“Very nice hotel”

Landmark Hotel
Portadown, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We arrived on Monday for a 3 night stay at the landmark hotel. We were greeted by a very welcoming receptionist. The staff throughout the hotel could not be faulted, excellent service and just the right level of attentivness We had requested a second floor, river view room and we recieved our request. If we were to stay here again however we would request an room at the rear of the hotel as there was some traffic noise throughout the night, although this was compensated by having the lovely view of the river. We ate in the restaurant on one night of our stay and the meal we recieved was fantastic, certainly rates as good as anything I have had in any hotel. Breakfast was equally as good. The only area that I could fault, and it would in no way deter me from returning, is there are a few areas where a lick of paint would help. Overall a very nice hotel and excellent staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ireland
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed here with some friends for a night away and we arrived on a (rare) hot Summer's day. We had a very friendly welcome and were directed to our room. The rooms are basic enough but comfortable and we all had our own bed (3 of us). We spent the day exploring the town and returned that night to the residents bar to rest our weary feet for a while. We had an early start the next day and breakfast was gorgeous, I had an omelette and the others had pancakes...yum, yum! Enjoyed our brief stay and would return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 5, 2012

A group of nine of us travelled to Carrick on Shannon Sunday morning to stay for one night at the Landmark Hotel. We got a great package. One night B&B, evening meal, entrance into the nightclub and a free cocktail. I couldnt say enough for the Hotel and the staff. The food in the Restaurant was magnificent and the service was second to none. We are not 20 somethings but still were going to have a fun hen night!! We did the River Cruise in the afternoon which although we enjoyed ourselves I think that it is very overpriced. After our meal dressed in the 80s theme,we headed up the town to one of the bars. We ended up then back at the Hotel nightclub. It was a great trip and will definitely go back to the Hotel. I would strongly recommend the Landmark for its wonderful food, friendly and helpful staff and lovely location.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Babsy68
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed May 31, 2012

All staff was very nice but one was not very helpful however in the restaurant/bar they were lovely!!! Food is delicious and beds are comfy! I really enjoyed my stay!

Liked a lot: Service, Value, Comfy beds!!!!!

ps. the nightclub in the back of the hotel is one of the best in the north west

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katnibhaoill
belfast
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 1night.
I was quoted for a room rate corporate €69 B&B by a gentleman behind reception but by the time I went to check in a lady quoted me €79 B&B.

If he doesn't know room rates then he shouldn't be behind reception offering quotes.

The hotel is clean and modern, quiet and pleasant but there was a smell of cigarette smoke on the corridors.

I definitley would not rate it 4star - it's 3star quality at best.

Location is handy , with a pretty view over the water /marina.

I would stay again.

I stayed before and remember the breakfast to be excellent.

• Stayed May 2012
LandmarkHotelCarrick, Manager at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Ciaran_ritchie,

I would like to thank you for choosing, once again, to stay with The Landmark on your recent visit to Carrick-on-Shannon. Also for taking the time to post a review following your stay. We welcome customer feedback and have Comment Cards throughout the hotel to encourage feedback from our guests as much and as often as possible. It is only through feedback both positive and negative that we can continue to provide the award winning service that The Landmark is committed to.

Our commitment to service excellence involves a process whereby every comment is reviewed and investigated. In the case of the room rate which you were quoted, my understanding is that the error was acknowledged and the initial rate honoured. However your feedback has raised an issue that has been reviewed and as a result we are implementing a procedure which we hope will eliminate any similar issues with the provision of and quotation of rates.

With regards to the ‘smell of cigarette smoke on the corridors’. The Landmark offers 2 smoking rooms which are available for smoking guests. And all other rooms in the hotel are – Non Smoking Rooms. Unfortunately, despite signs on doors and additional ‘No Smoking’ signage and reminders within rooms, occasionally guests choose to smoke. These rooms are then closed for ‘deep cleaning’ however it does take time to eradicate the smell completely.

The Landmark has recently been reviewed for its Star Rating and I’m delighted to say that our results were our highest yet and our 4* ranking has been fimly confirmed for yet another year. Despite the recent economic challenges that faces Ireland as a whole, The Landmark has continued to upgrade its product with a complete redesign and fit out of The Boardwalk Café, The Black Mint Cocktail Bar, our Lobby and Wedding facilities. We are committed to investing in our product and this includes our Accommodation.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful views which our Shannon View Rooms boast and that our Breakfast Service impressed you so. We look forward to welcoming you back once again to The Landmark when you find yourself back in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Once again, many thanks for choosing The Landmark, for your review and constructive feedback.

Kindest regards,
John Coen
Hotel Manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 15, 2012

First impression were the two women at check-in. It was as if they couldn't be bothered and that my asking about a room for the night was a chore. They weren't rude, just unfriendly and seemed put upon for having to do their job. OK, I can overlook that if the property is a great one, but the Landmark isn't that property.
We asked for a non-smoking room, and the plaque on our room door said it was a non-smoking room. But from the minute we got off the lift into the hall there was a very strong perfume/air freshener smell. When we entered our room that same attempt to mask smoke smell was overwhelming.
The proof the room had been used to smoke in was when I opened the windows (which only open about 4 inches) to get some ventilation and dissipate the sickening smell, I found the cigarette butts where they'd been put out on the window ledge. Based on the marks on the windowsill, it wasn't the first time someone had put a cigarette out using the ledge. Apparently the maid never saw them or I'm sure they would have been cleaned up. We propped the room door open with the ironing board in the room and hoped the smell would go away. Thankfully we were just staying for one night.
The mattress was lumpy and way too soft. You know the type, where when your partner in the bed rolls over and the soft mattress causes you to end up rolling (against your will) into the divot in the middle of the mattress.
The wi-fi in the room was sporadic and kept booting us off. Very frustrating.
Now for the positives:
There's a large screen TV in the room.
Breakfast is wonderful (mmm pancakes) and our server (Veronica?) was a delight.
Lobby and public areas are very stylish.

Too bad the positives don't make up for the rest. The Landmark is definitely NOT a 4 star. In my opinion it's a solid 3 star.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DumbDog
Meath
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed here as part of a hen group last weekend and have to say i was extremely impressed! Firstly, as i was organising the hen, the communication from the hotel was second to none. They even rang me to put a picture on the menu (thought that was a nice touch!)
Arriving down, everyone was impressed with their rooms, as was the bride who got a nice big suite! The Staff were extremely friendly and relaxed, was nice to see them welcoming hen parties too!

Dinner was really lovely, could not complain at all, lots of choice and lots of extras/sides for everyone!
Breakfast was also lovely the next morning...loads of choice and i loved the way they cook your fry/Full Irish fresh, so its not sitting there being kept hot! really tasty too!

Over all...i would definitely recommend this hotel for any sort of outing..whether hen party, group or couple! One of our group wanted a quiet room and said she had the best nights sleep..she didn't hear a sound!

v impressive hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MeathMelon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrick-on-Shannon
Leitrim Marina Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballygawley
Abbey Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 3 in Roscommon

Been to Landmark Hotel? Share your experiences!