“noise and garage workers brings down the tone of hostel and Kinsale”
Review of Dempsey's Hostel

Dempsey's Hostel
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I started out really excited and very much looking forward to my 1st visit to kinsale and after a reassuring and personable phone conversation with ...the "warden" i think he said, I was all geared up for a wonderful trip with my whole family,let me tell you it was a complete foul up, the hostel is old and small but very well kept and comfort for the most part was more than perfectly fine..but it's the staff I have the major issue with NOT the hostel minder himself he was no trouble a little difficult to pin down as he dashes around all the time, but the Dempsey's owned garage next door, I understand that Mr Dempsey has a 24 hour towing business but this all takes place across from the street from hostel so that was no burden, it's the car repair shop that I had grief with, the towing is 24 7 but does the garage have to be? there were loud foreign voices (sorry but whatever language it was it couldn't have been english and my daughter said she definitely knows one of the words was a swear word as she has heard it before from her school mates) but these men were extremely angry and this was going on at the early to late evening, the young man who is in garage was very vulgar and I would witness his disgusting cursing at constant intervals, the warden did very little to sooth this for us, he is nice but I kind of sense he gave the impression he cared but if you ask me I feel he does not give two hoots about the garage carrying on, he was great all round but very unhelpful when it got to quieting things either that or he has excepted they do what they do.

The toilets were pristine but there was a lot of oily prints and my wife ruined her dress because she got some on her finger just by switching on the light. A hostel should place it's guests with more importance it kind of goes

Garage is TOP priority next the staff then the hostel itself and the guests might get considered if all the rest has been taken care of...cleanliness no fault, warden top guy just don't waste breath or time asking him to speak to workers, the hostel kitchen is titchy but has stacks of useful things for cooking and storage places..but they really really really need to rethink their priorities.

I would never go back and never mind tripadvisor alone I am telling everyone about my experience. not good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I decided to take a chance on this little accomodation despite reading such damming reviews, I thought I will make up my own mind, it is such a peachy spot, the whole inside has undergone repainting and you can really tell, fresh magnolia walls, deep red doors and shelfing units, the warden (Roy) is a busy beaver never once did my partner or I see him not wipe a stain or readjust a crooked cusion this chap works too hard, the hostel is so great for a warm atmosphere. the staff Roy and his cronies are wonderful attendents to your every whim.

We slept in room behind reception which was the first to be attacked with the paint brush, it's bang beside the texaco which I have heard complaints about but for our nights it was peaceful.

Kinsale is awash with delicious eateries though you will pay through the conk for these, tons of little shops and stupendous walks and lots of tours...my partner has a very precise diet and he had no trouble finding a restaurant that could prepare him a proper meal.

To all those wondering about Dempseys....give it a try : ) Thanks roy good luck in USA.

Room Tip: room a or b
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kayley c
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We travelled through Ireland and slept mostly in Hostels. As well in Kinsale. There is only one Hostel, it is called "Dempseys". From the outside it looks kind of nice with the blue color. We paid for 2 persons 22 Euro each and wondered about the high price, because we never paid that much in other Hostels. After we checked in, we saw what we had paid for. The room was sort of a filthy dump, the beds were small, old and dirty. The shower had no door and we felt really, really uncomfortable.
We can´t recommend this Hostel to no one – it´s better to sleep on street, than in those filthy beds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I actually found this hostel purely by chance as I was cycling through this gorgeous quaint little town(sorry if this offends the locals but it IS little : ) ...) the house is a bright blue and the massive sign leaves no doubt what it is and I decided to pop in and when I was enthusiastically greeted by the Irish mechanic from the dempsey's garage then the hearty welcome from the manager I knew I wanted to stay and rest my weary bones, the hostel is so nice and the fact that the supermarket is just nearby is a boon.

My bed was like a cloud and there was a lovely smell of clean and hygenic all over even the toilets had a fresh piney scent, the kitchen was really well organised but be warned no freebies for anybody including shattered cyclists, I was politely asked to store my bike outside which I didn't mind as it was still where I left it the next morning.

There is a comfortable seating area which to be honest looks like a doctor's waiting room but good all the same, the manager was on call to advise what I might want to see, he really rates the ghost tour for some reason not my thing but I loved the fort of Charles.

Great manager who had a bit of the aussie lingo despite being Irish and very happy and good natured..I LOVED this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dan p
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place is a kip. A ten-minute hike uphill from the town. Admittedly it was dirt cheap, but everything about the hostel is threadbare and worn. One disgusting bathroom upstairs for at least four dormitories. Given the very cheap rate I paid, I wasn't expecting much. But even still... awful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Well, it was cheap. The double size bottom bunk bed was very uncomfortable. The mattress had springs poking through. The singles were better. The bathrooms seemed to be clean but we didn't linger. The bedding needs replacing. The furniture is old and damaged. The kitchen looked a bit basic, we opted not to use it. There was a sink in the room and the windows opened. Did I mention it was cheap? You get what you pay for.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

over the recent years myself and my family have stayed in many different hostels, dempseys is not modern but character,staff and value is way better than others before,a wonderful pool table for kids and adults to play on, gorgeous relaxation area out the back and manager and other staff very kind and easy going..however....An absolute disgrace...not the hostel or the service anything to do with this accomodation is completely irelevent my main gripe is the Texaco filling station in front of the hostel...from the miserable nights sleep with young or perhaps not so young boy/girl racers having their music blaring in the car, this was constant throughout our stay, the guy who runs hostel says the Texaco is not owned by Mr Dempsey so there is not much can be done, the car wash machine was in use and most of the time the customers had the cd/radio on full blast..I was very angry,,,hostel was clean staff awesomely good but who cares? the gas station ruined evreything...I know the hostel are powerless but surely a quick complaint done in the right manner would sooth this problem..My self and my family chose to boycott Texaco while we stayed, there is loadsof decent super markets in town anyway. sorry Dan and co I wouldlove to praise your hostel but until the texaco folks gain respect and consideration I would not even think of returning. the hostel has so much in its favour and kinsale is devine and there is a ton to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family