“Super stay in a super hotel.”
Review of Landmark Hotel

and 1 more site!
Landmark Hotel
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed in The Landmark hotel in early December and found my stay to be very enjoyable from start to finish . We were a group of six and we found the hotel to be very central for us all to meet and stay for a couple of nights catching up.
On arriving we were very promptly checked in by the very friendly receptionist and within minutes we had settled into our rooms , which were very spacious and it had everything that you could ask for in a hotel room. The room was very clean and the toilet and shower facilities were top notch . Later that evening we decided to eat in the bar and all six of us agreed that it was one of the best meals we had ever had . The bar area itself is worth going to see for its very unusual decor . The hotel has an excellent location in relation to all the other bars in the town ie not too close but still everything within 5mins walk .
Our breakfast on both mornings was excellent ,served by very friendly and efficient staff . All in all we all really enjoyed our short stay in this excellent hotel which was great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed on Saturday last, January . The receptionist was welcoming and efficient andI was in my room in minutes. It was comfortable, albeit a little too warm for my liking. Bed was firm and comfortable with goodquality crisp linen. Bathroom spotless and excellent shower pressure and temperature control etc. I had Cod tempura and chips (none ofyour "fries" or "frites") in the bar/grillroom with accompaniments. Fish was fresh, with nice, light, crisp batter and the chips were fine. The breakfast was excellent, with fully ripe pears, pineapple, oranges, backberries etc. all sliced and beautifully presented on a large, serve-yourself platter. Poached egg and bacon and proper brown bread, with a lovely nutty texture finished off a particularly good breakfast in the dining room which is calm and comfortably furnished. The waitress was exceptional: always keeping a discreet eye, checking you had everything you wanted without being over solicitous which can just irritate.

If you are a light sleeper, enquire about possiblelive music from functions underneath your room. It went on until after 1 a.m. but apart from this (which didn't affect me), this was a very happy stay and yes, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, away from main road, perhaps so that you can open a window if room too w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Capam1515
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Every year I stay in more than 40 or 50 bed-nights in Ireland on business trips and have being doing so for many years now. I was not impressed by my stay in this hotel. In fact I would go so far as to say that it was probably the most uncomfortable and unsettling hotel experience that I have ever experienced anywhere in my long travelling life.

When checking in I had to ask the receptionist to turn down the “background” music as I found it difficult to hear what she was saying to me and I am not generally hard of hearing. She did so somewhat reluctantly. Since I had arrived unannounced, and being of that age, I asked what Golden Years offers were available. I was told that this was only for couples. Now most hotels offer this package for single travellers also for obvious reasons especially in the “off’ season, but not this hotel apparently.

I asked for a quiet room as I have to spend quite a lot of my time working there. I specifically asked for a room far removed from kitchen and general ventilation fans in particular. When I arrived at my allotted room at around 6pm I could hear the fans from the corridor outside even before I went into the room. When I entered the noise was quite audible. I went back to reception and ask to be changed and was asked to fill in the check-in form again. I thought that this was a joke. It was not, and I refused. Incidentally the computer programmer needs to be quizzed on the necessity for this nonsense as it is a major operational faux-pas.

On examining the second room it was not any better than the first and I told the receptionist that I would go and stay elsewhere. I was then offered a suite with no extra charge. This was a quiet room and spacious. But there were problems here also. I could not work out how the lights worked in general. There were no bedside tables or lamps and one had to get out of bed in order to turn the light off and then walk back to the bed in the dark. It is lucky that I always carry a torch for emergencies. Now I was ready for and looking forward to a good night’s sleep. But, alas, it was not to be. The fire alarm went off twice during the night. They were both false alarms. But there was no phone call from reception so I called them I was told “it was just a false alarm”. Now this is a rare occurrence thankfully, but normally the staff have the ability to do an “all call” to occupied rooms with either a person or a recorded message. This was not the case here.

There were a couple of other things about the hotel which bothered me. One, was the constant “puff” of some fragrance or other from the air-conditioning, especially in the lifts, which reminded one of cheap deodorants so beloved of Woolworths in the 70s. The level of the back-ground music was objectionably high in all public areas and I ended up wearing ear-plugs while dining in the bar. This is the first time I have ever had to do this and I found the situation really bizarre. The lighting in the area also was less than conducive to relaxed dining. And that, with the multitude of television monitors all showing English Football League matches complete with sound that clashed with the piped music, did not help matters. It’s Sunday and football is god!

