarks of dishes bought from external catering companies and reheated on site. I would be astonished to find a real chef preparing dishes from scratch in the kitchen. For €25 per head for lunch, any venue should be capable of preparing honest Irish dishes from scratch.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

9  Thank Declan O
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We enjoyed a few stops here during our stay in Adare. The food and service were really pretty good overall.

1  Thank Leslie D
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Food was great here - highly recommended. We had the Sausages and Mash and the Irish Stew - both were very tasty...

1  Thank bobmein
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Dony is the best bartender. I had an awesome time at thus pub. Better than any other pub I went to during my stay in Ireland. Even those in Temple Bar in Dublin do not compare to Aunty Lena's. The craic was mightier here than anywhere else! A must stop for anyone visiting Ireland.

1  Thank MistySmart