“Very cheap hostel in an amazing town”
Review of Dempsey's Hostel

Dempsey's Hostel
London
“Very cheap hostel in an amazing town”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hostel was quite nice to stay, as it was very cheap. But. There were some problems which we couldn't get over that easily as we managed unless it is at an amazing place (Kinsale). I think the bedding wasn't changed after each guest - so you need to ask it in advance. Anyway everything was really good. There is even a Lidl behind the building. Would still recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was greeted by Rory .... and shown through the room / kitchen / bathroom ... etc

I only realized he wasn’t the owner – 2 hours after arriving – when I complimented him on the excellent recycling system – seriously the best system I have ever seen (I always believe people are well intentioned – but it has to be made easy for them) … Anyway – when I said how great it was – Rory said please feel free to write it in the visitors book ….. happy to, I said – but that is hardly going to spread the word to the big wide world …… “ no” he replied …. “ but my boss will see it “ …. I was quite taken aback …. Until then …. Everything he had done / said - indicated to me that he was the owner/ manager ! As a past employer – I know how absolutely gold these type of employees are !! People that act as tho’ it is their own business ….

I had said – a little while after arrival – how it looked like a lovely town – and how I wished I had more time to explore (I am working – rushed visit). Rory’s response felt like a genuine “you are welcome anytime” (or something very similar !). Doubt you would get that response from most ‘front deskers’.

Three hours later – I can hear him greeting other guests – and everyone is greeted with the same cheerfulness and professional approach.

When I was an employer – I always said – skills can be taught – it is the ‘right attitude’ that sets the average employee apart from the exceptional.

It is a small hostel - and the wifi works in the room I am in !! woohoo .....

Also - when I drove into the carpark - the mechanic next door said - your headlight isn't working - replaced the globe, and checked the oil (it was low) and only charged me for the parts / oil ..... how good is that !!!

Room Tip: I was in the front room - wifi works in here (may work in others ??)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kenmare, Ireland
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Me & my mom needed a place to stay in Kinsale and this hostel ticked all the boxes :) We went to one of the Kinsale Arts Week Charles Fort Concerts, this hostel was perfect for our little adventure. The manager was very polite & friendly, not 'over the top' friendly like you get in many hotels, just a nice guy offering a basic place to sleep. He's not at the desk much, but you can press the button the phone and he's down straight away.The interiors could use a lick of bright paint and the furniture could do with some upholstering, but the whole place is very clean, I've been in many hostels across Europe all variable in quality, & this place is one of the cleanest. The kitchen is a good size, no oven, but plenty of gas hobs and a kettle, and a fridge, but I cant remember if there was a microwave or not, but i don't think so. The toilets and showers are uni-sex, I didn't mind but some people would I guess, but the hostel is a medium sized house so what can you expect? I also liked that I didn't have to rent bedsheets like I had to in most European hostels, and the beds were comfy. Me & my mom slept like rocks because the place is so quiet- its just outside of Kinsale Town, about a 5 min walk, 8 min to the Pier & Bus Stop, and about 30-40 min walk to Charles Fort. Kinsale is a beautiful seaside town, probably one of the prettiest in Ireland, I do recommend anyone visiting Ireland to go to Kinsale, but it is a very expensive little town, the cheapest b&b's will run you about €35/40 per person and the hotels even more depend on which hotel you look at so for €15 per person, this hostel is the cheapest bed you'll find. Dempsey's Hostel exceeded my expectations, and I'd be happy to recommend them to anyone looking for a cheap place to sleep :D

Room Tip: we stayed on the ground floor, next to the desk. not much of a view, who needs it when you're wa...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have travelled the world over on a budget for the past 20 years but arrived here and decided not to stay first time ever . The beds looked dirty, he kitchen was barren and did not look safe. To get from the bedroom to the toilet was a long way and through the public areas. Kinsale is a beautiful town and you could stay in a B and B for a small amount more and be near the town and enjoy the real lovely atmosphere of the town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank peacefultraveller_11
barrymanfan, Manager at Dempsey's Hostel, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
sorry you have such a poor opinion of our hostel, you were treated very well, even though you were an hour late, so perhaps you should amend your timekeeping before you get on your high horse, we have many hundreds of guests who have never complained about the bathrooms being so difficult to get to, but if we are so dirty and badly run then there wouldn't have been any people to worry about, you would have had no trouble, but the fact is we are clean and we run the hostel the best way we can, our property has annual inspections and we always pass with a colidiscope of flying colours, i find it higly offensive that we give hostels a bad name in your eyes, this is the 21st year of operation for this hostel, so we must be doing something right, you received a full refund with no fuss, you are intitled to your say, and i am allowed my response. we are clean and we are safe, the kitchen and all rest rooms are scrubbed down everyday

Travelers are raving about these Kinsale hotels

London
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I arranged a trip to Kinsale for a few friends for my birthday this year, and Dempsey's was where we stayed. There were seven of us- a mix of couples and singles, all mid to late twenties. This was exactly the right place. It's the perfect location- the main bus route from Cork and the airport stops literally right outside the door; it's a couple of minutes walk from the charming town centre, and the hostel itself is set a little way back from the road so you can barely hear the little traffic there is. Rory is the manager there- he's always around but not at all intrusive and really wants to make sure you're having a good stay- the few requests we did make he couldn't have been more helpful with. It's got big communal areas too although they do get very cold, so if you want to spend the evening in it's worth asking to borrow an extra heater. The kitchen is quite big with plenty of hob space (no oven though) and everything you need. It's basic and spartan throughout, but clean- for the price, it's perfect.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tom15896
Munich, Germany
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed at Dempsey's last year on my backpacking tour through Ireland and I really enjoyed it. Although it's a very basic hostel it was clean (which is the most importan thing for me, I don't mind basic accomodations as long as they are not dirty) and Rory, the guy who worked at the hostel (btw: all the time, 24/7!), was more than friendly. I had a very warm welcome and was offered a nice cup of tea in the conservatory (I enjoyed that place especially in the morning, when the sun came in). He was always there when I needed help or advise and he gave me some tipps what can be seen in the area around (don't miss the Charles Fort!). I even extended my stay as I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere in the hostel so much and met some really nice people there.
It often happens to me in hostels that I hear people complaining about dirty dishes etc. but never see them cleaning up their own mess (happened to me at Dempsey's). Common enough that's the main reason for dirty kitchens etc.
If you are looking for a luxury accomodation this hostel is not the right choice, as it is defenitly basic, but if you like indipendent hostels with their special aura and are looking for a friendly place to stay close to Kinsale Dempsey's is to be recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank KatrinSN
well it's a massive treat to read such a lovely response, you were a joy to have here and i thank you for your kind words
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I did not enjoy this hostel at all..... It smelled very bad , the service was poor , it was near a busy road, and the rooms were cramped. The only up side being it's close location to kinsale .

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Mrmasontravelreviews
barrymanfan, Manager at Dempsey's Hostel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
As the manager of this hostel, i endeavour to treat everybody who comes to stay as well as i can manage, however i am sorry that you had such a bad experience here, but i cannot just allow you to write your review without a response from me, first of all "dirty and smelly"? this hostel is cleaned every day from top floor to bottom, perhaps it is the cleaning products that you are objecting to, as for service...this is a hostel, not a hotel guests are greeted on arrival asked for identification, they pay what is required and then after being given the key and shown where the room they are staying in is located, we do not provide breakfast and you need to rent towels..what exactly more are we expected to do? i really feel you were expecting hotel like accomodation, as for busy road, perhaps you should have done your research, it is clearly stated where we are situated, as manager i am mostly available to assist, if you did have ANY objections you only had to say, regarding room size, we have 5 rooms private rooms and 2 dorms we would have happily put you in a different room if you wanted, they vary in size, i have checked date you stayed on our records and we were not fully booked,so we COULD hve moved you, NO! i really think you are best staying in hotels from now on, if you are unwilling to speak to the management about your objections, i am not at all pleased about your review,we get inspected regulary and the cleanliness has never been an issue with this body since 2008 when i took over in July! so again i apologise it wasn't a good stay for you, but i fear this was hampered by your hotel for hostel standards!