“A great day of creative, hands-on fun!”

Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre
Ranked #14 of 34 things to do in Kinsale
More attraction details
Owner description: Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre offer short courses in a wide range of arts and crafts throughout the year. These include pottery, stained and fused glass, jewellery-making, mosaics, batik, needle felting, weaving and rag weaving,sculpting in silver and childrens arts and crafts. We specialise in one-day workshops and weekend breaks for visitors, and half-day sessions for groups of between 6 and 50 people. The Centre also has a large gallery of Adrian Wistreich's ceramics.
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I booked an afternoon pottery course here for myelf and himself so we could try something new together, and since we can never agree on which strenuous outdoor activites to persue I thought an afternoon of playing with clay couldn't go too far wrong!
I didn't know quite what to expect as I had very limited experience with clay and himself had none but we had heard great things about Kinsale pottery and decided to give it a go. When we arrived we were immediately made feel at home, the group was introduced to the instructors, we were shown where the tea and coffee was (hurray for tea!) and we were put to work on making our wall plaques. After some creative coaxing from out instructors the plaques were finished and we each proceeded to "throw" a piece (cup, bowl, etc.) on the potters wheel under the firm but gentle guidance of Adrian. (I would advise any girls to cut your nails before working with clay). We were both extremely proud of our cup making efforts, though in retrospect I think Adrian rescued our pieces several times; its not as easy as it looks! We were given a tour of the ceramics gallery which was filled with amzing pieces. Full of inspiration and grand ideas we returned to the tables to attempt the final piece of the day; a sculpture of your choosing. I made a seal and himself made an elephant which we were proud as punch of. Animal themed pieces seemed popular all round and everyones looked brilliant. We left that evening with instructions to return in a fortnight to collect our pieces which Adrian would fire and glaze for us. Two weeks later we colleted our wall plaques, cups and sculptures which had turned out better than either of us expected. We were pleased with ourselves and absolutely love our pottery pieces from the class. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Hi Adrian,

Just a quick note of sincere acknowledgement - to say how much I savoured, and gained from, the one-day pottery course.

The experience was not only educational in a crafts and artistic sense, but was most therapeutic to boot. You are a very competent facilitator.

I am hoping to perhaps do a couple of drop in half day courses, if available, early next year. I especially loved the throwing and forming on the wheel and would love to do some more of that. I am looking forward to collecting the pieces fired and finished - my first efforts at the potters craft

Had a great day and will certainly recommend to others..

Many Thanks,
Tony from County Kerry

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We did a one day intro to pottery workshop and I would highly recommend it. You get to create 3 pieces, and despite not having done anything creative in 20 yrs you get into the swing of it. Also you get an hour and a half for lunch, which means you can pop down town to Kinsale for a leisurely lunch. You cant take your creations home the day of the course as they have to be 'cooked', so you have to come back a few weeks later. Another trip to Kinsale and a wander around a pottery shop? How Bad....

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I just started with the pottery classes - its just what I needed -- very therapeutic.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Learned so much in our 3 hour pottery class with my 2 children.Adrian was a lovely teacher,very informative,helpful and patient.I love the lovely quiet location where you can totally relax.Enjoyed the tour of the gallery and looking forward to returning.

1  Thank olozzy