The only conclusion I can draw here is that the place is designed for young people who cannot live without constant noise and distraction. It is “No Country for old men!” Let’s leave it to the “hen” and “stag” parties.

Have I anything good to say about the place? Yes, the staff were generally civil and usually pleasant. Breakfast, although it took place in the bar, being a Monday, which, with the lurid blue under-counter lighting, resembled more a night club of doubtful repute (don’t ask me how I know!), was very good indeed with a good variety of dishes other than the traditional Irish breakfast. And again the service was efficient.

This is a really grand establishment in a great location with huge potential but whose focus is clearly aimed at a particular clientelle. Good luck to it then if it can survive. But for me, I shall not be back.

Room Tip: Don't accept any room not overlooking the river if you don't like the constant hum of air co...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Gretry
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Landmark hotel

Very nice hotel in the centre of town but around the corner from the madness of main st.
The car park is around the sides and back of the building. It's like a shared carpark with other complexes.
Checkin was smooth and quick from the pleasant receptionist.
The room is standard hotel room with everything you need. Kept clean.
I found my room cold though.  It's just a storage heater on the wall with a dial on the side to turn it up but storage heaters take time to release the heat. It was fine though, nothing to worry about.
The view from my room this morning was beautiful looking out on the water and boats.
Breakfast was a highlight! The breakfast room is beautiful and the maitre d lady is fantastic. She is suited to the role and is warm and charismatic in a kind of Irish motherly way (meant as a compliment).
The hotel is very close to all the main bars. The town is very popular with stag and hen parties. Dunnes and Murtaghs seem to be the busiest bars in the town, both jammed with people. Murtaghs have a nightclub in the basement too.
Overall during my brief stay I'd recommend the landmark hotel. Would stay there again next time I'm in town

Ps: there's free wifi in the hotel
The shower in my room was incredible! It was the most pressure I've ever experienced from a shower. You could powerhose a driveway with that! Great!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for 5 nights on a work trip. I'd been told that it was a lovely hotel and I certainly not disappointed!
Reception staff on arrival were lovely and check in was quick.
Got up to my room on the 1st floor and was very impressed, overlooking the river Shannon and room was quite spacious. My room was also on the main road but with the window shut I couldn't hear a peep from it!
Only flaw was tv reception as I kept seeing programmes on a slight delay (so mouths not in synch with words!) I did report it and some reception was better but still not 100%..
I had room service most nights because travelled alone and the food was utterly divine! The staff were so friendly.
I also had breakfast in my room too - and the poached eggs were to die for! Compliments to the chef!
Only tiny niggle was being woken Saturday morning at 3:50am by some drunken bloke (who was on a Stag do) who was trying to access my room (along with a few other rooms!) as he'd forgotten where he was - but I rang security and it was swiftly resolved.

All in all - gorgeous hotel and very friendly staff. Thank you for making my stay enjoyable!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited this hotel in late October with a large group. From the booking process right through to the stay itself, Dorcas and her colleagues were faultless in their organisation of our stay. The team at the Landmark were very attentive to our needs, facilitating a swift check-in, advising on where best to visit in the town, organising dinner on the premises and entry to the nightclub later on that evening, where a table was held for us. The food was lovely, well prepared and service was prompt and friendly. I would highly recommend the Landmark for a stay, be it for a relaxing break or something more active and energetic. Unlike some other hotels which I have visited before, you are not treated poorly just because you are a group, which is refreshing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had our Christmas party here, one of the party nights just before Christmas. We had a great night, food - starter, soup, dessert were all excellent, I had the steak and found it a little fatty. Service was excellent. A local band were playing and the dance floor was full all night. I found the ballroom very claustrophobic with the no windows.The rooms upstairs are a little dated and could do with a freshen up but overall a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrick-on-Shannon
Bush Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballygawley
Sligo Park Hotel
Sligo Park Hotel
#4 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Landmark Hotel? Share your experiences!