“When being overbooked turns out to be a great thing”
Review of Perryville House

Perryville House
Ranked #6 of 53 Kinsale B&B and Inns
kilkenny
“When being overbooked turns out to be a great thing”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I was due to stay at another hotel as I was attending a dinner in Kinsale - theorignal hotel called me at 6pm on the evening of my arrival, just as I arrived in Kinsale after a long drive to let me know they were overbooked - as it happened I was delighed to stay in the lovely Peryville - great location and the atomosphere and welcome of the building made me want to stay in and read a book by the fire - best nights sleep I have had in ages - I had forgotten how lovely Kinsale is and I will be back and I wil be booking the Perryville -Carrie

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank carriemosley0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
London
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Great Location, huge room, big comfy bed. Friendly helpful and charmingly Irish service.

The decor was traditional and little twee, but nice and in keeping with the style and age of the hotel.

One downside was no heating in the room or bathroom which was ok as it was fairly warm in October.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Tampa, FL
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We drove by on our approach into Kinsale and decided to explore the possibility of staying at Perryville House, altho we had stopped by the tourist office and they told us Perryville House was no longer a member.
The gentleman that greeted us was cordial, showed us a room, and we decided to book for the night. Breakfast was typical, after the wait staff forgot to put our order in. Nice recovery on that one.
Before leaving, my wife decided to curl her hair with her curling iron brought with us from the States. We had a brand new electrical converter that we had purchased upon arriving in the country and had used it in other hotels. Luckily it was heating up on a glass table, because the plastic tip on the end completely melted and fell onto the floor, and I recovered it before any damage was done.
When I approached the woman in the office at check out, she immediately became very defensive and downright rude. We were just trying to make her aware of the situation. instead of being concerned about our welfare, and her property, she accused us of it being all our fault. In all of our two weeks in Ireland, this property was the ONLY one that did not treat us with the incredible Irish hospitality. Trust me, eventually this will catch up with them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Savetheday
Dublin
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Perryville is a truly beautiful property in a stunning location, overlooking the harbour. Kinsale is a beautiful place and staying somewhere like Perryville is in alot of ways the "perfect" place to say...alot of the rooms overlook the water, 4 poster beds, beautiful furniture... however that's where the story changes...the business is run by 3 people, think they are all related, one of them is very sound and most helpful, however the other 2 were so rude, helpful when it suited them...at times made you feel you were trespassing on "their property" ...they so need to learn to be polite!! Anyway if you decide to go you will see what I mean, both good and bad..if you decide not to go there are so many other options...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank katsdublin
New York
Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying in Perryville House. We spent a wonderful 2 days there during our memorable trip to Ireland. Barry was so friendly, helpful and humorous and the owners Andrew and Laura were truly great hosts. We also had the pleasure of meeting their daughter Katie. Its so nice to still see family run guesthouses.
Unfortunatley the weather was wet so we couldnt get out to the golf course but Laura was'nt going to let that ruin our trip. She booked us into a lovely restaurant for lunch and suggested we take a drive in the rain down to west cork( which i thoroughly recommend).
Each evening Barry organised dinner for us in different restaurants, it was nice to get a taste of some of the good ones while we were there.
Our room was stunning with fabulous harbour views and tastefully decorated by Laura.
Breakfast each morning was so delicious I dont know where to begin! There was freshly poached fruit which was a real treat, fresh soda breads and delicious honey that I gather came from Andrews own bees! I dont eat eggs myself but my husband raved about them so they must have been good too!!!
I really have nothing bad to say about Perryville House and i'll be recommending it to all my friends and we'll be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed in Perryville having read all of the reviews on here. We arrived at around 2pm and were welcomed by Barry who said we could have a free upgrade to the top room. We too were in room 37 as a fellow reviewer has said and the climb to the top is exhausting - but good exercise!! The room was beautiful and the house is stunning. The view of Kinsale from our balcony was fabulous. No complaints... None!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
media1
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We have just returned from a weekend trip to Kinsale and feel our money would have been better invested in a tent !
We stayed at the Perryvile House, and for €99 per night they have some cheek.
I am sure that 10 or 15 years ago it might have been a plesent place to stay, but the fact that the present owners have done little or nothing apart from a few dodgy patch up jobs in the past number of years makes the Perryville House look shabby.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room's, the breakfast consists of one block of cheese, a bowl of slightly old alpen, stale bread and a few other assorted bowl's of left-over's the owner's were reluctant to eat themselves. You could order a cooked breakfast but as advertised on the back of the bedroom door €12 would be a bit expensive.
When you arrive you are presented with a real key and a gaint fob which you are told to leave in a potty at the end of the stair's every time you leave as the owner's could not be bothered to man a reception area, and if you want to re-enter you have to ring a bell and wait for one of the owners to get up off there backside to answer the door.
In today's economic climate the owner's of the Perryville House might be well advised to reduce their price' s perhap's €20 per night might reflect well on what is on offer and the owner's could also do what every other establishment does and ask their guest's if they had a plesent stay at check-out time instead of just taking their money

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple