“weekend away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Western Ireland, Ireland
“weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed here a few times previously. Very nice since the revamp - love the new look. We had a harbour view room - bright airy and soothing colours and a great comfy bed. Breakfast was not great though. I had the Eggs Benedict and had to leave it as all I could taste was a really strong vinegar - When I mentioned this to the staff member she just shrugged and said she'd mention it . . .??? Not really the reaction one looks for when you complain!! The following day I had the full Irish - it was much better but not fantastic. The breakfast chef could do with some training. Other than that the hotel is lovely and I would certainly stay there again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
The Woodlands, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view of the harbour.

This hotel was recently renovated. The art work was so beautiful I asked if I could take it. (Pictures were all black &white with a splash of blue)

Breakfast was nice. Great selection of juices (they had grapefruit juice!!) Friendly staff. Bed was comfortable and shower was awesome. Did I mention the view!?!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Aprilthenmay
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed three days from the 6th to the 9th of May 2013. The hotel is really well renovated, with nice walk in showers, good beds with great mattresses, in the rooms. All up the hotel is a bit of a gem, central in Kinsale, free parking, nice bar and good breakfast. Staff was really nice and helpful, so I recommend it and would stay again if I was in the surroundings. Just behind the hotel there is a nice Italian restaurant, the Stolen Pizza, which is really good, as is Fishy Fishy very close by.

Room Tip: Choosing a sea facing room is recommendable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin_the_Dane
Kinsale, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My family and me moved to Ireland a couple of months ago, in order to have a better quality of life. Now that we have settled in we wanted to join a gym. We had already visited Carlton hotel Kinsale, were the staff were very friendly and who took the time to give us a tour of the gym and facilities.

My husband and I wanted to shop around before we committed to a yearly contact, so decided to check out the Action Hotel Gym. We were aware that the hotel had recently had been under construction, however we still wanted to have a look around and we wanted to find out prices ect.

We decided to go and ask at the main reception area. As we entered the hotel we noticed a young couple walking away from the reception area. I can only describe the young couples mood as looking very sad and upset.

My husband and I noticed that there was only one person working behind the reception desk. She was a middle aged women as we approached the desk straight away we could tell that this women was in a mood which I can only describe as sometimes liked the weather in Ireland, dull, frosty and very cold.

We asked the women about the gym. Before my husband could even finish the sentence. The women snapped back stating that the gym was being refurnished and it would not be opened until the first week in June, and she did not know how much the membership was. I tried to ask another question as i did she rolled her eyes and in a very sarcastic manner answered I DON'T HAVE ANY INFORMATION.

The Irish are know for there welcoming hospitality not hostility. Being polite and helpful cost nothing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Maria C
Sarah D, General Manager at Actons Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Maria C.

Thank you most sincerely for bringing this matter to my attention. I am extremely concerned to hear of this incident and I apologise unreservedly for the manner in which you and your husband were addressed. I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly so that I may fully address this issue.

Once again on behalf of the team here I again offer our most sincere apologies, we are committed to delivering the highest level of guest care and I am extremely sorry that in your experience this was not the case.

Yours sincerely,

Breda Keane Shortt
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

How nice to come back to Actons to inspect the refurbishment and discover that all the potential of its wonderful location is now being fulfilled. Teething problems? A few, but nothing to disturb the impression that they've got it right and are working hard to make things work. Lovely staff; great views of the harbour; great value for money

Room Tip: A harbour view is a must
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed in Actons as part of a christening party on Saturday 27 April of this year. Actons had just reopened after being refurbishment works so I was expecting nothing but good things from the standard of finish. Upon arrival our check in was expedited by the Manager on duty (Amie I think - sorry if thats not your name!). We were checked into Room 321 (standard double) but were immediately informed that the shower was not working. There is still some snags that need to be fixed from the renovations. We were also offered room 311 down the hall as a changing/shower room to compensate for this and there was fresh fruit and water put into 321 for us. Although it was a slight inconvience it did not detract from the stay at all. Room 321 was a large double room with seating area, workstation, flat screen tv etc. It is located to the rear of the hotel so no sea views. We were lucky in the fact that immediately behind our room across the narrow street there was no another building, so our room was not over looked. Everything in the room was new and the bed a proper double. To block out any street noise, the windows were fitted with another internal sliding window, a pull down blind and black out curtains. We did not hear any street traffic during our stay.

Just one point to note on the rooms. Room 311 was a very small double located behind the elevator shaft. It is not suitable for double occupancy. It is ok for a single occupancy, quick one night stop over and all you want to do is sleep. It is a small room and as I said behind the elevator shaft, so you do hear the workings when it is in use. The great thing is Hotel Management recongise this and did not try and squash people in there just to sell the room, which they could very easily have done. The hotel was fully booked out, yet we were offered room 311 in addition to our own spacious room. We were also to invite a non-guest to book into room 311 for free if we wished.

We did not eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment on that, but the breakfast was lovely, and despite being busy, service was quick and attentive. The lesuire facilities were closed so unfortunately we did not use those facilities either. The car park can get full quickly, so if you get a car space, park up for the day, otherwise you have to find on street parking nearby which can be challenging.

What stood out the most for us was the standard of customer service and attention to detail from the staff. We stayed in many a placel from B&B's to 5 star hotels across the country and yet I can say that the customer service in Actons was second to none. From management, receptionists, to all the bar staff. Service was always friendly and efficent.

All in all, I would throughly recommend the hotel if your looking for somewhere to stay in Kinsale. As for the location of the hotel, you cannot find a better place.

Well done to the Management at Actons, whatever you're doing in the background to keep your staff motivated it is certainly working. Also well done to the all the staff, especially the bar staff. I hope that there is an option of a pay increase at your next review....

Room Tip: My sister booked a delux room. She was in room 324. Seaview, small walk in closet, and sightly large...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rob C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Trident Hotel Kinsale
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,284 reviews
Perryville House
#7 of 55 in Kinsale

Been to Actons Hotel? Share your experiences!