“remarkable views of marina”
Review of Trident Hotel

Trident Hotel
Ranked #16 of 75 Restaurants in Kinsale
Cuisines: Irish, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed two nights midweek in Trident, and loved the remarkable views over the marina from the bedroom's ceiling to floor window. . Our room was comfortable and spotless, and had a very modern shower unit, plus the usual teamaking facilities. Breakfast was in the upstairs restaurant, and again the view was beautiful. Nice way to start the day.! ......We ate one evening in the Wharf bar, and found it to be quite good, with fresh monkfish for my wife, and I had a seafood salad with some of the nicest prawns I have eaten. Reasonably priced , and the bar manager has a nice relaxed way with customers.Overall staff was friendly and efficient, and I would certainly like to return, but only if I had a room with a seaview, as some of the bedrooms face a backstreet.

1  Thank noel k

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Dinner was very good, would recommend fish dishes, very fresh. Breakfast was ok, not our best on the trip, but accommodating to our large group.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Trident is at "World's End," right on the water. The rooms are clean and comfortable, many with a water view. There is a nice bar on site and the restaurant serves a very nice breakfast buffet. It was an easy walk from the hotel to The White Lady and Fishy Fishy for dinner; a little bit farther to the downtown shopping area. All in all, a great place to base your visit to Kinsale.

1  Thank Doug508
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went local as we got in late and couldnt be bothered to cook. This is a pub under the Trident Hotel and is part of the hotel.

The place dominated by large screen TV's showing the Euro football but no-one watching it. This place always has TV's on which isnt our taste but in fairness we knew that and just wanted a decent quick meal, nothing fancy on this occasion.

Emphasis on the word "decent" above. I'd qualify my review by saying I am a foodie but I can accept food which is honest and not trying to be something it isnt as long as I ordered and am served what I am expected to pay for.

Further I'd say I havent been here for a while but have previously stayed in the hotel which was then nice, and eaten in the Pier One restaurant above which was also well regarded by us in the past. Maybe we should have gone up there instead but then perhaps that's gone downhill too? I wont be finding out now though.

My wife ordered fish and chips and I ordered the cheese and bacon burger. Have had that there when the place was owned by the previous owners. I'd describe that previously as "never fantastic but always very acceptable". I can only say it has gone seriously downhill as well as the prices having risen despite the recession. It didnt surprise me the place was not at all busy.

As eireannach57 also described, the fish and chips served consisted of far more batter than fish and the chips were pale, soggy and cooked in what was very obviously oil which was past its best and had tainted the food. My wife did her best to pick out some fish from the plate delivered and pushed the rest aside. We'd hazard an educated guess that the fish was most likely previously frozen rather than fresh despite being on the quayside of a fishing port. Fish has a drier and tougher texture when frozen than fresh and this did.

My cheese and bacon burger came and was accompanied by similar chips. Limp, pale and insipid, and stale cooking oil. The burger itself had a thin square of processed cheese added to the top. I ask you, what self respecting chef would use one of those? I wasn't in McDonalds was I? Overall I ate the burger and bacon as I was very hungry but I pushed aside the rest, including the limp and tasteless salad, made with ingredients obviously long since cut and left laying somewhere to dry out.

We had 3 small glasses of wine between us at the cost of €5.70 a glass for a small glass of house Sauvignon Blanc. The wine was drinkable but am I unreasonable when I say I think this is an absolutely outrageous sum to pay for a small glass of wine? I do expect to pay between 200 and 300% mark up when I drink out, BUT you can buy an entire bottle, of which you'd get 5 of these sized glasses from for less or the same money and there is just no value at all in eating out here.

