“The BEST Seafood Chowder!”
Review of The Lord Kingsale

The Lord Kingsale
Ranked #6 of 11 Nightlife in Kinsale
Kyoto, Japan
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 314 helpful votes
“The BEST Seafood Chowder!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm confused that this place is listed as a "club" under nightlife in Kinsale when it was dead on my two nights there and people were watching the news. I walked by here and it was definitely NOT a club. Also, my lunch review will be lumped together with people staying in the B&B. It's also listed as an "attraction" which makes no sense either. Hopefully, they will fix this.

Anyway, I had lunch here and the historical pub atmosphere was just what I was searching for in this tiny town. The young bartender waited on me at my table near the fire place and he was very polite, professional & checked on me several times. So, no problems with service and I was made to feel very welcome.

I had a bowl of the seafood chowder & this became the chowder that I would use to measure the level of all other chowder for the rest of my Ireland trip. No other place came close. Well, a place in Dalkey maybe but no one could evoke such nostalgic taste memories like the Lord Kingsale did for me.

I tilted my head and was slightly confused as soon as the first spoonful hit my taste buds. It was so familiar yet distant so I couldn't place it but knew that it was something special. And then I took another mouthful and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I hadn't had chowder like that since my grandmother died and she was a professional chef who catered parties until she was in her 80's. It almost made me sad to eat it but the good memories of chowders gone by were more powerful.

This sounds terribly cheesy for just a seafood chowder but this was true comfort food for me. I was told that it was the owner's home recipe. It was clearly not just a creamy soup with lots of fish in it.

Try the "chowdah" & love the "chowdah" because you can't go wrong with this one here.

Wicked good... :)

Visited July 2012
1 Thank kobekeith

York, Maine
“Old world charm”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I stumbled upon the Lord Kingsale when we were looking for a beer and a place to spend the night. We achieved both here. The atmosphere was friendly and cozy. Maureen was a great host and my husband said she cooked the best breakfast of our trip (and we stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels so that's a real compliment.) It's truly a magical place and you can't help but feel that when you are in the dining room Harry Potter may just pop in. It was clean, on a great street and a wonderful place to stay.

kara

Visited June 2012
Thornbury, Victoria
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Perfect place to while away a cold wet afternoon.”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

A lovely olde world pub, with a beautiful open fire and lots of nice private little spaces to sit and drink. We did not stay or eat here, but loved the atmosphere of the pub and found the service friendly.

1 Thank bcmegan
Chester, United Kingdom
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 204 helpful votes
“Warm Pub on a Cold Sunday!!”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We were a large group visiting the area and went for a drink here. We were made to feel very welcome and were offered the menu, but we'd already eaten.
The pub was warm and friendly just what we expected.

1 Thank vacationgirl58
Galway, Ireland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“lovely little pub”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Dropped into The Lord Kingsale for a pint on a recent day trip to Kinsale. Lovely little pub with plenty of character and friendly staff.

1 Thank PaddyPolski