“Good food but had been told it was closed”

Fishy Fishy Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 75 Restaurants in Kinsale
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Similar to a previous poster here I phoned in early February to make a reservation for my birthday meal on Sunday 23rd Feb and was told the restaurant would be closed for renovations until March. So I booked another restaurant which was fantastic. We stayed at the hotel next door to Fishy Fishy so saw that it was open. We managed to get a reservation for dinner on Friday evening and the food was pretty good. Just a bit confused about the renovations.

There are newer reviews for Fishy Fishy Restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having read and heard so much about this restaurant I made a reservation for my husband and I for Friday 21st February as we were staying in the hotel next door for the weekend.. I later received a phone call from the restaurant owner informing me that unfortunately they would be closed for renovations on this weekend..to my surprise while walking into the centre of Kinsale on Friday afternoon we passed this restaurant and it was open..since the owner phoned me to say they would be closed it would have been good customer service to ring and inform me that they would actually be open that night..bad business practice and bad manners!!!!

3  Thank Karen D
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Having read some of the reviews of this restaurant regarding poor service and long wait times, etc., I was a little apprehensive about eating here, particularly as we had booked for Valentine's night! However, all worries were allayed when we were given a friendly welcome and shown straight to our table. The food was really lovely, beautifully presented and perfectly cooked. I had the scallops with risotto and my husband had the hake. The young lady who attended to us was friendly and efficient and overall we had a lovely night. If I had a one quibble, it would be that the menu is not very extensive....a lot of the dishes can be served either as a starter or main. Perhaps this is due to the seasonal aspect of the food and I acknowledge that there may not have been much opportunity for fishing in recent weeks due to the awful weather. However, this is did not affect our enjoyment of the evening. A return visit (in summer?!) is on the cards!

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Pro
1. Fresh seafood
2. Lovely staff, so accommodating
3. Lovely atmosphere
4. Great tourist location
5. Prices as expected

Lovely experience, so fresh and authentic fish, you may need to queue or pre book as they are always busy but this is just a good sign.

1  Thank Rach8622
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Had a nice meal here recently. Thought the food was reasonably priced, given the excellent service and the lovely surroundings. Good portions as well. Only quibble was the prices on the wine list. Cheapest bottle was €28.95. Surely it's possible to sell a decent bottle of wine for less than that ? However, overall experience was good, and I would recommend it for fish lovers.