We left saying we'd never spend a cent in there again as honestly I believe a couple of kids in the kitchen could have done better if they only cared about what went out to diners. The chef here obviously has no pride in his work or is perhaps on such a tight budget that customers are served food bought at the cheapest price and served beyond its best? This is counter productive because it is never going to bring people back for a second meal. What is the F&B manager doing? What must tourists think? Perhaps the Trident doesn't care and believes they only feed a tourist and tomorrow or next week there will be another one? However I think that your local business is very important as we are here and can dine with you all year if you make it attractive to do so. It should not be difficult to serve good honest food, it really shouldn't.

It isn't just the Trident when it comes to drinks but no wonder Ireland is going bust. I love the place I really do but in all honesty it deserves to go bust as it is just not competitive and shows little sign of becoming more so in this respect.

The total bill for one course of rubbish each and those three glasses of wine, allowing for a couple of Euros tip as it wasnt the waitress's fault, was €45. Not a huge sum for honest pub food but for what we got it was outrageous.

I honestly dont mind paying for decent food when I eat out and can mix it up between cheaper and more pricey places depending on mood, occasion and requirement. I have to travel to the West End of London pretty often but have to say there I can eat much better food for the same or often less money so I am pretty much off eating out locally here as I am almost always left feeling "I wish I had just bought some decent ingredients", which are plentiful here, "and cooked it ourselves at home". In fact that is what we usually do but I am more than willing to eat out if it is worthwhile. I dont even mind that I pay more in Ireland but please at least serve food that is value for the money and tastes nice. Is it too much to leave thinking "that was good!"?

I live here and they call this place "The Gourmet Capital of Ireland". It may have been once upon a time, but those days are long gone in my experience. It pains me to say this as I want the place to thrive, but honestly don't think around here that they'd know a really decent meal if it hit them in the face.

The best places in town now as far as I am concerned are Jim Edwards' gastro pub but even there, whenever I request "please actually cook the vegetables a little as al dente is different to warmed raw", they don't listen. My neighbour has been twice lately tho' and reported it was very poor so not sure what has happened. Jim and Pauline have handed over the day to day running I understand. Perhaps it is showing? The scampi used to be superb though.

We find too that Fishy Fishy is not what it was since Martin stopped cooking himself and though we had high hopes I honestly find the new restaurant a poor relation to what it was when Martin and Barry cooked in the old shop. Not only was the food better then in my opinion but also at least there too you got a little bit of tomato, a slice or two of raw or pickled cucumber and a parsnip crisp in your ramekin of side salad. Sometimes a sprinkle of parmesan too or some dressing to add some flavour. Now its just a little pot of boring green leaves. Sorry to say but at the prices charged this is just not good enough IMHO. Martin Shanahan can really cook. I just wish he was still personally preparing my food .

Man Friday's is generally quite reliable and the introduction of a cheap-"er" table d'haut menu and the same at Jim Edwards is a welcome initiative. I'd commend them for that but I'd still say when compared to London, even top restaurants in Mayfair serve better food at better value than eating in our local pubs. I find that sad.

Other restaurants I have eaten in locally

Crackpots. My lamb was still frozen once you got past the hot sauce on the outside and went back - to be further microwaved. My red wine was undrinkable and chilled. I complained and was told "oh my gosh, when we closed for the winter someone put this in the fridge and you just got a glass of it". Great!

Toddy's. Had a black pubic hair sticking out of my desert. I brought this to the owners attention and was told it was from a pastry brush. I dont think so unfortunately. I was offered a free glass of wine but was driving so declined. I'd have thought a bill reduction offer more appropriate but this was not offered. I could have insisted I guess but since not offered I have since voted with my wallet and feet.

Max's Wine Bar. Usually reliable in my experience. Recent reviews on here make it sound like Basil Fawlty is running it now though. I'd perhaps give it the benefit of the doubt as Olivier can cook.

If you like fish "The Poachers" pub and restaurant on the Clonakilty road out of Bandon is pretty good but nicer in the restaurant than the bar in my experience. Owned by former Fishy Fishy chef Barry.

1  Thank Ballywilliam
Reviewed June 20, 2012

nice clean rooms with great showers, full haerty breakfast and would certainly return