“Delightful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Waterford, Ireland
“Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at The Blue Haven Hotel recently and adored it, I had been to Kinsale on a few occasions and stayed in some of the larger hotels but this time I was on my own and apprehensive as a result - I needn't have been. The hotel is brillantly located for pottering around the town, the entrance lobby and stair area is definitely not plush or large but it's an old building and it's absolutely charming - my room was small but I was told this from the outset and I had absolutely no issue with it at all, it was spotlessly clean, the view wasn't amazing but again I wasn't planning on sitting in the room for any length of time so it was fine. My bed was amazingly comfortable and I was loathe to get out of it - even for Breakfast next day!
The bar area is lovely and comfortable with the Bistro off of that, I relaxed for an hour or so with a glass of wine, there was plenty of coming and going with both tourists and locals in for food - the Bar menu looked brillant and I was really tempted to eat there but I also wanted to potter to some of the other bars and restaurants in the "foodie capital of Ireland"! After dinner I went back to the Bar to have a drink, it was busy - again with both tourists and locals - a great sign of a good establishment if the locals frequent I find. There was live music which usually doesn't interest me but these were very good.
Breakfast next morning was lovely with everything hot made to order, the way it should be :)
Madeline the receptionist is a huge asset to the hotel and she was really friendly throughout my stay. All in all, I thoroughly recommend The Blue Haven and I'm really looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 9oakpark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed there with my partner in May 2012. I would highly recommend going to Kinsale for anyone who hasn't been - it's really picturesque, it's very close to the sea (Old Head which is about 15km away is a must see!) and it's close to Cork City so plenty to do and see for everybody.

The hotel itself is in a great spot which is both a plus and a minus: it is really easy to find and it is right next to many of the Kinsale restaurants / cafes / bus station / shops however that comes at the price of no hotel car park and noisy rooms facing the street. If you are staying at the hotel just bare in mind that you would have to park in one of the two free car parks in the town which can get quite busy over the weekend.
The room we stayed in was quite spacious and very clean. The furniture had an old fashioned feel to it but it actually worked within the hotel decor. There were full tea / coffee making facilities plus an iron and a hairdryer. The bathroom was a good size, very clean and was fully stocked which is not always the case. I particularly liked that there was a letter from the hotel management welcoming us and letting us know what the weather would be like. The directory of services folder which included a list of important / emergency numbers was a simple yet great touch.
We found the staff very welcoming and polite and the customer service great.
There is great food choice within the hotel - we ate in the Bar. The atmosphere was great and I would highly recommend the steak sandwich and the chocolate, orange and vanilla cheesecake - delicious!
The only downside was that our room was facing the street and was right above the reception / bar area so it was quite noisy up until 3-4am which is why the ear plugs came very handy.

Room Tip: For light sleepers or if you are traveling without ear plugs, I'd advise picking a room on the i...
1 Thank RumyAna
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

The Blue Haven is in a great spot in the middle of Kinsale, right at the hustle & bustle of things. In terms of location, this is perfect.

We stayed in room 1, which was nice & very spacious, though not the most comfortable of beds I've ever slept in! The hotel has a great bar area & there was live music every night, plus the service was very good so you're well looked after here. We had breakfast included in our price each night & the food was good, though unfortunately was nothing special really. That said, there are loads of great bars & restaurants in very close proximity (in particular The Spaniard Inn, Fishy Fishy & The Greyhound were nice) so it's no big deal.

Parking was the only thing that was a bit of a pain. There is no hotel car park, so you either have to pay for on-street car parking (& it's difficult enough at times to get a spot nearby!) or else leave your car in a free car park, which is about a 5 minute walk away.

1 Thank KABDublin
Wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I bought a foodie-hotel break for two through LivingSocial Deals with Blue Haven Hotel in Kinsale. It was a great deal which included 2 nights accommodation, free lunch, wine with your dinner, one day bike hire for two, a Blue Haven cookbook and a complimentary box of chocs in the room. I had to change my dates a number of times but each time I called the lovely Madeleine at the desk was very kind and accommodated me on each change with no hassle or extra charge to me at all. The room was beautiful and spacious, and the decor had a kind of old world feel to it with lovely ornate chairs and lamps and nice high windows. The (giant) bed was super comfortable and although we didn't avail of it they had a pillow menu from which you could choose your preferred pillow softness, which was kind of cool.

The food at the freebie lunch was delicious. I thought they might skimp on the portion size it being part of the deal but they were massive, and really tasty. Breakfast every morning was cooked fresh to order with a nice selection of breads, cheeses, salmon or fruit to have while you waited.

The location of the hotel itself is ideally situated being less than a minute's walk to the water, 3-4 mins from the main bus station and all the best pubs and delicious restaurant within rolling home distance.

Two important things to note maybe for older guests are that they do not have lifts in the hotel so while there is someone to carry your bags up for you, you'll still have to carry yourself up. Also there are no hotel parking spots but there is a free carpark 5 minutes walk away.

The quality and service we experienced at Blue Haven in Kinsale was fantastic and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank aineb
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is such a quaint hotel. Our room had window seats you could sit in and view Main St. A grocery store was right across the street and the owner was delightful. Kinsale is a cute town with great shops. We were in Ireland for 10 days and went from Dublin all the way around the coast and Kinsale had the best shops with unique items. We took a beautiful walk up to Fort Charles and ate dinner at "The Stolen Pizza". We lived in Italy for 4.5 years and this was some of the best spagetti carbonara we have ever tasted. All of his cheeses and other Italian ingredients are imported from Italy. We also ate at the Blue Haven Bar and the food and entertainment were great. The young lady at the front desk was so helpful in giving us driving directions and information on sites to see in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beth t
Rathgar, Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband Dave and I were booked in for two nights from 3 - 5 May. We were to stay in Blue Haven but asked for a quiet room. They kindly put us up in Sister Hotel, Old Bank House which is only a hop & a skip away and they left our luggage down for us. All the staff were lovely - they went out of their way to be kind and helpful. The food was fab. too esp. the breakfast. No rubber sausages or rubber eggs here. All hot food served to your table and loads of choices on an extensive menu and lovely starters too that you can help yourself to. There's a cute little shop attached with lots of home-made stuff to buy if wanted.

Room Tip: Room was fifties style but large, clean and a nice big bathroom.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the 15th of April and from check in to check out we just loved every second of our time here. Madeleine at reception is an asset to the hotel, she was so friendly and helpful and made us feel like we were the only people staying there. We had my Mum and our three little girls with and we were unaminous in our prise for this gem of a hotel. If I had to have a gripe it would be the lack of a lift that said, the staff handled our bags so it really is just laziness!

• Stayed April 2012